Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > BBX has been a very busy bee ;)

BBX has been a very busy bee ;) (Page 2)
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
Change that "someone" to "everyone", and we might be able to get something done.
We could open a petition type thing on MacThemes maybe? (or anywhere but a petition hosting site) A page devoted to the need for iTunes skins and themes support in Mac OS X, professionally done graphics, layout, and examples, with a guest book/petition under that would be nice.
The only way to get Apple's attention is to show it as a cool thing and with quality examples... I don't think Steve would be happy to have people deface the OS with amateurish skins, so we need pro quality stuff.
click one

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2004, 11:00 PM

I dont think it would be a good to mod iTunes in such a way, have an extra window for playlists and controller is stupid and unusable imho, but maybe Dashboard will do the thing?

fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2004, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by cube3:
someone send Steve an email with a link to that alienware skin and ask him why iTunes can't do that
iTunes can't do that because Steve doesn't want it to do that. and what Steve says goes... or you're fired.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2004, 04:00 PM

/me has the urge to bump the Omega thread... BUT ITS LOCKED!! .

-Owl

Vi0
Baninated
Aug 6, 2004, 04:26 PM

Not to be a downer, but this topic is quite bad. Um, what do these skins have to do with Macintosh? And to be upfront, these skins are very overrated. Who would care about "dual-gyroscopic"-omatic-fantasic graphics??? This would appeal to 0.1% of people. I wish people would make something functional and sensible, rather than go down the slippery path of sensory overload. And I really dislike it when people try to bait everyone on here with equally overrated gossip about "things in the wings." What sheer ridiculousness.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2004, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Vi0:
Not to be a downer
Ooops - too late.

In any case, the forum reads ' Software > Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization' (note the absence of Mac exclusivity in there)... and if you want to get technical, the work in question is GUI customization and was also created on a Mac by a Mac artist. In addition, the work was never meant to be the ultimate in usability, it's pure eye candy (the appeal of which is probably much broader than you think - especially in this forum you seem to feel compelled to police). In fact, I'd be willing to argue that this thread has provided much entertainment and has been more widely appreciated than not, present company excepted. Now go spout your diatribes somewhere else, downer boy [raspberry]ppthttttttppppppptttt![/raspberry]

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Vi0:
This would appeal to 0.1% of people. I wish people would make something functional and sensible, rather than go down the slippery path of sensory overload.
I think you are massively, massively underestimating the number of people who long for sensory overload! The people that use their computers for playing music and videos are the same people that love some flashy eye candy. And as for the fact that it has nothing to do with the Macintosh, well it has certainly triggered the debate of "why not?"

::EDIT:: Damnit! Billy is quick on the draw!
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2004, 05:48 PM

Eye candy is great and all but not if it get's in the way of usabilty. There has to be a balance.

Think those skins look great and he's a talented artist but if I was using windows, I'm not sure if I'd want to use them on a daily basis.

I hope Omega is going to be a usuable dark theme. Right now, most dark themes are unusable.

@Ozzpot:I think you might have overestimated interest and lasting interest in such things.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by aristotles:
@Ozzpot:I think you might have overestimated interest and lasting interest in such things.
Well, I am so interested that it makes up for all those that are not.
In fact, I want these skins so bad, I am putting serious thought into buying an Alienware Laptop.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
In fact, I want these skins so bad, I am putting serious thought into buying an Alienware Laptop.
That's going off the deep end I think... Though if you are a gamer it might be cool.
click one

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
That's going off the deep end I think... Though if you are a gamer it might be cool.
Doom3 on my kickin' AlienWare system has me pretty enthralled right now On second thought, it serves no practical purpose aside from eye candy - I think I'll stop.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Doom3 on my kickin' AlienWare system has me pretty enthralled right now On second thought, it serves no practical purpose aside from eye candy - I think I'll stop.
Stop what exactly?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 08:51 PM

For those who can't download the skin to check out the animations, here's a GIF of the spin open sequence... a bit of a download, but you get to see it in all its glory this way http://www.bbxstudio.com/AWspinsequence.gif
WOW, I really love the amimation! Do you have one like that for the metal interface... I think I like that one even better! Can you post a link to it too please?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2004, 09:34 PM

LOL. Well it keeps you entertained and exercises your hand to eye coordination. I'd say Games (or at least good games) are more than eye candy. If they are good, they would have playability and and long term appeal.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 09:35 PM

http://www.bbxstudio.com/AWspinsequence.gif
Compared to you, I'm a talentless hack! I now bow humbly to you and kiss your feet. I am TRULY impressed!

Forum Links
Forum Rules