Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBook G4 - Absolutely a must buy

New iBook G4 - Absolutely a must buy
fener
Oct 25, 2003, 07:54 PM

I both used the new Powerbook 12'', old iBooks and the brand new G4 iBook.

THIS iBOOK IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST BUY!

Apple completely changed the skin of the iBook. The mouse is the BEst mouse on ALL of the laptops, including the Powerbook. You have to TOUCH it in order to understand what I mean. It feels very, very cool.

Apple used the same material all over the keyboard, and the lap area, aroung it. It feels very cool. It seems to be a scratch resistant material.

This skin is somewhat between WHITE AND GRAY. I definitely recommend everybody to go and touch a machine. I bet you will get one.

Also, the iBook MERELY gets hot. It is even COLD most of the times. This can also be an effect of the material they used.

The Slot load Drive is SUPER cool.

I guess I don't need to mention the Panther.

Go out, and see/feel yourself. This is the BEST iBook Apple has produced.

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 09:07 PM

Tell us how you really feel about it.

fener  (op)
Oct 27, 2003, 12:48 PM

To settle down the questions about heat:

Even I did hard disk extensive tasks, such as ripping, downloading, ..., the fan didn't come on EVEN once, for the last 3 days.

The iBook is MUCH MUCH cooler thatn the Powerbook 12". I can say it runs even COLD. It can be the cause of the material they use, since they both use the same type CPUs.

One more thing:

You CAN use Ram chips of the Powerbook 12" in the iBook.

psk-ele
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 03:28 PM

I can't wait till my local Mac Depot store finally get a new iBook G4 instock. I really wanna play with one and check out the new form factor. And, while you can use the DDR2100 Ram that is in the 12" PB, the ram is actually going to scale down its MHz to the system bus of the new iBook g4's and only run at a 133MHz........

Keep the posts coming on the new iBooks!

"When people say that Macs suck, that
means they have never used
them.....trust me...."

enk0d
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 03:52 PM

Well i have debating myself on weather i should get the new ibook but i think there is nothing to really debate over seeing how the heat in the new ibook is almost none existent now.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 04:04 PM

If the new iBook G4 really can use the PowerBook's RAM, then 1.128 GHz maximum is possible.

I'm having second thoughts about getting a 12" iBook as the price is right and it will be an upgrade in almost every respect, including MHz. If I can get a good price for mine (it's in great condition) I'll buy. Is eBay a good place to sell?
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

fener  (op)
Oct 27, 2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Scooterboy:
If I can get a good price for mine (it's in great condition) I'll buy. Is eBay a good place to sell?
Don't even wait to pick up one! Its great...

You can try selling on eBay. There often are lots of people paying really high amounts of money for iBooks.

But, if you live in a big city, such as LA, NY, ..., I definetely recommend selling on CRAIGSLIST. I sold my iBook 800 and Powerbook 12", and got really good money for both of them. I can say, much more than I would get on eBay. The best thing is, you get your money right away CASH!

Scooterboy
Senior User
Oct 27, 2003, 04:53 PM

CRAIGSLIST? Can you provide a link to this?

Thanks!
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

bpd115
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2003, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by psk-ele:
while you can use the DDR2100 Ram that is in the 12" PB, the ram is actually going to scale down its MHz to the system bus of the new iBook g4's and only run at a 133MHz........

Keep the posts coming on the new iBooks!

The 12 inch Powerbook Bus is only 133 as well and uses PC2100 DDR (266), same as the new iBooks.

The 15 and 17 inch PBs use 166 Mhz bus (PC2700 DDR, DDR333)

fener  (op)
Oct 27, 2003, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by Scooterboy:
CRAIGSLIST? Can you provide a link to this?

Thanks!
Sure,

Craigslist

Agent69
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 08:10 AM

Personally, if I was looking to purchase a 12" LCD notebook, the 12" Powerbook is still the way to go because:
  • It's faster (800Mhz v 1Ghz)
  • Double the L2 cache (512kb vs iBook's 256kb)
  • Supports monitor spanning without hacking
  • Support more RAM
  • Superdrive capable
  • Keyboard is better (since RAM is not added underneath it)
Agent69

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2003, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Agent69:
Personally, if I was looking to purchase a 12" LCD notebook, the 12" Powerbook is still the way to go because:
  • Support more RAM
  • Superdrive capable
Yeah but in Canadian dollars, it's a $800 difference for :

200MHZ
256k Cache
Monitor convenience
Keyboard convenience

12" PB starts at $2300 in Canada. 12" iBook is $1500.

I'd pay $300 if pressured for those conveniences but not $800.

But with the 14" at 933mhz ($1800), in Canadian dollars it's still $500 cheaper than the 12" and then the difference is:

77MHz
256k Cache
Monitor convenience (even less necessary)
Keyboard convenience

I wouldn't pay $500 for those differences.

I'll be grabbing a low range 14" iBook. It's got the features I need with a price my credit card can manage. I like having a small card.

** updated the PB 12" price to $2300, it's really $2299 and not $2199. My bad! **
( Last edited by darcybaston; Oct 28, 2003 at 12:12 PM. )
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

khufuu
Oct 28, 2003, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by darcybaston:
I'll be grabbing a low range 14" iBook. It's got the features I need with a price my credit card can manage. I like having a small card.
Ugh! Our price differences drive me crazy.

If you had a 12" iBook at 700 mhz, would you consider trading up to a new 12" G4 iBook? Am I going to be completely underwhelmed?

My rather impoverished girl friend needs a better system and I'm thinking of giving her mine.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2003, 01:56 PM

Khufuu: wait until some reliable benchmarks come out. By the way, giving your iBook to your girlfriend sounds like a marriage proposal, don't you think? "With this iBook, I thee wed?" Rings are so passť, you know...

As for the 14" iBook, Tidbits has a thread about what sort of logic gives you two iBook models with only a 67 mhz processor difference? What sort of marketing scheme does that fit into? On top of that, what's the logic of the 12" iBook only having an 800 mhz G4 chip?

To my mind, all the iBooks should be 1 Ghz, with the 14" being available in both the combo and superdrive options. None of this insane crippling of features to fit into some imaginary marketing lineup.

This does mean that the 12" AlBook would have to have very distinct hardware advantages over the iBook lineup, which it doesn't really have at this point (or barely has.) The differentiation between iBooks and Titaniums used to be very clear. If the 12" AlBook had fw800 and hot-swappable battery, a PC-card slot and a faster chip, I wouldn't be waffling about whether to get an 12" iBook or a 12" AlBook.

mikerally
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 02:46 PM

Extra 77-200MHz
Double L2 Cache (256k->512k)
Monitor Spanning
Keyboard convenience
Don't forget also:

- Line in jack
- Bluetooth Built in as standard
- Optional Superdrive
- DVI Video Support
- Aluminium Enclosure
- Better Graphics Chipset

fener  (op)
Oct 28, 2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by amazing:
By the way, giving your iBook to your girlfriend sounds like a marriage proposal, don't you think? "With this iBook, I thee wed?" Rings are so passť, you know...
It definitely is . I take care of my iBook as my baby; upgrade, handle with care, away from scratches, spoils, ...

I take care of my girlfriend like my (future) baby; handle with care, protect, upgrade...

It is a great marriage proposal:

"Babies Unite"

khufuu
Oct 28, 2003, 05:06 PM

You guys!

Marriage just isn't in the cards yet.

That's just what I do. When I converted to my 'baby mac' as it is called, I had given her my old PC running NT. I've always wanted a G4 but just couldn't bring myself to fork it over to a pBook. Now that the new iBook is G4, I find myself wanting one pretty bad but I want to make sure I find a good home for my 'baby mac'.

I tend to give my old machines away to family and friends if they can use them. I've even bought new machines for some of them in the past when they were starving students.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by khufuu:
...I've even bought new machines for some of them in the past when they were starving students.
Can I be your one of your relatives?

khufuu
Oct 28, 2003, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Can I be your one of your relatives?
I just knew that was coming...

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 11:34 AM

Hmm... any benchmarks pitting the iBook G4 against the PowerBook G4 12"?

I'm particularly interested in a match-up among the different iBook G4s (12"/14") and the AlBook 12". I'm seriously in Mac portable envy right now, and am looking to replace my G4/400 desktop with a Mac portable.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by mikerally:
Don't forget also:

- Line in jack
- Bluetooth Built in as standard
- Optional Superdrive
- DVI Video Support
- Aluminium Enclosure
- Better Graphics Chipset
But-but-but. Good points. Not sure if I'd squeeze those into $800 but it does bring it closer. The line-in jack I would like but I understand that USB solutions are higher quality anyway?

What does DVI video do?

As far as video chipsets go, I'm upgrading from an iMac DV SE 1999, so the 32 meg video vs. the 8 meg I'm used to leads me to not really care what's slightly better than what. ANYTHING is better!

juusan
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 04:18 PM

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge....348&doc2=43349

(the AIbook is a 1GHz)

Originally posted by ginoledesma:
Hmm... any benchmarks pitting the iBook G4 against the PowerBook G4 12"?

I'm particularly interested in a match-up among the different iBook G4s (12"/14") and the AlBook 12". I'm seriously in Mac portable envy right now, and am looking to replace my G4/400 desktop with a Mac portable.
-> 20" iMac Core Duo, 1GB RAM, lame superdrive that burns at 2x
-> MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
-> MacBook 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 04:38 PM

Bit Density
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Agent69:
  • Support more RAM
  • Superdrive capable
I had a ibook g3 for one day and took it backi for a ibook g4, and while these are good points, for the price differential between the ibook and the pb...

The speed difference is not enough for most day to day operations (the g4 is a big improvement over the g3). This is true for both cache and the clock.

The 256 ram that comes with has been more than sufficient for running apps and being speedy. (I do not run photoshop on this machine).

The keyboard on the g4 is rock solid. It is much better than the g3 one, and my wife thinks it is the best keyboard she has tried on a laptop, and I agree.

I don't need to write DVD's nor need multiple monitors. The combodrive does everything I actually [i]need[/] to do.

I would highly recommend this machine for most folks that are just looking for a machine to get the vast majority of things they need to do. But I also believe that there are sometimes where you need a workstation (more and bigger monitors, speed, dvd work... and for this I still use my PC...)

issandr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by darcybaston:
iBook 14" @ 1ghz vs. PB 12" @ 1ghz

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge....747&doc2=42349
I have a hard time believing these results. Are you saying that the pBook and iBook are virtually the same speed overall? And how come it says the pBook is running at 1.25 Mhz? And how could they be running at the same speed considering the pBook has over 1.2 GB of RAM?

Sounds unlikely, especially considering that other XBench results I've seen show the iBook in the 70s and the pBook in the low 100s.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by issandr:
I have a hard time believing these results. Are you saying that the pBook and iBook are virtually the same speed overall? And how come it says the pBook is running at 1.25 Mhz? And how could they be running at the same speed considering the pBook has over 1.2 GB of RAM?

Sounds unlikely, especially considering that other XBench results I've seen show the iBook in the 70s and the pBook in the low 100s.
"I'm" not saying, I just setup the comparison from a list of computers and offered it here. In case somebody was interested in some submitted results.

Forum Links
Forum Rules