Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Looking for a password keeper

Looking for a password keeper
wingdo
Senior User
Apr 23, 2002, 02:32 PM

I am looking for a program which will hold logins, passwords, serial numbers, and software registration information. It needs to have both a Palm and a Mac OS X interface (with conduit). So far the only one I have seen is Web Confidential.

I'd like to compare it to a couple of other programs before I fork out the $ for WC. What are you using?

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: wingdo ]
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

wingdo  (op)
Senior User
Apr 25, 2002, 08:52 PM

Anyone???

jparisi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2002, 10:31 AM

hey -

I use SplashID. I've tried Password Wallet, Web Confidential, and Splash ID. Splash ID won. It has a nice OSX interface and an even better plam interface. It will hold all the info you need it for. It also syncs with my PC (which i still need to sync vindigo and avantgo ) Splash ID is 19.95 and you could try it out before buying www.splashdata.com. Hope this info helped.

Joe

Originally posted by wingdo:
<STRONG>I am looking for a program which will hold logins, passwords, serial numbers, and software registration information. It needs to have both a Palm and a Mac OS X interface (with conduit). So far the only one I have seen is Web Confidential.

I'd like to compare it to a couple of other programs before I fork out the $ for WC. What are you using?

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: wingdo ]</STRONG>

RBattin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2002, 02:29 PM

Web Confidential works great for me! It integrates nicely with browsers and URL Manager Pro as well. From IE I can go to a passworded URL from the shared menu and it will fill in the fields for me.

<jmb>
Apr 27, 2002, 11:33 PM

Another vote for Web Confidential. It's not the cheapest, butit works really well, and the developer has been great at responding to requests (like a beta of the Palm conduit before it was officially released). The newest version works great on the mac under OS X. I had previously used STRIP on my Visor. It was free, but not very flexible, nor did it have a desktop counterpart. I really use both the handheld and desktop versions of WebCon a lot, and am glad I took the plunge.

MOMkatJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2002, 12:24 PM

I use, and like, YAPS (Yet another password safe)

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2002, 02:57 PM

I am partial to Splash ID. And it runs well on OS X.

wingdo  (op)
Senior User
May 10, 2002, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by mbperk:
<STRONG>I am partial to Splash ID. And it runs well on OS X.</STRONG>
Thanks, I've been trying SplashID for the last few days. I think it will be the one for me.

PGS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2002, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by mbperk:
<STRONG>I am partial to Splash ID. And it runs well on OS X.</STRONG>
So, you didn't have any trouble installing Palm Desktop 4.0? I've been a little hesitant to even attempt installing it.
PGS

"An Apple a day since '82"

wingdo  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2002, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by PGS:
<STRONG>So, you didn't have any trouble installing Palm Desktop 4.0? I've been a little hesitant to even attempt installing it.</STRONG>
I myself have had no problems with Palm Desktop for X. I only wish there were more conduits (like Avantgo and DataViz). Vindigo just released their OS X conduit so there is hope.

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2002, 07:30 AM

Another vote for Web Confidential. I too looked a bit around before choosing, but WC was the best for me.

Peter

wingdo  (op)
Senior User
May 16, 2002, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by peterthorn:
<STRONG>Another vote for Web Confidential. I too looked a bit around before choosing, but WC was the best for me.

Peter</STRONG>
I liked Web Confidential, but I dislike the fact it installs 'shared menus' into my system. I can't use URL Manager Pro on my system since switching to OS X because shared menus causes great instability to IE at least on my system. With Web Confidential (or URL Manager Pro) installed, IE crashes on me all the time. When they are not installed, IE is quite stable.

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2002, 05:33 AM

Originally posted by wingdo:
<STRONG>

I liked Web Confidential, but I dislike the fact it installs 'shared menus' into my system. I can't use URL Manager Pro on my system since switching to OS X because shared menus causes great instability to IE at least on my system. With Web Confidential (or URL Manager Pro) installed, IE crashes on me all the time. When they are not installed, IE is quite stable.</STRONG>
I agree with you on the "shared menu" thing. And I have to admit that it took me some time to find the right pref on how to disable it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules