Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why AT&T Wireless TOTALLY SUCKS

Why AT&T Wireless TOTALLY SUCKS (Page 2)
lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2005, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by ChrisF:
nevermind.
I also gave up. Some battles aren't worth fighting.

Cody Dawg, I know you're frustrated, but why don't you take Tamika's advice? You can buy an AT&T phone on eBay, finish out your contract, and then switch providers. Otherwise, you can pay the early-termination fee or keep paying them. No, that isn't quite fair, but I don't think much else will be successful.

On second thought, perhaps someone here has an extra AT&T phone he will give/loan/sell you.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2005, 02:45 PM

I'm not an apathetic person.

I'm a person who disseminates information.

Yes, my problems are "over" for a couple hundred bucks.

But, why should I have to buy my way out of a contract because I lived up to my end of the contract, paying my bill every single month, and the powerful and large corporate company does not?

They should:

1. Cancel all AT&T customers' contracts if the AT&T customer needs a new phone and does not want to move over to Cingular to get that new phone - which involves signing a new contract with Cingular. If the customer cannot use his or her service because they no longer have a telephone and AT&T or Cingular cannot provide it then the contract should be null and void.

2. AT&T and Cingular should have made a concerted effort to make sure that there were/are phones for AT&T customers who are continuing AT&T contracts.

Why should I, or any other consumer, have to pay the price - literally - because AT&T and/or Cingular do not have equipment for AT&T customers?

Can you tell me how that is fair?

Sure, you don't care.

But this is just another example of big corporations screwing the little guy and not giving a crap. IT'S WRONG.

That's why I'm griping and making a big deal out of it. Consider me the Erin Brockovich of MacNN.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 02:59 PM

Look into T-Mobile.

They have been great to me; they will unlock your phone with no questions asked if you will be traveling, etc.

http://www.howardforums.com/ is a good place to go for dirt on celluar providers.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2005, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
I'm not an apathetic person.

[snip]

Can you tell me how that is fair?

Sure, you don't care.

But this is just another example of big corporations screwing the little guy and not giving a crap. IT'S WRONG.

That's why I'm griping and making a big deal out of it. Consider me the Erin Brockovich of MacNN.
Huh? Is this a response to my post? I'm at a loss trying to figure out this response. I wouldn't bother posting if I didn't care. You're the one who asked for suggestions, remember? Anyway, I already said that it wasn't fair. I guess I just assumed you'd like to use a working cell phone while mounting your assault on AT&T/Cingular. My mistake. Good luck.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2005, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
You're incorrect. Quotation marks can be used for a variety of reasons. One of those reasons is using a word sarcastically.
An unfortunate perversion of the English language. I'm all for changes in language, but sometimes they're counterintuitive.

The sarcasm came about because one person would describe something one way, and then the other person would sarcastically quote him.

For example:
A: John's a genius!
B: That "genius" didn't even graduate from high school.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Daemon2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2005, 03:13 PM

Your analogy is not quite right.

The analogy would be if I buy Adelphia cable service, SIGN A CONTRACT, Adelphia agrees to give me a digital converter box, then they sell to Comcast, Comcast takes over, I call Comcast and say, "Hey, I'm paying you every month but my digital converter box no longer works so I need a new one or I need to buy one because I'm paying all of this money each month and I can't see any of the channels."

Comcast then comes back and says, "Well, if you want to get the channels then you must sign a new contract for two years (yeah, they tried to extort me for a new 2-year contract last night) and then, and ONLY then, will we provide a digital converter box. If you don't agree to the new contract then you don't get a digital converter box and you'll also have to keep on paying monthly until your first contract is up."

THAT is the correct analogy.

How would YOU like that?

And as far as why I don't want Cingular?

1. I think they're crooks after this fiasco

2. Metro PCS will give me unlimited long distance and local service for $49.95 a month, PERIOD.

3. No offense, by the way, with all of this.

I'm just telling you what the common consumer is experiencing: Screwed over if they won't agree to sign up with Cingular if they need new equipment.
No, actually, it would be more like they give you a new $200 TV for free in exchange for signing up with them for two years. The TV is your property and if you break it, you're responsible for it.

Besides that, they are offering you a new phone. You're just not willing to accept what is entailed in getting that new phone.

BTW, no offense taken whatsoever. Remember, I work for AWS customer care. I have to hear customers 20x angrier over this than you seem to be. Can't say I blame them, but they should realize that they're getting mad at the wrong person when they blow up at a customer service rep.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2005, 03:14 PM

Good points, Stradlater.

nyway, I already said that it wasn't fair.
Sorry if I mistook your post to be a critique of my responses.

I'm trying to do about 5 different things while maintaining my addiction to MacNN.

I have a household full of sick people (except myself - go figure - which I attribute to drinking about 8 glasses of Arizona Rx Stress Tea every day) and I'm trying to get work done, cook dinner (green chile stew and homemade biscuits), and get work done.

Plus I'm taking care of my baby.

Daemon2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2005, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
What country do you live in?

Here in the United States, cell phones are tied to the company you got them from. Even in the case of GSM phones... they are locked to a specific company's SIM cards. If you buy a T-Mobile branded phone and ask them to unlock it so you can use Cingular service (via a SIM card) on it they will laugh in your face. Hence the grey market where people hack or crack phones so they are unlocked and usable on any network. (Yes, she still has to buy the phone, but how can she buy one if the phones aren't available for purchase???)

In Europe, you (generally) buy a phone that can be used with any provider for whom you have a SIM card.

So yes, if she wants to finish out her AT&T plan without paying the ludicrous early termination fee, she has to get an AT&T phone.

It's not illegal, but don't you think it's a little messed up to allow her to sign up for a new two year contract with Cingular but still have to pay for AT&T service--a service she can't use because she can't get an AT&T phone without jumping through hoops to do so. You're telling me that you see no problem with her having to pay twice for phone service... the new contract and the old contract.

Yes, she apparently did have to threaten to cancel. She probably doesn't want to sign another two year contract with a company that just pissed her off. I don't blame her. Sprint has pissed me off because I moved into an area where I can't get phone service. The CS reps have absolutely NO idea what I'm talking about when I try to explain it to them... they keep offering to give me a new phone number in the new area code saying that will fix the problem, when the real problem is no cell phone tower in range. I still have 4 months in my contract. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $150 to terminate my contract early to go to a new phone company. And I still have to throw away a perfectly good phone to do so anyway. The way the whole cell phone industry works in the US is unfair.
The ETF gets waived if you migrate to cingular.

And no she doesn't have to threaten to cancel. She can buy a new phone and migrate to cingular. Yet I still don't understand why she doesn't want to do so.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2005, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
An unfortunate perversion of the English language. I'm all for changes in language, but sometimes they're counterintuitive.

The sarcasm came about because one person would describe something one way, and then the other person would sarcastically quote him.

For example:
A: John's a genius!
B: That "genius" didn't even graduate from high school.
You're right, but I think it's just short of being counterintuitive. Generally, the spirit of that original usage remains, but the first line is omitted. Although that technically means you're no longer making a direct quote, it's usually something so common it's obviously been said at some point.

Sorry if I mistook your post to be a critique of my responses.
No problem. I love a good argument, but I never mean any disrespect. I sincerely hope everything works out.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2005, 03:21 PM

I love your sig, BTW.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2005, 03:47 PM

Thanks. I whipped it up last night.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2005, 04:59 PM

Yer a hottie if that's you in the Sig!

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Scifience:
Look into T-Mobile.

They have been great to me; they will unlock your phone with no questions asked if you will be traveling, etc.

http://www.howardforums.com/ is a good place to go for dirt on celluar providers.
T-Mobile's CS is great and they are very friendly and cheap, but man, the coverage is really bad in some parts and their 3G plans are pathetic. It's the reason I might be moving to Cingular when my T-Mo contract expires this summer...

Scifience
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
T-Mobile's CS is great and they are very friendly and cheap, but man, the coverage is really bad in some parts and their 3G plans are pathetic. It's the reason I might be moving to Cingular when my T-Mo contract expires this summer...
The coverage here around Cleveland has been fine, and I've had no problems when visiting relatives outside of Pittsburgh.

I'm not sure what you mean by having "pathetic" 3G plans?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2005, 06:48 PM

Yer a hottie if that's you in the Sig!

Look a little closer. It's Marvin Gaye. Objectively speaking, I'm probably not that attractive. He was a rather nice-looking (but stubbord kind of) fellow.

I also have T-Mobile. The coverage here in Virginia isn't wonderful, but I've had no real problems.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by Scifience:
The coverage here around Cleveland has been fine, and I've had no problems when visiting relatives outside of Pittsburgh.

I'm not sure what you mean by having "pathetic" 3G plans?
Those are both relatively urban areas. Even in NYC you can find plenty of dead spots, esp. inside buildings, where Verizon and Cingular do fine.

They have been slow to roll out EDGE and they aren't planning 3G/HSDPA services in any markets until 2007-2008 which is well behind the other carriers, who have started to roll it out in some cities already. Verizon's EV-DO network is alive in several markets and Cingular is deploying a fairly large HSDPA network later this year and has EDGE already.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 07:22 PM

Cody Dawg:

I hope it is not too late, but I just ended my service with AT&T. I have a Siemens M56 for sale. If you are interested, PM me so I can send you pics and price.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 08:10 PM

Just PMd you.

AT&T backed down and sent me a Motorola Razor or something like that. It's okay. Not great. I'm not impressed.

And I filed an FCC complaint and they called me back today about it.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 10:13 PM

Plus I'm taking care of my baby.

baby. cute.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 10:14 PM

Just PMd you.

AT&T backed down and sent me a Motorola Razor or something like that. It's okay. Not great. I'm not impressed.

And I filed an FCC complaint and they called me back today about it.
razor. kewl.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 04:10 PM

That's better than before.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2005, 06:54 PM

AT&T Wireless over billed my girlfriend by about $250 becuase they didn't switch her to a national plan before she went out of town, like we asked them to.

We called 611 and the service rep said there was no record of us calling to make the switch, ANYWHERE. OMGWTFBBQ

He got his manager on the line and after talking to him for 30 seconds he reversed the fees the final bill was the regular price.

That's why I an sticking with AT&T/Cingular.

Sorry Ive not read the rest of the thread but thats my two cents.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by phantomdragonz:
well for me it adds detail to his story... to me it would be the same thing as saying "the tall skinny as a stick brunett, named jennie"

I dont think it's all that odd.

but yeah, she is dead WRONG, call AT&T directly and have them deal with it, also mention how tamika helped you, if i were to work with her I would really want some more complaints if i had a co-worker treat customers that way.

BTW I have AT&T, and I like the service.

Zach
If it was a tall skinny brunette, I can almost guarentee that the original poster wouldn't have mentioned her. Think about it.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2005, 12:40 AM

Cody Dawg, you must suck at life or something, because for some reason you're constantly complaining on this forum. Maybe you should just end it all...

Forum Links
Forum Rules