Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > USB2.0 does your PB alwaasy recongnize devices?

USB2.0 does your PB alwaasy recongnize devices?
s4iscool
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2003, 05:40 PM

I have a SanDisk2.0 card reader, and my PB only detects it about 60% of the time. Ill have to reboot for it to recognize it again. Also, the SanDisk drive doesnt always show in Finder, but it will be on the desktop if it was detected. Any ideas on how to fix this?
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2003, 07:02 PM

I have the same problem with my Lexar Jump Drive USB 2.0 flash drive. The PB 12 will often fail to recognize the drive if the PB has been asleep for a time. Plugging in the device doesn't even cause the flash drive's activity LED to flicker. (It always flickers upon initial insertion on my iBook)

The only recourse has been to reboot the system. Thereafer it works fine and recognizes the USB 2.0 device through multiple plug/unplug cycles. A short sleep doesn't seem to be a problem, but a longer sleep causes USB2.0 functionality to fail again. My USB1 drive adapter doesn't have the same problem with the PB 12 AL (OS 10.3.2)
( Last edited by Guy Kuo; Dec 25, 2003 at 09:16 PM. )

s4iscool  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2003, 11:11 PM

Yup that sounds exactly like the problem Im having. I hope someone knows how to fix this. this is a pain with all the digital photo work I do, and pulling 6mp raw images off a camera at usb1.1 is a nightmare
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

popstand
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2003, 11:22 PM

12" 1GHz owner having the same problem, with a Dazzle SD card reader. I certainly hope Apple is working on the problem.

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2003, 12:31 AM

i was having the problem where it would not see anyting on the drive and the status light was solid. so i just turned it off then plugged it in, and then turned it back on, and it worked 2 tiems so far so im 2 for 3

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2003, 12:37 AM

I've been having the same problems with my Lexar JumpDrive as well. When this happens, I turn on the screensaver, move the mouse and log back in and the drive recognizes.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2003, 03:31 AM

Out of curiosity, what USB port are you using? My 15 inch Powerbook does not detect my Logitech wireless trackball 100% of the time if the transmitter is plugged in on the right side. Left side has always worked though.
<This space under renovation>

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2003, 10:22 AM

On my PB12, both USB ports are located on the left side. I use either one and in some cases, I use an external USB hub when connected as well.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2003, 03:17 PM

Wierd! I can't get my Jump Drive USB 2.0 to NOT be recognized ever since this thread. The only thing I've done differently lately was clean out my logs using Console, but I don't think that could be related to the newfound ability to see the Jump drive despite long sleep.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2003, 09:45 PM

Spoke too soon. My PB 12 AL 1 GHZ just refused to recognize my Lexar Jump drive. Activating the screen saver and rentering my password didn't fix the problem, neither did loggin out and logging back in. A restart always fixes the problem, but it's a pain to wait through a restart sequence when you really shouldn't have to do so.

BTW, neither USB port worked.

s4iscool  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2003, 12:18 AM

add another negative to the "switch"

jamester
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2004, 12:57 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I have a Kodak 6-in-1 card reader that wasn't being recognized. So I bought a new reader, thinking it might just be the reader. Now my new reader isn't recognized. Odd thing is that just the other day after ~14 days uptime, it DID recognize the reader just fine - but a day later and it refuses to.

I haven't tried the restart option yet - I'm hoping to find an alternate method, as I agree with the above poster in that I don't want to wait for a restart when I really shouldn't have to do so. I'll try the screensaver thing when I get home, and cross my fingers.

J
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules