Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > editing keyboard mappings

editing keyboard mappings
rek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2002, 10:19 AM

I quite often need to browse PDFs, HTML pages, etc. and have found that the lack of dedicated "Page Up" and "Page Down" keys on my TiBook's keyboard mean I need to use Option-up and Option-down instead.

OK, great, but there is no option key near the direction arrows on the Ti's keyboard ... it would be nice and convenient to have one right nearby, so it can be done without using both hands.

Anyway, there *IS* an "Enter" key right next door that I never use. So I thought about re-mapping that Enter key to be a second Option key. A web search brought up this useful info re: remapping keyboards in OSX:
http://www.macintouch.com/mosxreaderreports63.html (first article)

So I tried doing this (I couldn't find QuickConvert, so I needed to use the "copy Localized.rsrc temp/rsrc" type trick to get the resource fork where classic ResEdit can find it.) But, it appears that the functions of these 'special' keys (Option, Enter, Cmd, etc.) are locked in ResEdit, and can't be re-assigned like any of the normal character keys can.

Does anyone know if these keys can be re-assigned at all? Maybe it's the keyboard template I should look to edit, and not the localised keyboard layouts ...

Or .. can the key operations be reversed such that Command-up/down is "Page Up"/"Page Down", and Option-up/down is "go to top"/"go to bottom" ?

I know, I know ... I'm going to great lengths just to be lazy ...

[ 05-18-2002: Message edited by: rek ]

rek  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2002, 10:21 AM

whoops, that trick I mentioned to move the data fork into a resource fork is "cp Localised.rsrc temp/rsrc" ... not "copy" ... old Windows habits die hard

[ 05-18-2002: Message edited by: rek ]

RBattin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2002, 07:09 PM

I don't know how to do it technically but on my Pismo PowerBook the useless Enter key has been remapped to Command. Don't know if there's a keyboard software difference with a TiBook. Get this freeware:
CommandAndControl

Forum Links
Forum Rules