Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wireless Broadband Card For Mac/PC

Wireless Broadband Card For Mac/PC
BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2007, 10:50 PM

Hi there,
Can anyone tell me if they know of a wireless broadband card that will work in my home MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo AND my work IBM ThinkPad T42? I am lost in terms of 3G, EDGE, EVDO, GPRS and have no idea where to start. All I really want is to get a card that will allow me to work online, away from home with either machine.

I don't particularly care about a carrier (although having Cingular for cell phone service, it'd be nice to stay with that one).

Thanks so much. Even a simple link to some web page that helps explain the differences and computer compatibility would be great. See ya,
BD

rjt1000
Senior User
Jan 2, 2007, 11:19 PM

Since your MacBook doesnt have an expresscard slot or PCMCIA slot, using a broadband-equipped cellphone as a modem seems to be the solution.

These two links have some more info:

Cellular Broadband for Dummies (Because Wi-Fi is for Wussies) - Gizmodo

Wireless Broadband ExpressCard/34 from Verizon Wireless
( Last edited by rjt1000; Jan 2, 2007 at 11:29 PM. )

amjohnst
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2007, 09:58 AM

You can try a USB EVDO modem such as the Sprint Novatel U720. It apparently takes a little bit of work to get it working with a Mac, but there are rumors that 10.4.9 will bring native support for the U720. (Apple has been gradually adding support for various EVDO modems with each OS X point release). See here for more information.

BoulderDash  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007, 11:25 PM

Thanks so much guys... looks like I'll be looking into the U720, as we already use Sprint at work.

See ya,
BD

EVDOinfo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2007, 12:02 PM

In case you are interested, here is a good review of the Sprint U720.

Sprint Novatel Ovation U720 Rev-A USB Modem Review

EVDOinfo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2007, 12:05 PM

For folks who prefer Verizon EVDO, they have released their new USB720 Rev-A USB Modem as well. Get it cheaper when you follow a link on this page -> http://www.evdoinfo.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules