Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Using the old Powerbook

Using the old Powerbook
m_brand0
Dec 28, 2002, 02:09 AM

I'm buying a new computer this new year and I have my old Powerbook Pismo that will be kicking around collecting dust. I'm starting to work with FCP for digital video editing but my Powerbook won't run it. Any ideas how I could better use my older machine in the editing process? Any of you producers/editors have any ideas how I can better use my old machine?

Thanks for the suggestions.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 28, 2002, 06:18 AM

My Pismo runs Final Cut Pro just fine. It just can't do real-time effects.

tooki

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2002, 11:43 AM

The Pismo was *THE* Final Cut Pro laptop until the Ti400/500 came along.

CNN even had a feature on how they edited a whole piece in the field on Pismo laptops.

Of course, the first PowerBook to be sold for use with Final Cut Pro was the Lombard, G3/333 and G3/400.

If I were you, I'd give vmarks (me!) the pismo.

BUT SERIOUSLY-

If I were you, I would use the Pismo for logging footage. Use it to play back your tapes, make a log of them, then take the log and camera to your other machine, feed it the log and let it capture from the log unattended.

But that's just me.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules