Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > 10.2.8 and theming... any problems?

10.2.8 and theming... any problems?
unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 06:48 PM

Haven't upgraded yet, just wondering if the upgrade caused any problems with themes, etc.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 07:10 PM

Is it just me or does 10.2.8 come with:

Safari without Brushed Metal!

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Is it just me or does 10.2.8 come with:

Safari without Brushed Metal!
It's just you

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 07:26 PM

Hmmm. Sorry about that false alarm then. It must have happened because I was still on a theme and didn't revert back to Aqua. When 10.2.8 updated, I guess somethings were not yet right. Sorry guys.

Oh well, the Aqua was nice to look at for about 2 minutes, then back to Max's Aluminum Alloy for me.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 08:12 PM

It's just the same. All it did was change my about box logo back to the aqua X, and my safari skin reverted to the default buttons.
click one

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2003, 08:35 PM

Ran aquafix, updated.. didnt notice anything abnormal after reboot.. Installed themes/icons, rebooted again.. Noticed my menu bar clock is gone (and i can't enable it)... Getting this error in console:

2003-09-22 17:33:50.662 System Preferences[1216] Error locating menu clock, error = -4956

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 09:19 PM

My menubar clock is still there but it changed my X in the about box too, and replaced my MiminizeInPlace Dock and my themed AirPort menubar icons with stock ones. Oh, and it put an Aqua theme for the buttons in Safari again.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
My menubar clock is still there but it changed my X in the about box too, and replaced my MiminizeInPlace Dock and my themed AirPort menubar icons with stock ones. Oh, and it put an Aqua theme for the buttons in Safari again.
Ya I just found my MiminizeInPlace Dock was gone too. I reinstalled it, but it almost seems like Apple put MiminizeInPlace back in to OS X... Like in the dock prefs you can chose to use "MiminizeInPlace" and then it uses the command key to minimize in place, if unchecked it uses the control key... The MiminizeInPlace hack uses the control key, if I'm not misstaken. Is anyone able to use the minimize in place without the hack?
click one

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2003, 11:58 PM

Ugh, just noticed my dock has a pretty big font above the app when i roll over it.. Yay for upgrade issues.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 05:38 AM

The X in the "About this Mac" box has changed.

Toolbars buttons in safari are back to normal.

The dock is the normal one without Minimize in place and with the standard look...

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 05:58 AM

Have anyone dared to apply the MIP hack on the new dock? Or changing something in TransparentDock (like font size or adding the Hide command to the dock menus)?
Edit: TransparentDock works, MIP doesn't
If anyone has a way of getting it to work, please tell us. I don't wanna have to pay for WindowShade X just for this feature :/
( Last edited by Cerbero; Sep 23, 2003 at 06:14 AM. )

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by Cerbero:
If anyone has a way of getting it to work, please tell us. I don't wanna have to pay for WindowShade X just for this feature :/
The poster above said that it works and I've read elsewhere that it is fine. You're going to have to pay for Windowshade soon anyway when Panther comes out though, so you might as well suck it up now! :-]

(It's kinda odd that Apple is still developing new versions of the Jaguar dock now when Panther is on the verge of being released isn't it?)

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by Cerbero:
Have anyone dared to apply the MIP hack on the new dock? Or changing something in TransparentDock (like font size or adding the Hide command to the dock menus)?
Edit: TransparentDock works, MIP doesn't
I lost the transparency of my doc after the install. I reapplied TransparentDock and then I lost the dock..gone..
no way to get it back.
I had to do a restore/archive of the OS..
I guess I'm not gonna keep a standart dock with this update

[edit]: candybar screwed up my menu bar..couldn't get any of the system icon appear on it..
that's the first time that un OSX update is giving me so much troubles..
( Last edited by Patcarla; Sep 23, 2003 at 09:29 AM. )
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 07:42 AM

The poster above said that it works and I've read elsewhere that it is fine.
Guessed I messed up when I was installing it then.. I'll have to try again later I guess.

You're going to have to pay for Windowshade soon anyway when Panther comes out though, so you might as well suck it up now! :-]
Well, in Panther there's Expos�, so personally, I wouldn't really need MIP then

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2003, 12:13 PM

i think safaricon doesnt work anymore...

Mike S.
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
that's the first time that un OSX update is giving me so much troubles..
Actually, it's the third party "hacks" that are causing the trouble...

None of this stuff is supported by Apple so when a new version changes something it's up to the hacker types to deal with it.

It would be nice if Apple provided sanctioned options but they don't.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
Actually, it's the third party "hacks" that are causing the trouble...

None of this stuff is supported by Apple so when a new version changes something it's up to the hacker types to deal with it.
yeah, I know. You know what I meant..

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 01:01 PM

For the ones inetersted, I just tried clearDock and it worked.

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
For the ones inetersted, I just tried clearDock and it worked.
Yeah, works in Panther too I think, which is great.

quandarry
Sep 23, 2003, 02:59 PM

bwahahahahahaaaa!

thanx for being guinea pigs guyz!

rule one: never update just because there is an update...wait for the brave souls to do it and check macfixit for all the heartache...

rule two: wait for third party updates for all your shareware thingamajigz!

and finally rule three: after all the sorrow and misery of others take the plunge if you feel you really need the update...i mean if everything is ok why update!

[edit] almost forgot this important one that i learned from macfixit i think...always wait for the combo update package...it does really make a difference!
( Last edited by quandarry; Sep 23, 2003 at 03:15 PM. )

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
bwahahahahahaaaa!

thanx for being guinea pigs guyz!

rule one: never update just because there is an update...wait for the brave souls to do it and check macfixit for all the heartache...

rule two: wait for third party updates for all your shareware thingamajigz!

and finally rule three: after all the sorrow and misery of others take the plunge if you feel you really need the update...i mean if everything is ok why update!

[edit] almost forgot this important one that i learned from macfixit i think...always wait for the combo update package...it does really make a difference!
If Apple would leave standard UI files alone there wouldnt be any heartache. I think Apple likes f**king with the people who customize their macs. Not to tote windows, but they have always kept their UI files/methods relatively the same so that changing icons, cursors etc (simple changes) don't break with each update, and won't require updates of their respective programs. I just don't see why Apple is so frikken stubborn when it comes to customization, especially when the platform is known for it's creative designers.

Chris

swiz
GUI Punk
Sep 23, 2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
If Apple would leave standard UI files alone there wouldnt be any heartache. I think Apple likes f**king with the people who customize their macs. Not to tote windows, but they have always kept their UI files/methods relatively the same so that changing icons, cursors etc (simple changes) don't break with each update, and won't require updates of their respective programs. I just don't see why Apple is so frikken stubborn when it comes to customization, especially when the platform is known for it's creative designers.

Chris
I think its Apples way of hoping to slowly wear the customizers down until they say, " Im sick of the updates making me redo all my customizations so screw it, I'll leave it as it is."

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

things
Sep 23, 2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:

Chris
Just use a custom desktop or custom icons - most of the creative designers I know and work with never customize beyond that.
There really isn't any reason to customize the Mac OS. I've seen alot of screen shots from the "Customizers" and almost all are nasty and PC like. enough already.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by things:
Just use a custom desktop or custom icons - most of the creative designers I know and work with never customize beyond that.
There really isn't any reason to customize the Mac OS. I've seen alot of screen shots from the "Customizers" and almost all are nasty and PC like. enough already.
People are individuals, therefore they need to express themselves the way they wish. If I had to sit and look at the same boring icons in my toolbars, and same theme everyday I'd go nuts! Just because someone elses customizations are ugly to you doesnt mean it is ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I dont like 99% of the WindowBlinds themes out there but they seem to get an awful lot of downloads, so someone somewhere must like them.

Chris

malvolio
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 06:50 PM

For anyone who hasn't checked out the Software forum yet, Transparent Dock 2.1 was released today, and fixes the issue with the 10.2.8 update.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
I think its Apples way of hoping to slowly wear the customizers down until they say, " Im sick of the updates making me redo all my customizations so screw it, I'll leave it as it is."
It's not working.... themes are including more and more customizations of more and more elements all the time. I know Apple's tactics are making me want to hack my Mac more than ever. Now I even change things that I am perfectly fine with just to 'get' Apple. Subtle revenge I know, but satistying!

Originally posted by things:
That's brilliant... and it's even more brilliant that you've posted it on a themeing webboard! It's like my doctor said when I told him that it hurt when I went like this.... ,"Don't go like that". The answers to any and all problems associated with theming can now be solved by following your sage advice... just stop applying themes. Geez. "There really isn't any reasong to customize the Mac OS". How did you even find this forum?

Dace
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 07:37 PM

No problems here whatsoever...whats all the fuss abbout ?

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

t6hawk
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
No kidding. I don't know why everyone who had themes has either had to revert to aqua before updating OSX or they had their UI restored to aqua. I updated with a theme in place, transparent dock, etc., and I have no problems at all. Theme wasn't touched, dock wasn't touched - still transparent, and menus are all fine. So why has everyone else been having problems?
:)

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
Yup same for me, and the clear dock haxie seems to work fine. Got my MIP dock back in again, so everything's cool.
click one

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
For anyone who hasn't checked out the Software forum yet, Transparent Dock 2.1 was released today, and fixes the issue with the 10.2.8 update.
he cool! thanks

quandarry
Sep 24, 2003, 01:47 AM

i guess the 10.2.8 update has been pulled by apple!

[edit] i wonder if they'll have a downgrader...not that i need it...but all those poor early adopters...
( Last edited by quandarry; Sep 24, 2003 at 02:02 AM. )

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2003, 02:10 AM

no, just another upgrader probably (10.2.8 with a new build number)

Forum Links
Forum Rules