Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > lagging when typing

lagging when typing
mikeini
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 02:09 AM

i was at the apple store today and was playing on the ibook. As im still in love it with it, it was kind of annoying that while itunes was playing, and i was just typing in word, it was responsive, but there was a delay (like .5 second or longer) between the time i hit the keystroke until it came on teh screen. i know this is not normal (i have used word without other apps running and its fine), so was it itunes?

can you guys run word and other programs at teh same time (like an audio cd or anything) and type a paper lets say, without having word lag (i type fast so it can get kind of annoying).

Bit Density
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 05:13 AM

There is part of the application that is called live word count. This is pretty much useless for most people. And worse it is a performance hog.

If you turn it off, then typing becomes snappy as you would expect.

natan
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 07:01 AM

Nah, it's all about console Emacs in a maximized GLterm window (split the screen into different buffers if desired). Fast!

Aww yeah.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2003, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by Bit Density:
There is part of the application that is called live word count. This is pretty much useless for most people. And worse it is a performance hog.

If you turn it off, then typing becomes snappy as you would expect.
Live word count is useless for most people and slows Word down to a crawl on older machines. It should never - ever - have been on by default. I wrote my dissertation (about 200 pages) with this stupid feature (bug) on, not knowing that it was the cause of my frustrations. This, and the double letters (which I thought was caused by my keyboard but only appears in some apps and probably is OS related) almost brought me to a freakin nervous breakdown! Bad Microsoft!

Forum Links
Forum Rules