Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 45)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2012, 08:42 PM

Sound like you at least wouldn't be adverse to a group construction project. Beyond contributing time / redstone skills thats as far as i'm qualified to go.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2012, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Nope, but the whole point for me of putting time into a multiplayer server rather than a single player server is the opportunity to work together, and so I'm offering resources I wouldn't otherwise be using.
I get ya, but I'm perfectly capable of going into the nether myself and getting enough glowstone to last a lifetime. If I'm going to take some from you I feel compelled to pay you in some other resource I am flush with. So unless you are willing to do some free market bartering, then I'll respectfully pass on the offer.

Things I have a ton of: Diamond, Gold, Iron, Wool, Arrows, Torches, Redstone, Sugar Cane, Smooth Stone, Food, etc.....

Name your price, good sir.

andi*pandi
Feb 3, 2012, 11:05 PM

I'm up for a group project, considering I'm not very inspired at the mo.

So last night I log on and experience a not-cool-lagging glitch, wherein I run into a void and fall into a black abyss filled with skeletons and die. With my nice enchanted sword and other goodies. Blaze manages after several attempts to fish me out. It's kind of trippy being in several places at once.

Today I'm home sick and figure, I think today's a good day for brainless grinding at Blaze's. The connection is better, no lag, I get some more xp up there to reenchant another sword.

I get home and die before I can enchant the sword. Goodbye XP. aggh.

Spend rest of day watching tv. I need to create a grinder at home with that handy spawner.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2012, 11:44 PM

I get home and die before I can enchant the sword. Goodbye XP. aggh.
You can use my enchant table, just have to jump click.

andi*pandi
Feb 4, 2012, 10:57 AM

I'd decided to make a diamond sword, and didn't have my own diamonds on me, otherwise, yes that would have been good.

andi*pandi
Feb 4, 2012, 07:18 PM

grinder is working, woo!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2012, 08:44 PM

Sorta, the collection point is too close to the spawner so there are only 9 zombies waiting for you. How many times did the zombies kill you making it? I lost count.

50 lvls, Bane of anthropod 4 and knockback 2. Such a waste.
Also lit up 2 stacks of torches worth of caves.

andi*pandi
Feb 4, 2012, 10:03 PM

I moved the collection point over another 7, there are now plenty of zombies. Yeah, I died, but I didn't mind so much since a) I was home and could salvage my stuff, and b) I didn't have much to lose except the XP.

Which splash potion did you use to kill them all at once?

Endermen seem to like this arrangement more than previously as well.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2012, 11:30 PM

Nether wart then (melon + gold nugget = glistering melon) then gunpowder.
Thats for a splash health potion.

andi*pandi
Feb 5, 2012, 09:43 PM

It could use some tweaking, some of them are dying as they fall, and some won't jump, but if you afk they do add up:

Now for that skelly spawner down below...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 7, 2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I'm up for a group project, considering I'm not very inspired at the mo.
I'd kinda like to have one of those tiered wheat auto-harvesters next to the village (like from the farm posted a page or two back). Obviously this would require blaze to do the piston wiring.

No point if I'm the only one who'd use it, though.

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
50 lvls, Bane of anthropod 4 and knockback 2. Such a waste.
That's ****ing brutal.

Looks like a convention or reunion.

---

Really need to buckle down and finish the NPC Village stations as the track is complete, aside from markers and some lighting. Been hung up on creating a shelter/stairway at my mine.

Is someone ripping up the bridge outside our village? Looks like they harvested 20 blocks and gave up.

Just realized I haven't visited my Island Retreat in a week and half, maybe more.

Edit: Oh yeah, there'll be a ceiling height increase eventually. Forums seem to be presuming a full doubling of height.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Feb 7, 2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Edited for freshness.)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Is someone ripping up the bridge outside our village? Looks like they harvested 20 blocks and gave up.
Yep, since it leads to nowhere now.

Unfortunately, my diamond pick broke mid-process, so I only got a bit done.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2012, 03:05 PM

Fatty tearing down his place:

Afterward:

Lonely, fella?

Fatty's overflowing XP grinder:

...and his swift response.

My storage room, visible from the surface.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 8, 2012, 10:59 AM

So another productive night last night. If anyone is curious, the interNPC Village rail is now up and running, with two rail stations, though I believe I have to finalize the wiring on the far town station. Also, you'll pass through my mining station/wilderness safe house on the way there. A reminder it is open-air, so only day time travel is recommended.

sek, I'll have to find an example of an auto harvester on youtube, but a good example is this pic from a few pages back. I don't think the village one could be as tall, however.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2012, 11:18 AM

It's 6 wheat then a non farm block. raise 1 block then repeat. The falling water lands on the non-farm block. The hill to the south of the village is close to the right slope, you could probably place 4 tiers easy. It will need a piston for every block it is wide. 4*6*width*1.5 = wheat. Solve for width or wheat.

edit: I tried to update the map but my NAS is denying me AFP access at the moment. Something happened when I re-imaged the USB stick.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Feb 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM. )

andi*pandi
Feb 8, 2012, 11:26 AM

I've seen some vids of those, they are nifty.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 8, 2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I get ya, but I'm perfectly capable of going into the nether myself and getting enough glowstone to last a lifetime. If I'm going to take some from you I feel compelled to pay you in some other resource I am flush with. So unless you are willing to do some free market bartering, then I'll respectfully pass on the offer.

Things I have a ton of: Diamond, Gold, Iron, Wool, Arrows, Torches, Redstone, Sugar Cane, Smooth Stone, Food, etc.....

Name your price, good sir.
You gave me a stack of iron when I was down on my luck, consider this repayment.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2012, 10:19 AM

I'm perfectly capable of going into the nether myself and getting enough glowstone to last a lifetime.
Just not finding your way out.

andi*pandi
Feb 9, 2012, 11:35 AM

zing!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2012, 01:01 PM

They did get lost the other day. Good news found a big vein of soul sand.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2012, 01:09 PM

Sometimes I get so hell-bent on reaching a certain area, fighting off ghasts, etc.. that by the time I get there I have absolutely no idea where I've come from.

andi*pandi
Feb 9, 2012, 01:31 PM

The nether has so few landmarks, it looks alike. I don't venture far unless I make a path.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2012, 03:10 PM

In my most recent visit, I made a habit of using 6-torch arrow indicators, pointing to the exit route. It's an imperfect system, but it got me home.

I'm probably going to bring a ton of cobble for 2-block wide roads from now on.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2012, 07:18 PM

Server down?

andi*pandi
Feb 9, 2012, 07:32 PM

I was being kicked out a lot, but thought it was due to grinder overload.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2012, 07:33 PM

I was grinding at the time I got kicked out, but now the server isn't being found.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2012, 08:58 PM

The server froze hard, stopped responding to commands, had to kill 9 it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2012, 09:10 PM

I can only assume it was my fault, probably left it running to long at the grinder.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
They did get lost the other day. Good news found a big vein of soul sand.
To be fair I was following fatty thinking he knew what he was doing. I did figure out where we were once you pointed me in the right direction.

---

So a multitude of questions and suggestions we probably won't agree on.

Seeing as out village has expanded to eight lots, I feel like out measly little wooden fence no longer does it's size justice. Should we go to something fancier? Should we create something larger, like a walled town? Do we add fancier stuff like fake jails, shops, fountains, parks?

Also, what's the deal with the height limit? We now seem to have a creeper-like monstrosity towering even over fatty's obsidian tower.

So I'd like to connect the NPC Village to the Main Village by rail (and perhaps include a stop near the barn). I'd need to create some kind of station about where the bridge that just got torn down started. It would later also connect to the Island Retreat, where I've just added a functioning Portal.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2012, 03:20 PM

Seeing as out village has expanded to eight lots, I feel like out measly little wooden fence no longer does it's size justice. Should we go to something fancier? Should we create something larger, like a walled town? Do we add fancier stuff like fake jails, shops, fountains, parks?
As the resident design Nazi I am willing to give you carte blanche with whatever you think would look best. Also, I think it would be entirely fair to donate materials towards the beautification process so you don't have to use up all your own stuff.

Also, what's the deal with the height limit? We now seem to have a creeper-like monstrosity towering even over fatty's obsidian tower.
I noticed that as well, but didn't feel like bringing it up since we never really told him about it to begin with. I think I get a pass with my height since my house is so narrow on the top, but cyclops' place is both much taller than mine and way wider. Pretty much eclipses the whole village now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2012, 03:28 PM

As the resident design Nazi I am willing to give you carte blanche with whatever you think would look best. Also, I think it would be entirely fair to donate materials towards the beautification process so you don't have to use up all your own stuff.
I think everyone has stepped up their game in the new world. I don't have any particular design in mind, but I think we should scale the grandeur with the size of property we decide to annex) i.e., taller, wider walls if we become a big keep, smaller thinner walls if we just decide to upgrade the fence). We could probably decide if we want stuff like the water harvesting farm or my possible station inside the walls of a newer bigger town.

We could also consider moving or extending our plots. Or am I going too far?

I noticed that as well, but didn't feel like bringing it up since we never really told him about it to begin with. I think I get a pass with my height since my house is so narrow on the top, but cyclops' place is both much taller than mine and way wider. Pretty much eclipses the whole village now.
I recall that a height limit existed being mentioned, though not specified. I believe I busted your balls for breaking it to "overcompensate".

andi*pandi
Feb 10, 2012, 04:02 PM

I think the village plots should be the same footprint, for consistency. My village house is just a place to stop and rest a while, I don't feel the need to fancy it up too much. I'm up with upgrading the borders, but the nice thing about wood fence is visibility/checking for monsters etc. Stone bottom with iron bar top?

Perhaps a sign at the town borders with the town rules.

