Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Starcraft 2 Beta

Starcraft 2 Beta (Page 2)
JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2010, 12:46 PM

A lot of people are finding that they can not use their StarCraft 2 serial code with their battle.net account. For some reason some people's battle.net accounts are "registered" in other parts of the world, like for some reason your battle.net account think's you're in Europe. While this shouldn't be a problem SC2 Authentication Keys are region locked, so the Key and your Account Region have to match. Thus a bunch of people can't get squat to work.

Blizzard knows this is a problem, and the only way to fix it is to call and wait on hold for an hour while tech support tries various things.

P
Aug 18, 2010, 05:33 PM

Is noone playing this game here? I just got it, the single-player campaign is great so far.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2010, 06:44 PM

I'm playing it, and loving it... but I stick to the custom maps (haven't even touched the campaign).

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2010, 09:13 PM

I'm playing, but haven't played on Battle.net yet. Played some custom offline games and just a bit of the campaign. So far I'm loving it, I just don't have much time to play.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

redJag
Senior User
Aug 24, 2010, 04:26 PM

I'm playing! Played thru the campaign in the course of about 4 days.. I'm a major SC addict though. My handle in game is roachswarm and I am playing exclusively Zerg so far in multiplayer.
Travis Sanderson

P
Aug 29, 2010, 03:14 PM

Finished the campaign last night. The storytelling and overall singleplayer campaign is so much better than the first game and it really feels like a finished chapter rather than a big cliffhanger for the next part. Impressive. The song over the final credits is also a nice touch at that point.

I totally suck at playing as Zerg though. Terran siege tanks are just to damn powerful, but I hear that they might be tuned down in the next patch.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2010, 10:39 PM

Is there a demo of SC2 for the Mac ? I want to get it, but not before i see how it runs on my current box. Im on a MacBook Unibody 2.4Ghz C2D, 9400M, 4GB RAM.

Cheers

P
Aug 30, 2010, 04:39 PM

Haven't seen a free demo. You get two 10-day demo cards in the box when you buy it, but mine are spoken for.

As for your performance question, I stumbled on someone who indicates "not well". From reading the specs, I'm not surprised.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2010, 12:51 PM

I got a guest install thing setup cause a friend of mine who had bought it had a pass in the box. so i installed it.. 12GB !!!! That's larger than the friggon OS.

So...
Hardware: 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 9400M MacBook Unibody
Software: OSX 10.6.4 with all updates installed

On low settings, with shaders and textures set to medium, 1024X768... there is some sluggishness...but it is playable even with a lot of units. it doesnt look great, but the game is there. If you turn shaders and textures down to low, it looks really bad, but is really smooth. I placed an order for the game and should have it soon. (I might need some help with going from a "guest account" install, to a full licensed copy install.)

I'm tempted to do the unthinkable, and install a WinXP specifically for this game via bootcamp. any suggestions ?

Cheers

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2010, 07:18 AM

Got it. I just needed to enter the code on the disc in battle.net (website). Works without any hitch.

I quite like the way the rollout and system has been designed. The game runs fine as well(specs above).

GotY ? Most probably

Forum Links
Forum Rules