Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Developer Tools: Where are they?

Developer Tools: Where are they?
BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2005, 11:53 AM

Hi there,
I want to install Apple's FireWire SDK 20 to get some Comcast content from my Motorola 6412 onto my iMac G5. I went ahead and "installed" Apple's FireWire SDK 20... but noticed that no applications showed up afterwards. Reading the "Read Me" before that , I noticed:

"To install this SDK, you must have Mac OS X and the Developer Tools installed."

But then I also noticed (right below the above):

"You can use SDK 20 on Mac OS X 10.3.0 and later without installing any additional pieces..."

So, I just opted to go ahead with Apple's FireWire SDK 20 install without having Developer Tools installed (because I thought that's what the second quote was alluding to). In the end, it looks like Developer Tools are needed. So, Where can I get this? Is it free? Is that what Xcode is? Also, have I "hosed" anything since I "installed" Apple's FireWire SDK 20 without first having Developer Tools installed? I mean, it went through the installation process without Developer Tools installed, so what did it do (and I wish it would have checked to see if Developer Tools were, in fact, installed).

Thanks a ton,
BD

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2005, 12:01 PM

Good lord,
It did install properly... I just had to remember the difference between looking here (as the "Read Me" stated):

/Developer/FireWireSDK20/Applications/AVCVideoCap

And here (where I was looking for "Developer"):

~/

Sorry about that,
BD

Forum Links
Forum Rules