Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Remote PC operation

Remote PC operation
KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
May 27, 2002, 04:22 PM

Currently I have a Powerbook and a PC desktop. After MWNY I plan to purchase a Powermac and I am wondering if, through ethernet, I could connect up my PC to the Mac and remotely operate the PC for the few times that I may need it?

farmer
May 27, 2002, 04:35 PM

I am a little confused. Do you want to be able to admin the pc over the internet with your powerbook? Or do you want to admin the pc from the powermac?

Either way you have two choices. (Two that come to mind at least)
VNC
It's free and it works. I have only had good luck with it over high bandwith connections. For remote administration over the internet it gets pretty choppy. If you want to admin the pc from the powermac locally on your network it should work fine. Play with the default settings of the program and your computer to optimize performance.
<a href="http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/" target="_blank">vnc</a>

If you are willing to spend some money, Timbuktu. Better performance,security, and enhanced features.
<a href="http://www.netopia.com/en-us/software/products/tb2/multi/index.html" target="_blank">timbuktu multi platform</a>

<small>[ 05-27-2002, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: farmer ]</small>

RBattin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2002, 04:37 PM

Timbuktu will control a PC from the Mac. File transfer is easier and available out of the box.

kman42
Professional Poster
May 27, 2002, 05:46 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by farmer:
<strong>I am a little confused. Do you want to be able to admin the pc over the internet with your powerbook? Or do you want to admin the pc from the powermac?

Either way you have two choices. (Two that come to mind at least)
VNC
It's free and it works. I have only had good luck with it over high bandwith connections. For remote administration over the internet it gets pretty choppy. If you want to admin the pc from the powermac locally on your network it should work fine. Play with the default settings of the program and your computer to optimize performance.
<a href="http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/" target="_blank">vnc</a>

If you are willing to spend some money, Timbuktu. Better performance,security, and enhanced features.
<a href="http://www.netopia.com/en-us/software/products/tb2/multi/index.html" target="_blank">timbuktu multi platform</a></strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I have a couple of VNC questions. Can you do file transfer? Can I run a vnc server on my osx box and use it while another user is logged in? [I'm doubtful, but more miraculous things have happened].

thanks,
kman

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2002, 06:44 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by kman42:
<strong>I have a couple of VNC questions. Can you do file transfer? Can I run a vnc server on my osx box and use it while another user is logged in? [I'm doubtful, but more miraculous things have happened].

thanks,
kman</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">With VNC you cannot do File Transfer. But then again, their are hundreds of dedicated options for that.
Neither vnc nor timbuktu allows you to administer a win pc when another person is logged in without them noticing it.

DJ

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

Jon_h
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2002, 09:05 PM

Its a bit convoluted but...
Install Terminal Services Server on your PC ( management is sufficient, dont know how much it costs, might even be free ).
Install XonX on your Mac.
Go to rdesktop.org and get the Terminal Services client for X, and compile it.
Run from command line.
( If you have virtualPC it is probably quite capable of running the windows client, its not very demanding ).

Ive used it to administer Win2k boxes from linux, and it worked well.
TS is fairly parsimonious, and I use it successfully over a 28.8 connection at the moment.

It is certainly much better than VNC, or PCAnywhere ( never user Timbuktu ). It doesnt do file transfers, but that is what ftp is for.

It allows you to log on as any user you want, irresspective of who is using the machine, and invisibily. It is a fully multi user experience.

Moose
Senior User
May 28, 2002, 08:50 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Jon_h:
<strong>Its a bit convoluted but...
Install Terminal Services Server on your PC ( management is sufficient, dont know how much it costs, might even be free ).
Install XonX on your Mac.
Go to rdesktop.org and get the Terminal Services client for X, and compile it.
Run from command line.
( If you have virtualPC it is probably quite capable of running the windows client, its not very demanding ).

Ive used it to administer Win2k boxes from linux, and it worked well.
TS is fairly parsimonious, and I use it successfully over a 28.8 connection at the moment.

It is certainly much better than VNC, or PCAnywhere ( never user Timbuktu ). It doesnt do file transfers, but that is what ftp is for.

It allows you to log on as any user you want, irresspective of who is using the machine, and invisibily. It is a fully multi user experience.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Euuughh...Terminal Services Server is only available for Windows 2000 Server products, Windows .NET Server products, and Windows XP Professional (might be available in XP Home--haven't used that, so I can't say). In Windows 2000 Server, only members of the local Administrators group are able to log in using Remote Administrator mode. I am unsure of how XP fares in this respect. Remote Desktop Protocol certainly has come a long way in the past few versions.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2002, 09:21 AM

Another vote here for Timbuktu. Wonderful cross-platform application. Controls either your PC OR your Mac, file transfer, etc. Look into it.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules