Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > **how Is Your Rev A 17 Holding Up?**

**how Is Your Rev A 17 Holding Up?**
Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2003, 01:11 PM

Okay...

I just put a kick ass 7200 rpm drive in my 1ghz tibook. This this is so nice now.

BUT! It is a tibook and they are painted. I use this computer 4-5 hours a day on the average.
It is pulled in and out of it's trusty Tumi bag quite often.

While there are no paint problems, there are some blemishes or shiny spots on the cover from the rubbing of fabric in spots where the CD case may have jiggeld on a drive to Denver or something.

The screen is perfect, I learned a few years ago to put a couple of sheets of plain paper in there when closing the lid.

So...here are the questions.

I am poised and ready to get the new 17 and put this ripp'n drive in it.

How are yours holding up? Are any of the seams starting to drift?

Have any fan issues popped up?

How does the finish wear and clean up?

Does it scratch easy?

How is the dust intrusion level now that the plug holes are always uncovered?

What is your battery life like?

Is your space bar and return key starting to "Polish" or lose paint?

Any loose keys on keyboard?

I just want to get an idea how the rev a's are doing after a few months of heavy use.

My machine is fast enough now for me to wait for a rev C or a G5, but I use it a TON and it will continue to show more cosmetic wear over time and be harder to sell down the road.

Feed me
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

geekwagon
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 01:28 PM

I bought my 17" when they first came out. Since then I have used it a lot.. this is my primary machine at work and it sees a lot of travel moving between home/school/datacenter, etc. So far, the machine still looks/acts like it was brand new. Looking at it now, I realize I probably ought to clean it though

I don't use the keyboard so much (most of the time I have an external keyboard/mouse plugged in) but I am impressed by the ports. I probably plug in the DVI, Ethernet, and USB ports 50 times per day and they still feel just like on a new machine. I was a little worried about that at first. All my seams are still perfect, no scratches or anything. The "paint" on this thing is great, it cleans up easily and is pretty tough.

Whenever I carry it around other than inside the building though it is always inside a Brenthaven shoulder bag, so that is probably one factor. It probably wouldn't look as nice now if I was just throwing it in an un-padded backpack.

merlin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 01:39 PM

I posted earlier that my 17" rev A keyboard was 'loose' on the bottom right corner. The adhesive that mounts it wasn't working and it was only about a week old. I took it back to the Apple store I purchased it from and they ordered me a replacement keyboard and swapped it out. Now my 2-0 keys don't light up on this new keyboard. I have to take it back to Apple again. Keep in mind that Apple doesn't normally cover keyboards under their warranty.

As you may have read, the 17" has an irritating fan noise that sounds like an old car starting or a siren as it picks up speed. For me, the fan only comes on when playing Unreal or if I'm doing something CPU intensive. Occasionally the fan will come on in the afternoon at work for no apparent reason. I'm in AC so I suspect it's simply because I have so many damn windows and apps open (a symptom of owning a 17")

No sratches yet and it seems fairly easy to keep clean if you take care of it. I store mine in the sleeve that came with my Brenthaven bag when it's not in use. I'm waiting for my Radtech screen protector for added protection from keyboard contact with the LCD just in case. I do have a small ding on my palm rest that appeared out of nowhere. I suggest not wearing a watch or jewelry that might come in contact with it unless you're using an external keyboard. I'm using an MS bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo to type this post.

I only use the battery to allow my laptop to sleep between taking it from work and home, the rest of the time it's plugged in. When I first conditioned the battery, I think it lasted about 3 hours or so (I watched some DVD footage and surfed).

Hope this helps.
This space intentionally left blank...

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 01:42 PM

While I'm not transporting my 17" as much as Geekwagon seems to be, I do take it to and from the office to home daily. Using the Ethernet, USB (on both sides), Firewire and power ports a few times a day. I've not had a single problem with this machine. It's been a thrill to have.

And, it is easy to clean. I've been using the dissenfectant wipes (they come in a container that looks like baby wipes) put out by Clorox. They're just slightly damp (except the last few that are in the bottom of the container, which I wring out first) and do a terrific job on this AL case.

And, much like Geekwagon, I'm using a Brenthaven backpack to haul my baby around in.

I'm a photojournalist and my stuff tends to get banged around quite a bit over time. But in the five months since I've had this thing, there isn't a single scar on it.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

dwalls32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 02:15 PM

Mine has held up well for the last month (I bought it in the middle of August). I hope it holds up well for its new owner because I am getting a rev. b in a couple weeks.

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 03:42 PM

How are yours holding up? Are any of the seams starting to drift? Holding up very well. No problems at all with the case or seams.

Have any fan issues popped up? No. It rarely turns on. I do use a coolpad, but even when I don't, its rare to hear my fan.

How does the finish wear and clean up? Very easily. It does get a lot of smudges on it, especially on the palm rest. They clean with a damp cloth.

Does it scratch easy? Not that I've noticed. Your question actually made me look.

How is the dust intrusion level now that the plug holes are always uncovered? Haven't noticed any problems here either.

What is your battery life like? With AirPort - 2-2.5 hours. Without 3-3.5 hours. I can also watch a 2-hour DVD without problems on a battery.

Is your space bar and return key starting to "Polish" or lose paint? Nope

Any loose keys on keyboard? Nope

Hope this helps. I love this machine. The only problem I've had is with the little round pads on the bottom of the machine. I've lost one. They come of real easy. Minor irritation at best.
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 04:13 PM

Just to give you an idea, I got mine in mid-April and have been carrying it back and forth to work every day. This includes plugging in an ethernet cord and the AC adapter.

How are yours holding up? Are any of the seams starting to drift?
Nope, this isn't happening at all

Have any fan issues popped up?
Actually yes. I just got mine back from Apple because the fan was making a buzzing sound when it got to full speed. The computer was still usable considering it usually took two hours of running [email protected] to get this to happen. It's pretty normal for fans to fail like this occasionally. Usually it's because a bearing came loose and is rattling around. Apple replaced the entire heat sink assembly.

How does the finish wear and clean up?
virtually no wear, and clean up is a snap with iKlear.

Does it scratch easy?
Never

How is the dust intrusion level now that the plug holes are always uncovered?
I was afraid of this too. It hasn't been a problem at all.

What is your battery life like?
Not sure. Apple replaced the battery when I sent it for repair. I'm still charing it for the first time as I write this.

Is your space bar and return key starting to "Polish" or lose paint?
The space bar is just beginning to show some signs of polish. It's taking much longer than my Ti 400MHz did.

Any loose keys on keyboard?
nope

I hope this helps. Like I said, the fan problem was very minor and Apple managed to repair and ship the computer back to me on the same day they recieved it. I was without my computer for two and a half days.

geekwagon
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by HvyMtlMdns:

The only problem I've had is with the little round pads on the bottom of the machine. I've lost one. They come of real easy. Minor irritation at best.
This reminds me, the feet on the new Powerbooks are REALLY sticky. So, I always make it a point to NEVER try to slide the laptop on a smooth surface (like glass or a tabletop) because it would be very easy for the feet to come off. I always pick it up and re-place it.

Basically, in the older designs Apple had problems with the feet coming off because the adhesive would eventually break down. So, to "fix" the problem in the Al books they used a foot that pulls through a whole in the base (I hope you understand what I mean..) rather than glue. Unfortunately, the rubber they use has so much friction it is very possible for the force on that little tab that sticks through the aluminum to rip/cut.

I haven't lost a foot yet (knocks on wood) but I could see where it would be pretty easy to happen. It sounds like Apple is sending out adhesive feet these days rather than replacing the whole bottom of the machine like they used too when they first came out.

Arch.
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 04:39 PM

I had to change the feet on my 17". Apple covered it under waranty and sent out feet that had more of a plastic feel rather than a rubber one. I went ahead and put on the new style with the glue that they sent. They feel good and I can now place and slide my computer on really smooth surfaces.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2003, 06:35 PM

I've had mine since the end of March, and it's my only computer. I've had a pismo and a TiPb before. After 6 months, the TiPB looked like it had been in a war, despite always being transported in a case. The screen was showing its age, as was the paint and at least 2 glue joints (Apple refused to fix the screen, but did reglue everything).

In contrast, the PB17 is really aging well in terms of screen, case, keyboard, and ports. I have one scratch from a traumatic experience that should never happen again, but probably would have broken a Pismo case.

My internal modem went kaput at about a month's of age, and my sleep LED light is no longer working. Not sure if it's SW or HW, but no big deal either way. I think it took me a week to realize it wasn't working.

Once I used a small plastic shipping sheet, I no longer see the edge of the screen etching into my keyboard / palm area.

I think this is the sturdiest Apple PB since the Pismo.

Forum Links
Forum Rules