Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > US behind in broadband

US behind in broadband
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 02:36 PM

"The number of Americans using fast Internet connections doubled from 2001 through late 2003, still below some expectations and especially low among minority groups and people in rural areas, according to a report by the Bush administration.

Some experts said growth was disappointing, far behind countries that include South Korea, Taiwan and Canada. The report also identified troubling figures for use or availability of high-speed Internet services among blacks, Hispanics and people in rural areas.

"This is lousy," said Harris Miller, head of the Information Technology Association of America, a leading industry trade group in Washington. "We're just not keeping up with our competitors. We're not even keeping up with countries we don't consider competitors. It's not acceptable."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=273938

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 02:39 PM

I love that I can get DSL is the shittiest, most back-water hole in Canada yet my American friend in florida can only get satellite.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 02:40 PM

<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2004, 02:40 PM

We don't have the voter turnout that many other countries do, either.

I blame the church, reality TV, and the Republican party for the lack of broadband penetration.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 02:42 PM

I have cable internet... FAST

Kilbey
Baninated
Nov 23, 2004, 02:45 PM

Jealous much?

How else can you explain your obsession with the U.S.A. SWF?

Or is in insecurity?

ON TOPIC: I am in a tiny town nearly 20 miles from a semi-major city, and I have a 3Mb connection for $35.

Most people in the US simply don't let their lives revolve around teh intraweb like 3rd world countries resident such as the Canadians do.

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
Jealous much?
I am jealous that Canada has better broadband then the US? Uh huh.

I knew you would be in here with your Canada obsession and finding a pro to being behind

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
I am jealous that Canada has better broadband then the US? Uh huh.

I knew you would be in here with your Canada obsession and finding a pro to being behind
Right quick: What is the fastest connection a consumer in Canada can buy at a reasonable price (say, below $100CDN).
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 23, 2004, 02:54 PM

Canada rocks!

I have had high speed internet for as long as I can remember. It's the only way to go.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

brapper
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 02:55 PM

Most people in the US simply don't let their lives revolve around teh intraweb like 3rd world countries resident such as the Canadians do.
Go make me another Saab.

deedar
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 02:58 PM

blah, blah, blah...

"...It's not acceptable."

Tell me about it. I'm only friggin 40 miles from the Capital of California and all I can get (besides dialup) is this farking satellite for $60/mo (plus an initial $600 in equipment).

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
Right quick: What is the fastest connection a consumer in Canada can buy at a reasonable price (say, below $100CDN).
We have nothing that damn expensive:

This is the DSL pricing:
3 megs down, 1 meg up for $40 CAN ($32 US). No limits and restrictions.
4 megs down, 1 meg up for $60 CAN ($32 US). No limits and restrictions.

Dial up is all but dead as they rather sell you a slower DSL package for $20 and have always on and not tie up your phone line.

http://www.bell.ca/shop/application/...cess/index.jsp

Either way this widespread DSL has been all over Canada since 1998. It started at 1 meg and the price has always remained the same.

Cable pricing seems about the same but in theory a tad faster.

Satellite is also available for the people in the sticks.

Canada has one of the best backbones for telecommunications in the world and considering we are larger in land mass then the US and have a much much smaller population that is impressive.

On anther note 94% of the country (even the middle of nowhere) has Cellphone access and High speed is moving over to Power lines at 8 megs min over the next couple years.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 23, 2004, 03:30 PM

These jealous Canucks are annoying with their constant whining. Canada is once again leeching off the backs of the USA, much like a dirty flea on a dog, or a worm parasite in one's intestines.

Without the USA, how many Canadians would be on the internet ? ANSWER = Zero - There would be no internet without the USA. All internet users and USA haters can also thank the mighty US military for the development and funding of the internet.

A higher percentage of Americans are on the net than Canadians.

User growth in Canada from 2000-2004 = 61 %
User growth in the USA from 2000-2004 = 111.5 % - - - almost double the Canadian growth rate.

Population penetration (sounds dirty) in Canada = 64.2 %
Population penetration in the USA = 68.8 %

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats2.htm

Signed - R2D2's misplaced Penis

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 23, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
These jealous Canucks are annoying with their constant whining. Canada is once again leeching off the backs of the USA, much like a dirty flea on a dog, or a worm parasite in one's intestines.

Without the USA, how many Canadians would be on the internet ? ANSWER = Zero - There would be no internet without the USA. All internet users and USA haters can also thank the mighty US military for the development and funding of the internet.

User growth in the USA from 2000-2004 = 111.5 % - - - almost double the Canadian growth rate.

They don't take into consideration of the people who could CARE LESS to have the internet.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 23, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
the people who could CARE LESS to have the internet.
Then why don't they? (sorry, that phrase is misused all the time, had to get pedantic)

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 03:38 PM

We have nothing that damn expensive:

This is the DSL pricing:
3 megs down, 1 meg up for $40 CAN ($32 US). No limits and restrictions.
4 megs down, 1 meg up for $60 CAN ($32 US). No limits and restrictions.

Dial up is all but dead as they rather sell you a slower DSL package for $20 and have always on and not tie up your phone line.

http://www.bell.ca/shop/application/...cess/index.jsp

Either way this widespread DSL has been all over Canada since 1998. It started at 1 meg and the price has always remained the same.

Cable pricing seems about the same but in theory a tad faster.

Satellite is also available for the people in the sticks.

Canada has one of the best backbones for telecommunications in the world and considering we are larger in land mass then the US and have a much much smaller population that is impressive.

On anther note 94% of the country (even the middle of nowhere) has Cellphone access and High speed is moving over to Power lines at 8 megs min over the next couple years.
Okay, first off, I set the $100CDN limit just as a way of preventing anyone listing something like a T1 and saying "durr haha dyrrr", but you didn't quite take it like that.

The reason for Canada having a better telecomunications infrastructure isn't that "HAHA CANADA > YUO", but because I'm fairly sure that they had built it later on than the United States, and as such had more time to research what to do and what no to do. Second, the reason the United States has a gigantic infrastructure is because we were first in the game, and have (not very intelligently) built upon older systems over and over again.

HOWEVER, in terms of bandwidth distribution, it is a very different story. Canada's population is around 32 million people. The United States has around 293 million people. From an economic stand point, it's cheaper for Canadian Telcos and ISPs to offer more bandwidth per package because the rate of bandwidth consumption in Canada (i'm willing to wager) is a hell of a lot less than the United States. Here, we have a lot more people online (both in home and elsewhere) and that totals to a higher usage of bandwidth, and hence less available per second per connection here.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 03:39 PM

You sure sound jealous and angry

We don't need "growth" as we have had widespread high speed for 5 years! Sucka.
Plus it is much cheaper.

And we built our own telecommunications structure.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2004, 03:41 PM

Jealous much?

How else can you explain your obsession with the U.S.A. SWF?

Or is in insecurity?

ON TOPIC: I am in a tiny town nearly 20 miles from a semi-major city, and I have a 3Mb connection for $35.

I live in the middle of "the smokeys" and get 5Mb for $65 /mo. Yeah, we're really backwards around here too.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 03:42 PM

All internet users and USA haters can also thank the mighty US military for the development and funding of the internet.
oh, not this bullsh1t again. if the us military hadn't developed it, somebody else would have. they sure as hell didn't invent it.

and if there weren't so many capable 'americans' working with the web, people in other places would just set up something similar. jesuslanders has never done **** for anybody. nor have they developed anything worthwhile.

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 23, 2004, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:
oh, not this bullsh1t again. if the us military hadn't developed it, somebody else would have. they sure as hell didn't invent it.

and if there weren't so many capable 'americans' working with the web, people in other places would just set up something similar. jesuslanders has never done **** for anybody. nor have they developed anything worthwhile.
I'm not even Christian, but I'd rather be a Jesuslander as opposed to a HItlerlander, such as yourself.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:

Odds are that, yes, something resembling the internet would have been invented by some other group. But it probably would have occurred a bit later (figure a decade), probably would have stayed in the labs, and never been meant for general usage in the global populace.

Hell, the reason it's so widespread as it is right now is basically due to stupidity in the US Government. At the end of the 80s, ARPA scrapped the project and left it up to the universities and civilian agencies to pick it up. From there, the rest is history.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 03:50 PM

If you hasn't someone else would have. Stop using snowmobiles because their all ours. See, your argument is stupid you racist pig. We happen to be your largest trading partner so I wouldn't bitch too much, buddy.

Umm, thats growth rate not number online.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 03:52 PM

I'm not even Christian, but I'd rather be a Jesuslander as opposed to a HItlerlander, such as yourself.
Hey, knock it off there. If it weren't for the europeans you wouldn't even exist.

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 23, 2004, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
If you hasn't someone else would have. Stop using snowmobiles because their all ours. See, your argument is stupid you racist pig. We happen to be your largest trading partner so I wouldn't bitch too much, buddy.

Umm, thats growth rate not number online.
So Canadians are a race heh ?

Are you a product of the Canadian educational system ?

DBursey
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
I live in the middle of "the smokeys" and get 5Mb for $65 /mo. Yeah, we're really backwards around here too.
$65 US seems mighty pricy. Broadband is relatively cheap here in Canada. My DSL service provides 3Mb/1Mb for $39.95 CDN, including 100 free long distance minutes on the phone service.

The internet as we know it today evolved from the ARPANET project at UCLA in the early seventies. Where do you get the military connection?

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by DBursey:
The internet as we know it today evolved from the ARPANET project at UCLA in the early seventies. Where do you get the military connection?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET

First sentence.

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 03:59 PM

yeah, i'm such a complete and total fascist.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2004, 03:59 PM

$65 US seems mighty pricy. Broadband is relatively cheap here in Canada. My DSL service provides 3Mb/1Mb for $39.95 CDN, including 100 free long distance minutes on the phone service.
Ummm.. I've got 5Mb not 3 (and it's 5Mb down and up), if I'd only wanted 3 I'd only be paying $29US (and LD doesn't matter to me, I don't pay for LD).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 04:00 PM

So Canadians are a race heh ?

Are you a product of the Canadian educational system ?

News for ya, being hateful towards another countries people is still racism even if they aren't technically a race.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus

I don't understand why just because something negative is said about the U.S, it's met by the same people always just backing up negative thing. I've heard in this thread it's because our infrastructure is older and wasn't thought out as well in the beginning. Yeah, so, duh, doesn't that mean the article has a point and that moving to some new infrastructure could be necessary? So many people seem to just dismiss it by citing the reason, rather than realizing the reason could have a solution and no longer be a reason!

I can understand the reasons, too, and they are valid, but the reason itself is not a solution.

PacHead
Baninated

The internet was originally conceived for the U.S. military as a means of allowing a community of computers to share information over distance. It's generally accepted that its later development was spurred on as much for research purposes as for military applications.

Canadian source ------->>>>> http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/internet/

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 23, 2004, 04:02 PM

News for ya, being hateful towards another countries people is still racism even if they aren't technically a race.
And I got news for ya, no it's not. You are technically wrong.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
I don't understand why just because something negative is said about the U.S, it's met by the same people always just backing up negative thing. I've heard in this thread it's because our infrastructure is older and wasn't thought out as well in the beginning. Yeah, so, duh, doesn't that mean the article has a point and that moving to some new infrastructure could be necessary? So many people seem to just dismiss it by citing the reason, rather than realizing the reason could have a solution and no longer be a reason!

I can understand the reasons, too, and they are valid, but the reason itself is not a solution.
It's a bigger task than is feasible for companies to do. If the government stepped in again and tossed a ton of money at it, odds are a lot of things would be solved. But even I don't think the government should get another big crack at anything relating to the restructuring of a public internetwork.

While the current method of "eh, lets just keep building on what we made ten years ago" isn't the best method, it's the cheapest, and continues to work with the ever increasing load.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 04:04 PM

The dictionary would like a word with you.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 23, 2004, 04:06 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET

First sentence.
Watch out, you might get jumped on for your choice of source. Oh wait, you share his opinion. Nevermind.

Jaey
Mac Elite

**** it, I'm moving to Canada.

Addicted to MacNN

I don't understand why just because something negative is said about the U.S, it's met by the same people always just backing up negative thing.
Because Pachead, Zimph and Kilbey can't stand a single bad thing being said about the US and bitch moan and point the finger all over the place to try to disprove it.

