Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > FP iMac Screen resolution - 800x600 ?

FP iMac Screen resolution - 800x600 ?
bink
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2002, 10:36 PM

I started the thread, "So tell me, why not an emac." My main reason for considering the emac was being able to use the 800x600 screen resolution without problems.Cleaning of the screen and dead pixels are a distant second concern compared to the resolution.

What are your thoughts on this screen resolution on the new iMac with the LCD screen?

thoughts appreciated.....Rich

bink  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2002, 10:42 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by bink:
<strong>I started the thread, "So tell me, why not an emac." My main reason for considering the emac was being able to use the 800x600 screen resolution without problems.Cleaning of the screen and dead pixels are a distant second concern compared to the resolution.

What are your thoughts on this screen resolution on the new iMac with the LCD screen?

thoughts appreciated.....Rich</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Darn, I did not make this very clear. I am asking about the 800x600 resolution on the iMac screen. Can it be used as the main resolution or is it too messy?

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2002, 11:17 PM

It definately isn't as sharp as 1024x768, and HONESTLY, it looks so huge I wouldn't really care to go much lower.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jun 16, 2002, 11:49 PM

Any reason why you whould want to run at 800x600?

RBattin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2002, 01:00 AM

How about educational software that runs in Classic like Reader Rabbit, Accelerated Reader or Oregon Trail? They want to run at 640x480. Is that possible with acceptable quality?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2002, 06:05 AM

It ain't definitely not as sharp as 1024x768, I wouldn't recommend it. It certainly is acceptable, but it'll look way better on a CRT
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Vanquish
Jun 17, 2002, 06:23 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"> How about educational software that runs in Classic like Reader Rabbit, Accelerated Reader or Oregon Trail? They want to run at 640x480. Is that possible with acceptable quality?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">--&gt; buy an eMac, the CRT is way better for this reason.

About LCDs: it's not really recommended the run these at a lower than the optimal resolution, very low quality IMO. But why would you want to run at 800x600 ?, 1024x768 is already too big for me (especially with OSX)

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2002, 05:44 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Chris Grande:
<strong>Any reason why you whould want to run at 800x600?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Games. I know that the geforce 2MX isn't a good gaming video card, but it can make some serious work of newer games still. At 800 x 600, I mean.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2002, 05:46 PM

It seems fine to me to run games at lower resolutions, I do this with quake 3 becauase I'm too lazy to up the settings.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2002, 05:51 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by CubeWannaB:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Chris Grande:
<strong>Any reason why you whould want to run at 800x600?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Games. I know that the geforce 2MX isn't a good gaming video card, but it can make some serious work of newer games still. At 800 x 600, I mean.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I actually find the GeForce 2 MX to be quite adequate at gaming.
It sure beats what we had in the "old days" for sure.
- MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.3Ghz / 256SSD (Work laptop)
- iMac 3.2Ghz 1TB

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jun 17, 2002, 10:08 PM

Well, the slight blur you get won't be that bad for games, (poor mans AA?). I whouldn't try using for anything that makes you read small type.

Forum Links
Forum Rules