I think the ideal place for the grain farm is near the barn. It's right where you'd use it, and there's a good slope.

Perhaps now that your farm is so nice, we don't need the sheep pens in the village. Be free, rainbow sheep!

Dakar, I will check out your rail. Maybe it can branch to also connect to the end of the green line, through the other NPC. As for a village station... we have a somewhat hub in the Sek's basement where the red line, blue line, and green line meet. Maybe we can move these end points to a new station all together? We also need an orange line.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Feb 10, 2012 at 05:25 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2012, 04:05 PM

I think the ideal place for the grain farm is near the barn. It's right where you'd use it, and there's a good slope.
That's missing the point. There's plenty of wheat at the NPC village. It also never grows unless someone is around.

Dakar, I will check out your rail. Maybe it can branch to also connect to the end of my rail through the other NPC.
At the very least I can add another station near the road.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2012, 04:13 PM

we have a somewhat hub in the Blaze's basement where the red line, blue line, and green line meet. Maybe we can move these end points to a new station all together? We also need an orange line.
Ahem, that would be my basement where the transit hub currently is, hehe.

Anywho, I kinda like the idea of a single station with all (currently 4 with laminar) rail lines departing from the same place. A one-stop train hub with each of the lines to choose from with a colored wool block to designate each line. In fact, I really like this idea.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2012, 04:17 PM

If it means Laminar's dirt wall disappears from view, I may support this.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2012, 04:19 PM

You need to come up with a color for your rail projects, I'm thinking brown line.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2012, 04:24 PM

That must be that New England humor Sandler is famous for.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2012, 04:31 PM

Wow...leave the forum alone for most of a work day, and come back to find all this.

I'm in favor of most everything I've read.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Wow...leave the forum alone for most of a work day, and come back to find all this.

I'm in favor of most everything I've read.
Hold onto that thought, editing something about stealing all your stuff into my posts...

---

Forgot to mention, but lots of cool shit in this weeks snapshot. Zombies will now break down wooden doors on Hard difficulty (glitched), attack NPCs, and now all mobs drop loot (Iron, Gold, depending on the mob).

andi*pandi
Feb 10, 2012, 04:52 PM

purple line, or actually silver line, I'd say based on his house now.

you're right the NPC has lots of grain, but I thought the point was automating harvesting. I'd really like to have it where I'm going to use it, near the animals.

I didn't know grain only grew if you were there, but... still.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2012, 05:11 PM

If the chunk is loaded it will grow. So if you can see it...
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Feb 10, 2012 at 05:25 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2012, 07:30 PM

Here's the thing, harvesting wheat is the easiest part, it's the planting that takes effort. I kicked around ideas for using pistons to get wheat but in the end just smashing it while running full speed seems to work pretty well.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2012, 07:52 PM

Here's the thing, harvesting wheat is the easiest part, it's the planting that takes effort. I kicked around ideas for using pistons to get wheat but in the end just smashing it while running full speed seems to work pretty well.
Just don't walk on the farmland
But you of infinite bones should build a wheat machine, it has two dispensers and it gives you seeds and bone-meal and you just hold down the mouse button.
Automatic Bonemeal-to-Wheat Factory (and tree farm) - Minecraft Forum

Or i'll build one if you keep it full of bonemeal.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Feb 10, 2012 at 08:10 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2012, 08:56 PM

You can walk on farmland now, only jumping on it un-tils it

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 11, 2012, 07:52 PM

If it means Laminar's dirt wall disappears from view, I may support this.
What dirt wall? Near my actual base?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2012, 12:36 PM

Success! via my grinder.

andi*pandi
Feb 13, 2012, 08:11 AM

Woo! What's the trick?

I saw a big humungous endergrinder on youtube. It was full of repeaters and redstone and gah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iork1..._order&list=UL
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Feb 13, 2012 at 08:59 AM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2012, 05:36 PM

Some random loading issue screen grabs showcasing grid mining.

First off, we have another show of the bowels underneath Jawbone's Castle.

This shot shows quite a bit. Center is actually 2 mining operations that meet eachother, far back you can see the huge mineshaft #1, to the left you can see my grinder rail shaft descending.

This snap shows the mining grid you just saw in the center, with my newest grid attached to the right.

Final shot is a view under my newest outpost (which now has a road leading to the NPC village near Dakar's new rail) You can see the spiral staircase leading down to the grid.

Right now there are 4 grid mines that all attach to eachother. The one under the swamp house, the mine under the swamp dome, the mine under my new outpost, and the original mine made under mineshaft #1 in the lobby. This encompasses a huge amount of area scraped of diamond at y12.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2012, 08:24 PM

Woo! What's the trick?

I saw a big humungous endergrinder on youtube. It was full of repeaters and redstone and gah.

Minecraft: Enderman / Ender Pearl Automatic Farm - YouTube
I don't know if you noticed or not but their not spawning on sandstone. He built that in the End.
I added a crusher at the bottom to suffocate them.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Feb 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules