Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > You got yourself a new MacBook. Which one?...

You got yourself a new MacBook. Which one?...
Pomar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2008, 08:43 PM

... 2.1 white (the superdrive one)?
... 2.0 aluminum?
... 2.4 aluminum?

Why that one?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2008, 08:50 PM

2.53 Aluminum MBP
Because I wanted the superior GPU and the pluses for the 2.53 and the advantages I got with a 2.53 outweighed the cost increase
~Mike

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 30, 2008, 10:07 PM

Still deciding between 2.0 and 2.4, but still looking to downsize from Feb '08 MBP. ~ $NZ400 for 20% clock speed and backlit keyboard eh ... oh and bigger hard drive although planning either way to go for custom offered 320GB 7200RPM HD.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2008, 07:48 PM

2.1 white refurb (combo drive) --> MUCH cheaper (with much cheaper RAM too), fulfills my needs, and has FireWire.

I may get the AluMacBook later, but only if the low end model gets a backlit keyboard.

jaydon34
Senior User
Nov 1, 2008, 08:05 PM

I purchased the 2.0 aluminum macbook. I was coming from a 1.8 core duo mac mini so I don't really notice a dramatic increase in speed but the size and portability are amazing. I was actually debating getting a maxed out refurbished white one but the case redesign was well worth the buy.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 1, 2008, 09:51 PM

We were looking at a maxed-out BlackBook to replace my wife's now rather slow 800MHz G4 iBook, but now we're looking at the 2.4GHz Aluminum MacBook. Mostly this is to provide a machine that will last her a long time before it needs to be replaced.

Although...the NEW white 13" MacBook ain't bad looking at all...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bearcatrp
Senior User
Nov 1, 2008, 10:14 PM

Aluminum 2Ghz mac book. Just wanted something for internet, read my rss feeds etc. I had a 12 inch powerbook a year ago but sold it to help pay for my mac pro. Missed the 12 inch form and hoped apple would build another. This is close enough. Awesome machine.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Although...the NEW white 13" MacBook ain't bad looking at all...
Personally I think the new $999 white MB serves two purposes: It caters to MB buyers that absolutely want FW and that simply cannot spend $1299 on their new MB. If you can be w/o FW and you can afford $1299 the new unibody MBs are just so much nicer I wouldn't hesitate for a second. Check out one in person. The solid feel, the finish, the screen. It's a huge improvement over the previous plastic MBs.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2008, 06:26 PM

My previous laptop was the PowerBook T1 1ghz purchased almost 5 years ago.

I really didn't plan on purchasing one since I was still happy with the PowerBook, but when I saw the Apple webcast, I knew I had to upgrade.

I bought a custom MBP with 2.8ghz, 320GB 7200rpm HD and for the first time ever, I purchased the Applecare Protection Plan. I figure I'm going to have this for 5 years, so I should try to cover it for most of it.

When I got it, I realized this thing is fast. I mean real fast. I upgraded my PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8ghz with a X800 video card and it does not compare to this thing.

I decided to sell my PowerMac G5 on ebay and use the new MacBook Pro as my primary machine. It is awesome.

Forum Links
Forum Rules