Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Having DVDs made/pressed

Having DVDs made/pressed
jersey
Senior User
Oct 30, 2005, 04:40 PM

So...I have several video works that I have finished up, and need them some type of professional out put for them, i.e. pressing, digipak, etc. , but I only need a small run (25 or so).

Has anyone around here done this, and are able to recommend some place? I would really like a glass master and a pressing, as I can burn DVDs here at home.

Thanks,

-j

macanon
Oct 30, 2005, 07:59 PM

I have had good luck with a home run of http://www.jewelboxing.com/
There are high quality dvd printers, depending on your price point.

jersey  (op)
Senior User
Oct 30, 2005, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by macanon
I have had good luck with a home run of http://www.jewelboxing.com/
There are high quality dvd printers, depending on your price point.

Sh!t.... those are nice. Thanks for pointing those out to me.

I had thought about tri-fold digipak, but I think I may go with those jewel cases instead.

As far as dvds go, it doesn't look like I'll get a glass master for an under 500 run, and at 4 different pieces, thats about $4k. I'll hold off a bit (or get the (a) gallery to foot the bill) .

I had considered using my lightscribe burner, but I don't think the resulting images look very professional. So, I ordered hub printable Taiyo Yuden, and will print the "label" on them using a printer (thats the next purchase, recommendations?) .

Thanks,

-j

loki74
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 08:32 PM

I'm not sure if this is relevant or matters to you, but the problem with printing on your own is that you cant use the DVD logo on the back cover. I know its a very small point, but damn its a nice finishing touch as far as professionalism. I really wish the DVDLLC wasnt so greedy about that stuff.

But yes Jewelboxing is very good. I actually was looking into using them a while back, and emailed them about how id need extra labels cause i planned on having 2 DVDs/case. They said they'd send the extra labels at no charge. Unfortunately, we decided not to go that route, but they seem like very amiable people, with a kickass product too. Good luck with whatever youre doing.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

travisimo
Nov 2, 2005, 10:48 PM

Jewel bozing is nice but you can get the same cases for much much less if you look around the net, i did my reel with the king sized super jewel case from sleeve city. http://www.sleevetown.com/super-jewel-boxes.shtml they're the EXACT same clear plastic cases you get from jewelboxing for less than half the price.

a friend of mine won a threadless contest a while back and got free jewelboxing cases with the pre made templates that were perferated, it's alright as long as you don't mind the little perf marks every 1/4 inch.

as far as the templates go that site also offeres the templates in like 5 different formats on mac and pc so it's really a cheaper way to go.. for a sample of the sleeve city case with a downloaded template http://www.travistevens.com/packaging/

jersey  (op)
Senior User
Nov 3, 2005, 05:42 PM

it would figure you can get them for less (usually i look around for things like that, but for some reason i didn't). anyway.. i ordered them and they arrived today. they are super nice, and i figure i'll cut the out with an exacto to eliminate the perforations.

travisimo, what printer did you use to print the inserts? did you use an inkjet printable dvd too?

travisimo
Nov 10, 2005, 09:37 AM

inkjet ALWAYS!. It's a well known fact the color laser dosn't reproduce accurate color and the toner will eventually rub off from day to day use. I used an everyday photosmart hp and i just picked up regular super hi gloss lables at office max.. i had to make my own templates though to use from photoshop.. which was easy enough.

Forum Links
Forum Rules