Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > VPC performance and RAM

VPC performance and RAM
mmintler
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2005, 01:56 PM

I know there are many posts on vpc but I couldn't find exactly what I needed...so I apologize in advance.

I just upgraded from vpc 6 to 7.1 and it seems slower. The genius at the apple store told me vpc 7 was "much faster"...lol

I have a pb 1.33 alum. with 768 Ram. My questions are...

1. Why is it slower?

2. I'm not sure how much RAM to allocate to WindowsXP in the VPC preferences...is it better to allocate more to vpc.eg. 512 or alot less e.g. 256 and leave more RAM for OSX?

I have turned off a lot of the effects in xp and it does help but not enough. Even opening from a saved disk image takes longer than vpc 6 on my machine...weird.

thanks for any help.

mark
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

zzarg
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2005, 09:04 AM

first up - Win2K is faster than WinXP in VPC. Don't ask me why, it just is (and Win98 - well, that just screams along !)

Check the CPU allocations you've got set in VPC Preferences for background use, and also uninstall and re-install the 'additions' (that one is important)

My experiences (for what it's worth) - VPC 7.01 (and make sure you have the .01 patch) has been a little faster than VPC was, however VPC7 does seem to have a larger memory footprint than VPC6 did, so... your issue may be that you're starting to get contention with other parts of your system

It's worth running Activity Monitor and keep an eye on OSX memory allocation and physical disk usage to see where the root of the problem is.

I would say running in on a machine with a total of 768MB RAM is a bit brave - I used to run in 640MB and it was a dog. Replaced the 512MB stick with a 1GB stick and really noticed a difference.

Most recently ... updated to OSX10.3.8 and did a bit of a tidy up on WinXP (made sure I was up-to-date on patches) and did a total re-start of the system.... noticeable speed improvements in a number of WinXP functions

mmintler  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2005, 02:39 AM

Thank you very much for your reply!
I'll definately try your suggestions...I've been getting a lot of winxp system errors I think there is something buggy with my install so that may be causing some of my problems. I upgraded the vpc image from version 6 to 7 and it seems very unstable. I think my first order of business is a clean install of WinXP.

Again, I appreciate the feedback
Mark
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

Daemon2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2005, 02:53 AM

The reason VPC is so slow is that a G4 or a G5 is radically different from a x86 PC. Reason is that an x86's programming is bloated with so many instructions it slows it down. Intel fixes this by giving it huge clock speeds, which the PPC platform doesn't have. When VPC slows down, do you hear it accessing your hard drive? If so, then more RAM will definately solve your problem. Otherwise, your only solution would be to upgrade your processor (also known as buying another computer).

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2005, 03:30 PM

Supposedly, WINXP is the fastest alternative for VPC 7.01. Furthermore, it is recommended (supposedly) by microsoft to only offer VPC 256 MB ram. The reason being that the virtual memory system of XP Will start heavy preloading and paging if given more RAM which in turn leads to slower performance. Also, if you devote too much ram to VPC, OSXwill also start pageing out, which is a lose-lose situation. I know it sounds backwards, but in my opinion VPC with XP is faster with 256 than 640MB RAM. (My PB has 1.25GB RAM).
Also, turn of graphical UI stuf like fading menus etc. Also a program called Tune-up 2004 or something for XP may give a good incrase in speed. I certainly noticed a huge incrase. VPC is now almost usable for daily tasks. Used it for two weeks at work when my PC laptop went out/died with a "poff" sound.

Give it a try at least...

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2005, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by Sophus:
Supposedly, WINXP is the fastest alternative for VPC 7.01. Furthermore, it is recommended (supposedly) by microsoft to only offer VPC 256 MB ram.
I compared WinXP and Win2k on my G5 and to be honest, winxp was a bit slower but once I turned off the eye candy its nearly identical.

I never heard of give VPC less ram. Can you provide where you heard this because to be honest its really surprising. I'll give it a shot to see os less ram actually makes it faster

Daemon2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2005, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
I compared WinXP and Win2k on my G5 and to be honest, winxp was a bit slower but once I turned off the eye candy its nearly identical.

I never heard of give VPC less ram. Can you provide where you heard this because to be honest its really surprising. I'll give it a shot to see os less ram actually makes it faster
This is microsoft. Since when has common sense ever been a factor?

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2005, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:

I'd really like to see some more info on the less RAM theory. I had always been told to give VPC 512 and no more because that is the most that it can use. I heard that somewhere... I could be totally wrong though.
Backup your Backup

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2005, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by Dæmon:
The reason VPC is so slow is that a G4 or a G5 is radically different from a x86 PC. Reason is that an x86's programming is bloated with so many instructions it slows it down. Intel fixes this by giving it huge clock speeds, which the PPC platform doesn't have. When VPC slows down, do you hear it accessing your hard drive? If so, then more RAM will definately solve your problem. Otherwise, your only solution would be to upgrade your processor (also known as buying another computer).
That is not totally true. One modern processor emulating another modern processor's ISA will always be slow, whether it is PPC to x86 or x86 to PPC.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules