Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any Velvet Undergroud fans on NN?

Any Velvet Undergroud fans on NN?
ambush
Banned
Nov 13, 2006, 11:06 AM

pathogen
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2006, 11:22 AM

I am.

I don't think they were the best... but Lou Reed and Nico were a breath of fresh air. They were so important to New York and the foundation for an enormous rebirth of Bowery/East Village art. I think a lot of Andy Warhol's influence, which added glamour, was the requisite RocknRoll factor that Lou might not have achieved on his own. But Lou has intelligence and good instincts (Nico, not so much).

Thanks for those links.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2006, 11:31 AM

from a quick scan of the thread title; i though of the dino velvet from the movie 8mm. and i'm like yeah; we need more snuff!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 13, 2006, 11:31 AM

And then there was the whole Lou Reed / John Cale dynamic...

paul w
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2006, 02:03 PM

Indeed. I always thought John Cale was underappreciated. Lou Reed gets all the attention but I think I'd take Paris 1919 over Transformer, ofr instance.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 13, 2006, 02:47 PM

Lou Reed's voice is so distinctive, how can you NOT dig it?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 13, 2006, 03:40 PM

Cale was a jerk in person. Good performances, but not very giving in any other respect. Reed on the other hand was a good show in every way.

natural1
Nov 13, 2006, 04:31 PM

I used to hate Nico's voice, but now it's kinda grown on me. Maybe it's all those years of listening to Kim Gordon that makes Nico sound pretty good these days.

Oh, and Mo Tucker is one seriously under-rated drummer. Simple, dead-on fills - just like Ringo!

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 13, 2006, 04:53 PM

Nico's accent was just too thick for me. I like some of TVU but in small doses.

paul w
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Cale was a jerk in person. Good performances, but not very giving in any other respect. Reed on the other hand was a good show in every way.
Lou Reed has a bit of a reputation himself. Who cares, it's about the music.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Nov 13, 2006, 06:29 PM

anyone digging the beatnik lyrics as much as I do? each time I listen to them I feel like I'm reading some Kerouac

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2006, 11:37 PM

John Cale is one of the most underappreciated musicians imho. he still makes great albums and has shown such great versatility in his writing, from the orchestral stuff and sountracks to the heavier rock stuff. Lou is good, but he's almost always 'Lou' and raely strays from his dead-pan style.

And yeah - Lou has been just as much a jerk as Cale has ever been, probably more so.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2006, 11:48 PM

How about the Velvet Fog?

allblue
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2006, 08:55 AM

One of the great bands... I first came across them in my mid-teens (thanks to an older brother) and from there to 'Transformer', on to Bowie and all my musical horizons opened out from there... So, a very influential band for me, but in the wider sense I would say a direct line from the Velvets cut straight through the early Seventies directly to punk... What they used to call a 'seminal band' in other words!
'Transformer' was Bowie doing his mate a favour and producing a commercially successful album, some great songs though, although I still can't quite understand why the BBC did that very high-class multi-artist version of 'Perfect Day' a few years ago - it was a bitter-sweet hymn to smack surely!
Piece de resistance of Lou's post-Velvet career was 'Berlin' - the 'Sergeant Pepper' of the Seventies to some - more like the anti-Sergeant Pepper I would have thought! Just look at the musicians on it though - Aynsley Dunbar on drums, Jack Bruce on bass and Stevie Winwood on keyboards... They don't make 'em like that any more do they! 'Berlin' was my most played album in my early twenties, but now as I am older, having experienced more sadness, I find it all a bit emotionally overpowering now...
The only (relatively) recent Lou album I've bought was 'New York' - a lyrically brilliant album I'd say.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

allblue
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2006, 09:00 AM

PS Perhaps one of the most surreal sights I've ever seen in my life was 'Pan's People' dancing to 'Walk on the Wild Side' on TOTP! I can only presume the powers-that-be at the Beeb simply didn't understand the lyrics...
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

Forum Links
Forum Rules