Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > PDA Buying Advice

PDA Buying Advice
m_brand0
Mar 15, 2002, 01:54 PM

Hello everyone..

I am looking to purchase a PDA to replace my now ancient Palm V. I just started looking and don't know really what is the best. I do like the Palm but am also open to the Sony Clie or a Handspring (I have no interest in the Treo phone).

What is new with color screens these days? Is the m515's screen good for both indoor/outdoor? What is the battery life like on color screens vs. the mono?

I use my palm for scheduling and addresses as well as Pocket Quicken and a game every now and then. I alsouse Franklin Covet's Time Management software every day. I would get a Blackberry but it doesn't support Franklin. I have not read many good reviews on the i705. How easy is it to get email wirelessly through, say, the m515 or some other PDA?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm in the process of reading about the various PDA's but would welcome opinions of MacNN readers.

Right now the only requirement is that my PDA is rechargable (no AAA batteries, please) and runs on the Palm OS. Other than that I'm completely open. Price is really not an object.

I would love to get a nice new Apple PDA but I think we all know that there is not a snowball's chance in hell of that happening anytime soon.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

- Keith Korneluk
[email protected]

ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2002, 02:44 PM

Here's CNET's Top 5 Palm OS PDAs: http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0....html?tag=prmo

I'm lucky enough to have the #1: Clie N610c. Just got it the other day & I love it. It was an upgrade from my old Palm V. The Clie is definitely thicker and heavier, but in all other respects it simply blows the Palm V away. The screen is phenomenal... like PowerBook quality. The memory is 8mb which is enough for me, but I added a 32mb Memory Stick just for comfort. The processor is super quick. HotSync with the native USB connection (no Keyspan or Palm Serial/USB adapters!) is blazingly fast. It syncs right out of the box with Palm Desktop or, in my case, Now Up To Date/Contact. The little jog wheel is great. The drivers from Markspace will allow you to mount the Memory Stick on the desktop...

But the screen, the screen, the screen, the screen!
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

taffy
Mar 16, 2002, 01:04 AM

well, it really depends on how much dough you wanna spend for your next PDA. I've looked at the new sony clie models, and personally, i'm not too fond of the shiny silver surface which are just bound to get scratched up and catch figerprints. The size isn't too bad, but the palm m505's are smaller i believe.

Now the coulour screen issue, colour screens are indeed great. I own a palm IIIc, and personally i havn't seen any screens better than this. It's soo bright that if i wanted to, i can use it in, complete dark theatres and stuff. I havn't seen the new palm m515's, but the palm m505's new colour screen was VERY disappointing in my opinion. sure you can see it better than say, a palm IIIc under direct sunlight, but it seemed mostly too dim to me. The fact that the colour screen on my palm IIIc allows me to use it in complete dark is probably the only reason why i enjoy it.

-ck

Pauline
Mar 16, 2002, 09:05 AM

I just bought one of the Palm M515's a week or so ago. I had looked at the M505 six months ago but the screen was too dim so I went with the Clie instead. Although the Clie's screen is fantastic I much prefer the Palm M515's form factor and the battery life is greater. I can usually get about 10 hours from the Low biright setting, which is still much brighter than the M505 was on it's highest.

With regards to e-mail I used the the infra-red port on my, Ericsson T68, mobile phone and Palm which worked fine. Two days ago I bought the Palm SD bluetooth card and now use it to check my e-mail with the phone tucked away in my shirt pocket which is fantastic as theer is no need to line the phone and pda up to use infra-red anymore
Powerbook G4 1Ghz | 1 GB Ram | 60 GB

m_brand0  (op)
Mar 19, 2002, 05:44 PM

I ended up going with the m515. I am very intersted to see how it works out. I'll post a review up when I get it March 22.

Forum Links
Forum Rules