Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Ethernet port is there, but it's not

Ethernet port is there, but it's not
denim
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 10:08 PM

I added a Sonnet Aria Extreme over the weekend to my Wallstreet. It worked fine. Later, using the system with a wired ethernet worked fine too. Now I've brought the system home, and have connected it to my home network. The hub sees the system electrically at least, but the system software won't communicate using it. ipconfig reports the correct stuff as far as I can tell, but ping reports "send to: Host is down" and returns -1.

I've tried a hard reset. I ran the system to power exhaustion on the airplane, and that's the only thing I can think of that's happened.

Any ideas? Running 10.2.8.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

holstien
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2004, 01:08 AM

You might want to try checking the order that the network interfaces get used.

In the Networking control panel, there is a pane under the menu "Show" called "Network port configurations" The first network interface on that list is the one that will be the system's primary gateway. If you don't have a wireless AP at home, this might be the problem. You can create different profiles for home and work and switch between the two pretty easily. You might also be able to use routed to automagically send the packets to the right place.

For instance:
My G4 is on a wired network, but has several NIC cards. the one that is plugged in to the DSL is the default gateway (at the top of the list).
->Crafted with care by the red-bearded pirate<-

denim  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by holstien:
You might want to try checking the order that the network interfaces get used.

In the Networking control panel, there is a pane under the menu "Show" called "Network port configurations" The first network interface on that list is the one that will be the system's primary gateway. If you don't have a wireless AP at home, this might be the problem. You can create different profiles for home and work and switch between the two pretty easily. You might also be able to use routed to automagically send the packets to the right place.
I tried deselecting everything other than the ethernet port. No joy. Airport is listed after Built-in Ethernet, anyway. And it's dimmed when there's no wireless card.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Forum Links
Forum Rules