Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Aperture + Canon 300D + Export JPG = missing EXIF

Aperture + Canon 300D + Export JPG = missing EXIF
dvdnet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2006, 09:43 AM

Folks, a friend and I are baffled by this one. I only came across the issue when I was coding up a website and wanted to extract EXIF data in Perl from the uploaded images that I found did not have the exif data in them.

Using Aperture 1.5.2, and importing RAW images taken with a Canon 300D, we can see all the relevant EXIF data in the Metadata View window. ISO, F-stop, Focal Length etc. Now if I 'Export Version' and select a JPEG option that has 'Export Metadata' ticked, the resultant jpeg file does not have 1/4 of the EXIF data when viewing the image in Preview and performing Apple-I.

To continue to test this theory, I sent my friend samples of the same RAW images that he then loaded into his copy of Aperture and the same thing occured. We did it with his 400D images and they worked fine. My old cheap Pentax Optio 60 is all fine too. It only seems to occur with the EXIF data of the 300D images. I even took JPG images with the 300D, imported them into Aperture, Exported a JPG from them and voila, missing EXIF data.

I've searched high and low, googled all evening, searched on here, but to no avail. Has anyone else out there with a 300D and Aperture willing to try this themselves to confirm and does anyone have a solution? Is it a known issue with Aperture or the 300D?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

dvdnet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2006, 02:18 AM

Bump.

Surely there are others with Aperture installed and owning a 300D that can confirm this so I know it's not just affecting me?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2006, 10:32 AM

Gidday there,

I've got the same setup you have and I've just checked my JPG exports. I have the following available in mine:

That doesn't include focal length, which is interesting. Does that help at all?

dvdnet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2006, 10:42 AM

That's right, so it's a common problem then. We're only seeing about 1/5th of the actual EXIF data. And this is annoying when you export these images to upload to a gallery online and there is no real data to be exported for the image details.

Anyone found a workaround?

Thanks again,
Steve.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2007, 04:01 AM

bumpity. i have the same setup and wondering if its been fixed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules