Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Another newbie question

Another newbie question
alleycat76
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 11:19 PM

I'm not computer illiterate, despite how stupid this question may sound....

I just got a new iBook, and I'm a bit confused by the keyboard because so many of keys have more symbols on them than I'm used to. Hitting the key once gives me one symbol, hitting shift+the key gives me a second symbol but how do I get the rest, for example the question mark? (I'm using my other computer to type this which is why the question mark works, if you're wondering.) Please help.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2003, 12:04 AM

Are you hitting the function key (fn) instead of the shift key?

alleycat76  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 01:36 PM

For example, in the bottom right corner there is the key that has the question mark (?) and the forward slash (/) on it as well as the plus sign (+) in grey. When I hit "fn" and that key I get the "+". When I just press it by itself I get "" instead of "?" or "/". When I hit shift and that key I get "". What do I press to get the question mark or the forward slash? Is it possible there is a setting that needs to be readjusted somehow to stop giving me French characters instead of question marks and slashes? I haven't done anything to the computer; it should be all factory settings. This is stressing me out, because I bought it to use for school, but I can't type anything properly!

Bit Density
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by alleycat76:
For example, in the bottom right corner there is the key that has the question mark (?) and the forward slash (/) on it as well as the plus sign (+) in grey. When I hit "fn" and that key I get the "+". When I just press it by itself I get "" instead of "?" or "/". When I hit shift and that key I get "". What do I press to get the question mark or the forward slash? Is it possible there is a setting that needs to be readjusted somehow to stop giving me French characters instead of question marks and slashes? I haven't done anything to the computer; it should be all factory settings. This is stressing me out, because I bought it to use for school, but I can't type anything properly!
Go to system preferences/international/input methods

Uncheck whatever keyboard is checked, and check the one that you want... Mine is United States...

Cheers

alleycat76  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 10:51 PM

Thank you, thank you, it worked!

Forum Links
Forum Rules