Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New computer, how do we transfer the iPod?

New computer, how do we transfer the iPod?
m_brand0
Mar 13, 2005, 08:38 PM

Recently my girlfriend bought a new laptop and she's prepping her old desktop for eBay. Right now, we're trying to load her iPod Mini onto iTunes on her new computer. Unfortunately, the new computer wants to erase her iPod Mini. How do we transfer the contents of her iPod to her new computer? As for the desktop, she wants to delete everything so she won't be selling a computer with free music. We want one iPod for one machine. I thought this was a no-brainer but we can't figure it out.

How the heck to we do this?

Thanks for the help!

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2005, 09:37 PM

You have 2 options:
Go to versiontracker and find software that will allow you to pull your music in reverse direction back to your new machine.

Network the new PB and old desktop (either with ethernet or with a firewire cable) and simply copy the music folder from the old desktop over the new machine.

Does your old desktop have Firewire ? If so this is probably the easiest way to go. Just connect it to the two machines with a FW cable and then reboot the desktop into Target Disk Mode (by holding down the "T" key as it reboots). It will then act just like an external hard drive to the PB ... and you just copy the music over from there.

markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2005, 11:48 PM

download iPod Agent

m_brand0  (op)
Mar 15, 2005, 01:54 AM

unfortunately, she's on a PC. I zipped her iTunes music folder and copied it onto her iPod as a hard drive and put that on the new machine. For some reason, not all of the music copied. I'll search for something PC-friendly. Really, this should be easier. We're not wanting to do anything illegal, just get her purchased music from one computer to the other..

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2005, 06:53 AM

Just network the Mac and PC (turn on Windows file sharing on your Mac), and transfer the songs across. Plug in iPod and let it do its thing.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2005, 07:40 AM

Lots of the reverse apps don't do a very good job with the latest version of iTunes.
The easiest way is if you could connect the peecee and Mac and simply transfer the music over.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

robbiedigital
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2005, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
Lots of the reverse apps don't do a very good job with the latest version of iTunes.
The easiest way is if you could connect the peecee and Mac and simply transfer the music over.
I agree. Pick up a cross-over cable and transfer the music between the PC and Mac. Worked like a charm for me when I was switching over.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2005, 10:08 PM

Re-reading your post, I can't tell if its Mac->PC or PC->PC. No matter which it is, you should just network the 2 machines, share the appropriate Music folder and copy across.

Also ... this is a iPod mini, right ? Do you have a DVD burner on the desktop machine ? Should only require 1 DVD to copy all or most all of the music (or maybe 1 CD-RW used 6 -8 times or a flash drive used X number of times if you have one of those).

Networking is the easiest ... burning to disc or flash drive is an option if you know zilch about networking. If its only a mini, there really can't be all that much data, right ?? (either 3.7 or 5.5 gb of data depending on if its a 4 or 6 gb mini).

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2005, 10:39 AM

install the **** software or restore it and then install the **** software
thats what happend with my room mate
Signature depreciated.

artaxerxes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2005, 11:28 AM

Which music was missing?

Locate these files in the original iTunes installation's playlist - and "right click - get info" and locate them - they may not of been in the expected place when you zipped.
MacBook C2D 1.83GHz 1Gig 120GB Shuffle 512MB

Forum Links
Forum Rules