Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Mighty Mouse and Xounds not working for me in 10.4

Mighty Mouse and Xounds not working for me in 10.4 (Page 2)
elair  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2005, 01:01 PM

I had many problems getting M.M. to work post Tiger which is why I initiated this thread. Finally, and after recieving some prompt personal direction from Jason (the developer), I unambigously removed M.M. and APE and any remnants of APE or M.M. and re-downloaded the new beta M.M. which now works flawlessly. Obviously something was left of APE when I attempted this strategy before So make sure you purge all of APE or use the APE uninstaller before you try downloading the M.M. beta again and it should finally work as it should. Good Luck. dennis

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 15, 2005, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by elair
I had many problems getting M.M. to work post Tiger which is why I initiated this thread. Finally, and after recieving some prompt personal direction from Jason (the developer), I unambigously removed M.M. and APE and any remnants of APE or M.M. and re-downloaded the new beta M.M. which now works flawlessly. Obviously something was left of APE when I attempted this strategy before So make sure you purge all of APE or use the APE uninstaller before you try downloading the M.M. beta again and it should finally work as it should. Good Luck. dennis

just did as u suggested...so we'll see (fingers crossed!)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2005, 04:26 PM

was working for 3 days until now...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 15, 2005, 10:34 PM

aaargh!
same day...
had to reboot, and my cursors were gone.
reset in mighty mouse, but....nada.

am deleting preferences again, and will log out/in.

happier before the beta...!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2005, 09:33 AM

any news? stops working after every Logout/Restart.

Rosyna
Forum Regular
May 21, 2005, 06:11 PM

Install for the current user only instead of for all users. That should fix the problem.

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2005, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rosyna
Install for the current user only instead of for all users. That should fix the problem.

it is. still don't work

smeger
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 05:49 PM

I've bumped the Mighty Mouse beta to 1.2.1b2. This resolves an issue that appeared in Tiger for people who install Mighty Mouse for all users, rather than just for their individual user.

Linkie

If you've installed that beta, applied a custom cursor set, rebooted and are still having issues, please don't hesitate to email me. My name is jason, and the company is Unsanity.com.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 22, 2005, 09:27 PM

for the record,
been running the previous beta for about a week, no problems (single user only).

nice...

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2005, 08:25 PM

I've installed the new version, and i'm able to apply the cursors, but now I've run the registration reminder problem!
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2005, 09:19 AM

1.2.1b1 resolved the issue for 10.3.9 for me. Stranger than fiction though - the work computer had trouble but the home computer was fine through the upgrades and up-versions... weird.

not running Tiger-yet in either location.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 26, 2005, 10:20 AM

might be worth uninstalling ape & mm, plus pref files, and starting clean.

running mm 1.2.1b1, latest ape...no problems for a week or so...

smeger
Mac Elite
May 26, 2005, 04:48 PM

Update - Mighty Mouse 1.2.1b2 seems to solve all issues for the vast majority of testers. If you're still having problems, I don't know about them, so you might want to email me and let me know. My name is Jason, and the company is Unsanity. Which has a "com" suffix.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

PimPamPet
May 28, 2005, 12:14 AM

Sigh... The beta worked perfectly from the start. Been running the regular 1.2.1 version since yesterday, started up my mac and here we go again. I'm seeing the large blue message on my screen again.

Is there still a working link for the first beta?? Please post here. The link in the article at Unsanity goes directly to the new 1.2.1 version

thnx
( Last edited by PimPamPet; May 28, 2005 at 05:12 AM. )

dru
Senior User
May 28, 2005, 04:33 PM

On 10.4.1: MM 1.2.1 is not working for me. I got the "update registration" dialog which claimed success, I installed for just one user, it said everything was fine and just how I got the flashing screen to Support The Mac and Register Might Mouse. UGH. I tried the betas, I tried 1.2.1, I tried reinstalling Mighty Mouse... I'm readying to scream myself silly.

Is there no hope for paying customers?
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 30, 2005, 06:49 PM

yikes...

after about 2 good weeks...
got the registration flashing screen yesterday.
then, twice today (within about 2 hours).

time to kill that perhaps?

frustrating, having to keep resetting cursors...!

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2005, 07:28 PM

almost the same here, but i am sure that Jason is on it.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2005, 06:57 AM

I'm also a paying customer of Mighty Mouse. I get the same blue message telling me to register although I already am.

What's this update registration some are talking about ? I never got that. I tried un-unstalling Mighty Mouse but each time I install again I remain registered. I delete the plist aswell to get rid of it completely. Are there anymore places that Mighty Mouse hides its preferences other than in Preferences ? I know where the PrefPane and the APE module are.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2005, 07:14 PM

I just got the reminder again after installing the lateset MM,,so I am not fixed yet---I'm gonna try to install again
Yep,,Im broke again,,dang it. And I was doing fine until Quicktime Install and restart today,,
smeger are you still there?
( Last edited by brazil; May 31, 2005 at 09:42 PM. )
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2005, 01:07 PM

aaargh...
4th time in 3 days, i've gotten the registration screen, and have to reset my cursors.

nuisance...

oh well...

what next?

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 04:43 PM

Damn it, this is caused by a bug in Apple's Xcode 2.0. When you switch the compile mode from "Development" to "Deployment", it turns on a feature known as "dead code stripping". This feature is buggy and results in a global variable of mine not being initialized to zero, which means that my code never sees that things need to be set up, which means that setup gets skipped, which means that all registrations fail.

Try this, and let me know if it fixes things. If it does, we'll release in a few days. I'd hate to screw this up three times in a row!

Moral: Switching operating systems and compilers at the same time is risky for a developer.

dru
Senior User
Jun 3, 2005, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by smeger
This feature is buggy and results in a global variable of mine not being initialized to zero, which means that my code never sees that things need to be set up, which means that setup gets skipped, which means that all registrations fail.
You can't initialize this variable manually? A global? Goodness, smeger... is there no other way less fraught with danger?! Didn't they learn you no good practices in college?

I'll give your latest effort at fixing MM a tryout.

Here's hoping 3rd time is the charm.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2005, 09:23 AM

Thanks again smeger-It seems to be working for me,,I haven't seen the Reg Reminder screen for quite a while going on 16 hours.
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by dru
You can't initialize this variable manually? A global? Goodness, smeger... is there no other way less fraught with danger?! Didn't they learn you no good practices in college?

It's one of these dealies:
Code:
static SomeType *sPointerToGlobalData = NULL; // later if ( NULL == sPointerToGlobalData ) CreateGlobalData(); // do stuff with global data
Xcode wasn't setting it to NULL with dead code stripping turned on.

So far, reports have been positive on the fix, by the way.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 03:22 PM

so far so good...24 hours or so...
will report back.

smeger, thanks for staying with it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules