Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Any new info on upcoming Cinema Displays?

Any new info on upcoming Cinema Displays?
Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2004, 09:58 PM

I really, really, really, REALLY want the rumored 30" Cinema Display. Did I mention I want one? Any new information or at least speculation on these? I'm hoping for a narrow bezel (the wide ones on current ACDs are soooo 2001) and a VESA mount. Looks like a new graphics card will be necessary, too, if the 2500x1400 resolution is anything near the real spec. Even the Radeon 9800 Pro is limited to 1920x1200 on the digital interface.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2004, 10:03 PM

I thought OS X would only allow 2000 pixels or so of width? They would need to change that to allow a 30" to work... Maybe that destroys the rumor? Hopefully not because the 23" would drop in price and I could get one some day!

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2004, 11:17 PM

Of course once a 30 incher comes out, you'll want that one just as much.
12" AlBook • 15" Albook • G4 Cube • iSight • Original iPod • PB 100 • Newton 110 • Quicktake 100

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 24, 2004, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
I thought OS X would only allow 2000 pixels or so of width? They would need to change that to allow a 30" to work... Maybe that destroys the rumor? Hopefully not because the 23" would drop in price and I could get one some day!
OS X doesn't seem to mind monitor spanning with huge displays, resulting in desktops thousands and thousands of pixels wide. I doubt that it has any such limitation that one would run into in practice.

tooki

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 10:12 PM

I'm waiting on a 30" as well

surprised they have not came out yet.. are there technical problems that don't allow for that?

I'm just not a fan of two moniters, so will make due with my 20" formac LCD in the meantime.

osxisfun
Feb 24, 2004, 10:18 PM

i have a feeling its all about the best time to release "marketing" and supply wise. and if they drag out a release a few more months they can get the same parts cheaper and increase their profit for those few months.

the current ones are selling. having said that i would not be surprised to see new displays when the new revb machines ship.

Titanium Man  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
I'm waiting on a 30" as well

surprised they have not came out yet.. are there technical problems that don't allow for that?

I'm just not a fan of two moniters, so will make due with my 20" formac LCD in the meantime.
According to MOSR, LCD prices are currently stable, which is not what Apple likes. They want prices to fall so they can drop the prices of the existing ACDs. (Can you blame them? Good 20" LCDs can be bought for $800 and they're stuck selling a 23" for 2 1/2 times as much. 3" more is not worth that.) Assuming you believe MOSR. I'd really like to believe them on this, because they say the price will be only $2500 for the 30". Then again, I'd be willing to go as high as $3k for a 30 incher.

I hate dual-monitor setups, too. Especially with different models side by side and a distinct difference in brightness and color.

osxisfun
Feb 25, 2004, 01:09 AM

>I hate dual-monitor setups, too. Especially with different models side by side and a >distinct difference in brightness and color

Have you tried a dual apple 20" lcd setup?

Best dual setup ever.none of the problems you describe.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Titanium Man:
<snip> Then again, I'd be willing to go as high as $3k for a 30 incher. <snip>
Me too.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Titanium Man  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
Have you tried a dual apple 20" lcd setup?

Best dual setup ever.none of the problems you describe.
It doesn't really matter. Even with two perfectly matched screens, there are still problems. I always get a bit of disorientation looking from one screen to another, which would be worse with the wide bezels of the Apple displays. And you have to put windows and dialog boxes entirely in one of the screens. Splitting a window over both screens is one of the worst things I can think of. Not to mention when desktop icons decide to sit right on the boundary. Much better to have one, big screen where I can put anything anywhere.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 07:03 PM

I want my 30inch display too!!!!

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Man Packs Eagle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2004, 08:34 PM

Actually I'm waiting for the 40" display.

I'm lost. What are you guys doing on your computers that you need a 30" display?

An honest question.

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2004, 08:44 PM

I was told recently by an (very recently made) ex Apple employee that the new ones he saw in devolopment had aluminum enclosures and were most likely to be released around WWDC. He wouldn't confirm how big the largest was, but he did say that it was going to be pretty damn large.

mattyd
Senior User
Feb 25, 2004, 08:46 PM

i'm hoping that apple adds component and/or DVI connectors and markets the 30" as an HDTV monitor.

maybe that'll happen when they release the mystery set-top box, as apple's foray in to the living room.

Titanium Man  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 10:47 PM

WWDC?!? That's four months away! Arrgh.

As for what I would do with a 30" ACD: Large format, high res print work in Photoshop. Safari and Camino side by side. Four word processing windows visible at once. Dreamweaver and BBEdit at the same time. My own personal cinema with 5.1 surround sound.

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2004, 11:05 PM

Oooooohh 30 inches of.. screen space!

I dunno about you but 22" is right on the barrier for me. I'd take a 25" with higher DPI but anything bigger starts to take up *ALL* of your view if you know what I mean.

Suddenly you don't enjoy the things around you. At work sure but at home that's a f'cking lousy way to work.
Aloha

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2004, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by Man Packs Eagle:

I'm lost. What are you guys doing on your computers that you need a 30" display?

An honest question.
Surfing the internet, email, iMovie, EV Nova. Nothing that requires the 23" bastard I have now. No reason to get a 30" other than I wants it, my precious.

Figure I'd use it to replace a tv or something in my house... I dunno. I just wants it.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Norty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2004, 01:53 PM

I can't find anything anywhere about any new display rumorrs. The main point is why go spend two grand on a display when new ones with faster refresh rates, new bezel designs, up to date technology, etc. may be around the corner? I've been waiting since November. I'm a two monitor Photohsop man. One is for palettes only, the other for art. I've been sitting waiting with a check in one hand waiting for that Apple email with a new product announcement, but it just hasn't come yet. What gives? And, if my Radeon 9800 graphics card won't support the rumored 30 incher, then a newly designed 23 will be just fine...

IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2004, 03:08 PM

I'd go 3k for a 30"

Use a 23" LCD..its nice..but just really too small for working on multiple webpages and graphics at the same time.

I'd get a wide wide wide format 40" display too if they ever made that.

rezzi
Feb 27, 2004, 09:24 PM

Anyone else hear of Apple making an DLP front projector? Someone at another site had a friend supposedly leak this. (Yeah, I know) And said friend has an NDA, and of course, could not divulge much more. As another said; Apple has a deal with HP for the iPod. Maybe HP will rebadge one of their projectors for Apple. I'm probably late on this.

Titanium Man  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 11:21 PM

Not for me, thanks. I've owned projectors. They're not as sharp as direct-view screens, especially tack-sharp LCDs. Any little stray light in the room and you lose black retention, so a 1000:1 contrast ratio means nothing. Although if somebody had a DLP projector with 4200x2800 resolution, I might be tempted.

LadyBlue
Feb 27, 2004, 11:59 PM

I'm just waiting for the prices to drop. everyone can have the 30", I want a cheaper 20". :oor college student::
I <3 Macs!

dvdnet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by Man Packs Eagle:

An honest question.
To some, bigger is better: Bigger monitor, bigger sig.

To me, the bigger the monitor the more your desktop can look like expos� is on all the time.

Personally, I'd like to see these bigger monitors take in a second display Picute in Picture style so you can watch TV on your desktop 'without the need for purchasing a TV decoder' of sorts. Just connect up any video device to the monitor and away you go.

Actually, I'd like to see laptops that take a vga input signal to display an image from an external source. A great way of not having to buy another monitor for a standalone box (server) that doesn't need one, if you get my drift.

Steve

otter2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 03:23 PM

I thought maybe you folks might have some insights with a monitor problem I'm having. The customer service reps are being pretty crappy with me.
I ordered a "open box" monitor (18 in. Viewsonic-$412) and it arrived on the truck today. The package looked like it had survived a game of catch. There's a scratch/burn on the base, and no cables of any sort, documents, discs are included. It was ordered through ClubMac. I talked to thte customer service guy and he's talking with his manager.
What kind of course of action should I accept?
Any ideas about my options? There are no more open box monitors in stock. I don't think I should accept a damaged monitor even if they send the cables and literature.
Any advice would be apprecieated if someone has been in this spot.

osxisfun
May 3, 2004, 04:53 PM

If you have a digital camera...take pictures of it as it was received.

Also...don't let the manager string you along. If he does not call you back by 10am tomorrow call again...

Send the manager the pictures...

I bet having your act together like that will put in a seed in the manager's mind that its going to be easier to deal with you by just giving in to what you want.

Go for the return.

hope this helps..

otter2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2004, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the advice. I talked with a helpful sales manager who agreed to pick up the old monitor via Fed Ex tomorrow. I purchased a 19 in Planar Systems display at cost.
I suppose everything worked out.

osxisfun
May 4, 2004, 01:28 PM

cool deal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules