Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iRDA, OSX, and HotSync

iRDA, OSX, and HotSync
stmoddell
Dec 10, 2001, 05:34 PM

So, I know that HotSync isn't currently an OSX option, but what I am worried about it that Apple appears to not be supporting iRDA in OSX. So my habit of syncing my Palm via the iRDA pot on my TiBook in not going to have a future.

Does anyone know if this is truly the case or if it is just a case of bad information? I don't have the sync cables for my Palm, and have gotten very comfortable with this way of working.

thanks
If its already broken, how can I mess it up by trying to fix it?

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2001, 06:15 PM

It sounds like iRDA support may be coming with 10.1.2. Check this thread out. Now, let's just hope that Palm meant it when they said, " by the end of the year."

Cheers!

edit: link should now work.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: MacmanX ]
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

stmoddell  (op)
Dec 24, 2001, 02:40 AM

Yipee, the IrDA is working in 10.1.2, at least for those of us with firewire or newer laptops. Now we are just waiting on Palm, and from the threads I see here, it is probably going to be a long wait.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2001, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by stmoddell:
<STRONG>Yipee, the IrDA is working in 10.1.2, at least for those of us with firewire or newer laptops. Now we are just waiting on Palm, and from the threads I see here, it is probably going to be a long wait.
</STRONG>
Well, Apple's list of enhancements with 10.1.2 says IrDA modem use with Firewire Powerbooks. I think that other IrDA activities are still lacking, sadly......I don't see any sign that my Pismo 500 senses any IrDA signals, from my printer, Palm, etc. (Booting into OS 9 gives me IrDA capabilities back with all of these.)

iBorg
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

stmoddell  (op)
Dec 24, 2001, 03:09 PM

Not sure if this will help, but you may have to set the IrDA to Null modem, and turn on the menu bar icon. Once that is applied, I had to click on the icon, and turn IrDA "on". It was an odd additional step, but once I did that I started to detect other devices.

I did notice that there doesn't seem to be Appletalk capabilities via IrDA, so if you printer or other devices aren't IP enabled, then this solution still comes up short.

st

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2001, 05:57 AM

<STRONG>Not sure if this will help, but you may have to set the IrDA to Null modem, and turn on the menu bar icon. Once that is applied, I had to click on the icon, and turn IrDA "on". It was an odd additional step, but once I did that I started to detect other devices.

I did notice that there doesn't seem to be Appletalk capabilities via IrDA, so if you printer or other devices aren't IP enabled, then this solution still comes up short.

st</STRONG>
I've recently switched to OS X, and am just getting acquainted with all the new Unix commands we'll now need to use. How exactly did you do this?

Any help would be appreciated!

iBorg
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 15.4" Glossy, 160GB - and loving it!

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2001, 09:15 PM

<STRONG>So, I know that HotSync isn't currently an OSX option, but what I am worried about it that Apple appears to not be supporting iRDA in OSX. So my habit of syncing my Palm via the iRDA pot on my TiBook in not going to have a future.

Does anyone know if this is truly the case or if it is just a case of bad information? I don't have the sync cables for my Palm, and have gotten very comfortable with this way of working.

thanks </STRONG>
Have you ever tried syching with a cable or crade - in my experience its a lot faster than irda.

Michael

stmoddell  (op)
Dec 26, 2001, 10:56 PM

I actually have never used the cables, but I have the lowest end Palm ever, and got it for a deal price, so I can live without the cable sync capability.

As far as the previous question, about setting the modem to null. That was not Unix, that was just exploring the network control panel, and type of modem for IrDA. Repeat, not unix, just standard poking around via pull down menus, control panels and such.

Let me know if you need step by step instructions, I'm happy to oblige.

dvot
Apr 2, 2002, 10:27 AM

I was able to sync my Sony 760c Clie with the newly released Palm Desktop 4 for OSX ONCE and only ONCE.

Since the initial sync, which took quite a long time, but went off like a hitch, the Clie has been unable to make a connection via irDA. My Ti PowerBook makes a little hard disk noise when I initiate the sync, but then the PDA gives me the erroro message.

Changing irDA modem to "null modem" hasn't helped either (just for the record)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Doug

RBattin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2002, 06:02 PM

Check Beam Receive is off in General Preferences on the handheld. If it is on you will get a "port is in use" error.

Forum Links
Forum Rules