Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Networking in OS X?

Networking in OS X?
bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
May 19, 2002, 03:47 AM

Although all of our computer have OS X, I still have to use AppleTalk over the network because I can't get the OS X network to work.. Also, at startup the bootprocess stops for about a minute when "Starting Network" (or something similar).. All computers are set to use DHCP.. What should I do to get the OS X network to work? I mean accessing public folders.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2002, 04:10 AM

Is this network going to be connected to the internet somehow? If they are using DHCP, then I assume you have a router or something? If the router is giving out the IPs and OS X is set to receive them, you should be golden.

If you have nothing serving the DHCP, then you need to set up static IPs for your computers. 192.168.x.x work well.

zigmeister
Forum Regular
May 19, 2002, 12:25 PM

OS X networking, while more stable and robust, isnt very friendly. Can hardly wait for Rendezvous, seems it will be a great implementation.
Master of Zigs

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2002, 01:23 PM

OS X networking, while more stable and robust, isnt very friendly. Can hardly wait for Rendezvous, seems it will be a great implementation.
Nonsense. It works the same way it did in OS 9. Rendevous is simply a solution for some of the weaknesses of IP in a LAN environment - those weaknesses occur in both OS 9 and X (and Windows, and Linux, etc).

The only thing that's particularly "unfriendly" in OS X is having to use a URL to access an SMB server. But since that wasn't an option in OS 9 without 3rd party software, it doesn't really count.

Wade

zigmeister
Forum Regular
May 19, 2002, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by wadesworld:
<STRONG>

Nonsense. It works the same way it did in OS 9. Rendevous is simply a solution for some of the weaknesses of IP in a LAN environment - those weaknesses occur in both OS 9 and X (and Windows, and Linux, etc).

Wade</STRONG>
What I miss in OS X is automatic display of all the other LAN computers on the connect to dialog, sort of what it happened on the chooser or on the network browser. In order to connect I have to know respective ip numbers, which is not very friendly. Rendezvous apparently addresses this *weak* point of IP in a LAN environment.
Master of Zigs

JLL
Professional Poster
May 19, 2002, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by zigmeister:
<STRONG>

What I miss in OS X is automatic display of all the other LAN computers on the connect to dialog, sort of what it happened on the chooser or on the network browser. In order to connect I have to know respective ip numbers, which is not very friendly. Rendezvous apparently addresses this *weak* point of IP in a LAN environment.</STRONG>
If you're on the same subnet you should be able to see all the other computers.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
May 19, 2002, 04:42 PM

If you have nothing serving the DHCP, then you need to set up static IPs for your computers. 192.168.x.x work well.
Yeah, I have no DHCP server, but that's usally the easiest way to get it to work.. So if I'm going to do it manually, do I have to change anything else than the IPs? I have three macs using X.

RBattin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2002, 06:53 PM

For an internal network simply manually setting unique IP numbers close to one another (same subnet) is enoough. Set first computer to 192.168.1.1, second 192.168.1.2, and third 192.168.1.3. Set Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0 and all will be fine. Router is not necessary for your LAN until you want all computers to connect to the internet . Enable File Sharing if desired and go!

zigmeister
Forum Regular
May 20, 2002, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
<STRONG>

If you're on the same subnet you should be able to see all the other computers.</STRONG>
I should, but they dont show up, all that shows up is a bunch of repeated aliases or whatever to my own server.

Anyway, its no big issue for me...
Master of Zigs

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
May 21, 2002, 12:18 AM

Right now connecting to Win servers is a hit or miss affair. I know it works for some people, but it really is inconsistent. While I'm sure you can make it work if you twiddle long enough I got fed up and just use FTP.

The problem is that it doesn't seem to be consistent at all. I can access our NT4.0 server but not our Win2K server. Further you do have to know all that extra info that you don't on a Windows client. It's no big deal to me, but were I a more typical Mac user in a heterogenus environment I'd be pissed. Further I never did figure out how to access the shared printer.

If those annoyances get fixed in Jaguar I'll be far happier than over anything other than a multi-threaded speedy Finder.

Forum Links
Forum Rules