I mean this is a friggin statistic and they still can't take it

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 04:08 PM

The dictionary would like a word with you.
Then what would you call hate towards another country? I vote for Kilbey.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 04:08 PM

Watch out, you might get jumped on for your choice of source. Oh wait, you share his opinion. Nevermind.
What? The whole thing stemmed from ARPA, which was created by the Department of Defense. The project's goal was to create an information system that could withstand a nuclear attack on a major city and continue to function.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 23, 2004, 04:09 PM

And I got news for ya, no it's not. You are technically wrong.
He is wrong, since Canadian is a race. According to the dictionary.

2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.

CD Hanks is right that racism is towards races, hence the term, but race can be divided up by country lines...

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 04:09 PM

Then what would you call hate towards another country? I vote for Kilbey.
I think bigotry works fine.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 04:12 PM

He is wrong, since Canadian is a race. According to the dictionary.

2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.

CD Hanks is right that racism is towards races, hence the term, but race can be divided up by country lines...
I think we're running into a problem of symantics.

I know plenty of people who use the word "race" in terms of usage when dealing with a persons skin color. So how does skin color relate to a persons country of origin?

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus

What? The whole thing stemmed from ARPA, which was created by the Department of Defense. The project's goal was to create an information system that could withstand a nuclear attack on a major city and continue to function.
I wasn't attacking you for the information. In fact, I wasn't even attacking you for the source. I was actually indirectly (in a direct sort of way) pointing out that Zimphire does not trust wikipedia, and would call you out on it if you didn't share his opinion. So really, my post has nothing to do with you...

CD Hanks
Mac Elite

I wasn't attacking you for the information. In fact, I wasn't even attacking you for the source. I was actually indirectly (in a direct sort of way) pointing out that Zimphire does not trust wikipedia, and would call you out on it if you didn't share his opinion. So really, my post has nothing to do with you...
Oh, okay.

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 23, 2004, 04:13 PM

Because Pachead, Zimph and Kilbey can't stand a single bad thing being said about the US and bitch moan and point the finger all over the place to try to disprove it.

A lot of that article is opinion, not statistics.

You are about as honest as Michael Moore on a bad day, and your motives for posting your crap can be proven. You are just a simple, little whiny USA hater.

For example, you titled this thread US behind in broadband.

Funny, when I click on your link (The source you use), the name of the article is.Fast-internet use doubles in the USA

Talk about being dishonest.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 04:13 PM

Statistics are for US-hating frenchies

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 23, 2004, 04:15 PM

I think we're running into a problem of symantics.

I know plenty of people who use the word "race" in terms of usage when dealing with a person's skin color. So how does skin color relate to a persons country of origin?
I agree about race, how Caucasian is generally a race and that can include many Americans, Canadians, Europeans and many others. I was merely pointing out that the dictionary definition of "race" does include geographic boundaries. You might also note that many East Asian countries have people who look very similar but have historically had a racist attitude towards one another. A specific example would be the Koreans and the Japanese.

But yes, we're playing a word game now. I'm one pedantic mofo today. :shrug:

Jaey
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 04:15 PM

yada yada
You are about as honest as Michael Moore on a bad day
And Michael Moore is dishonest because he doesn't agree with the Bush administration

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2004, 04:17 PM

Funny, when I click on your link (The source you use), the name of the article is.Fast-internet use doubles in the USA

Talk about being dishonest.
Dishonest? If that is what you call dishonest no wonder you don't want to believe what Moore says. What I said in the title was 100% true based on the story I linked to. You are just part of the stupid 52% of Americans

"Some experts said growth was disappointing, far behind countries that include South Korea, Taiwan and Canada. "

No prove that the US's largest voting turnout isn't below Canada's Lowest voting turnout.

Oh and that the US dollars value isn't decreasing next to Canada's

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 23, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Jaey:
And Michael Moore is dishonest because he doesn't agree with the Bush administration
No, he's dishonest, because he is a fat liar, simple isn't it ? Believe what you want.

Forum Links
Forum Rules