Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Yet another bug to be named (spider)

Yet another bug to be named (spider)
Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2005, 11:36 AM

I have noticed a lot of bug threads lately. shoot, even tooki had a bug he wanted tagged. well i guess ill take a shot at it.

this guy is easily the size of a half dollar coin. Pretty scary critter. If i am not mistaken they make those funnel webs.

thank you,

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2005, 11:49 AM

I believe that is a wolf spider. Fairly harmless to humans.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2005, 12:00 PM

A few weeks back, I had just gotten to work at around 6:30am, still half asleep. I walked into the bathroom and looking down I saw a very large wolf spider run across the floor right in front of my feet.

Woke me up.

The thing was probably 4 or 5-inches long.

We killed it real good.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2005, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
We killed it real good.

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon

??? You're sad?

How about this? Next time I come across a really frighteningly large spider, I'll keep it alive and scoop it in an envelope and mail it to you for proper care. PM me your address. K, Thanks.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2005, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by RAzaRazor
??? You're sad?

How about this? Next time I come across a really frighteningly large spider, I'll keep it alive and scoop it in an envelope and mail it to you for proper care. PM me your address. K, Thanks.
don't be scared, be human and let it back outside. sheesh.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 01:53 PM

A few weeks back, I had just gotten to work at around 6:30am, still half asleep. I walked into the bathroom and looking down I saw a very large wolf spider run across the floor right in front of my feet.

Woke me up.

We killed it real good.
The same thing happened to my roommate a few week back... huge wolf spire trapped in the tub... scared the hell out of him!

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp
don't be scared, be human and let it back outside. sheesh.
Eh. The only spiders I ever come across are Hobo Spiders which are poisonous. They get smashed quickly with a shoe. I'm not going to kindly shuffle it back outside because it will just come back knocked up by some other spider and leave 1000 eggs somewhere.

(The Hobo is the western state's variant of the Brown Recluse. Nasty little shits.)

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2005, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by RAzaRazor
Eh. The only spiders I ever come across are Hobo Spiders which are poisonous. They get smashed quickly with a shoe. I'm not going to kindly shuffle it back outside because it will just come back knocked up by some other spider and leave 1000 eggs somewhere.

(The Hobo is the western state's variant of the Brown Recluse. Nasty little shits.)
ok you get a pass this time

btw that does look like a wolf spider. you can tell it's one is by the way they move, they are fast.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 03:01 PM

Woke me up.

We killed it real good.
The same thing happened to my roommate a few week back... huge wolf spider ttrapped in the tub... scared the hell out of him!

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 03:28 PM

The same thing happened to Tyler McAdam's roommate a few week back... huge wolf spider ttrapped in the tub... scared the hell out of him!

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 03:51 PM

You know what? I'm going to clean my room this weekend and come back with a picture of 20 brown recluses in my hand and I'll let you guys freak out over them. They are pretty much everywhere around my house.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 04:18 PM

If it weren't for spiders, Praying mantis, birds and Bats you'd be hip deep in bugs! Spiders like the Wolf Spider eat the crickets and other ground crawling bugs. Keep killing Spiders and end up with a ton of bugs in your house! Let them stay and they will have eaten the rest of teh bugs by December and die themselves.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 04:21 PM

Wow. It is impossible for me to imagine living in an area where spiders are common. In all seriousness: I envy you guys who can live there. If I see a spider larger than 1 or 2 cm, I start crying. I wake up one time multiple times a year due to some nasty spider-hunting-me-dream, wet as if I swam in water. It really makes my life complicated, since I can't go into some houses at night where the entrance is not illuminated. I can't go in there. I hate this, but I am in fear of facing this issue.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
Wow. It is impossible for me to imagine living in an area where spiders are common. In all seriousness: I envy you guys who can live there. If I see a spider larger than 1 or 2 cm, I start crying. I wake up one time multiple times a year due to some nasty spider-hunting-me-dream, wet as if I swam in water. It really makes my life complicated, since I can't go into some houses at night where the entrance is not illuminated. I can't go in there. I hate this, but I am in fear of facing this issue.
You would have loved my tarantula.

^ (Not actually my tarantula. Had her when I was a kid, and never took a photo of her.)

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 05:08 PM

Did it ever bite you?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2005, 05:14 PM

No, she was very docile, actually. Unless you happened to be a cricket.

I picked her up all the time and let her sit in my hand, similar to the way the one in the photo is being held.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 05:22 PM

I Say Ring Match Between Your Pet And The Wolf Spider!!!

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2005, 07:10 PM

check out this wolf spider pic:

(taken in japan and not by me.)

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 07:24 PM

OMFG. This creeps me out. Really.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
If it weren't for spiders, Praying mantis, birds and Bats you'd be hip deep in bugs! Spiders like the Wolf Spider eat the crickets and other ground crawling bugs. Keep killing Spiders and end up with a ton of bugs in your house! Let them stay and they will have eaten the rest of teh bugs by December and die themselves.
I don't buy this argument at face value. The higher up the food chain you go, the generally larger and more dangerous to humans the creatures become. I'd much rather have crickets than black widow spiders, even if the crickets were in larger numbers. If my apartment had a rat problem, my solution wouldn't be to keep african crocodiles around. Of course, if the spiders aren't hazardous, it might be OK, but it shouldn't be automatic.

While I'm on the topic, twice in the past couple months I have woken up to a fairly large spider trapped in my tub. I am not irrationally afraid of spiders but it always gives me a startle. The problem is, every time I find a spider, it's bigger than the last one I found. The most recent one was 1.5-2 inches long including the legs, and its body was about 5/8 in long and 3/8 in wide. That's a pretty ****ing big spider to wake up to! I considered killing it but decided not to. Besides, that's getting to the size where it's no longer a simple step-on-it procedure. This thing would have made a big mess and it was easier to scoop it up and toss it outside than to kill it and then clean up. I really wanted to take a picture of it but I have no camera. I have tried to identify them based on pictures on the internet and I think they are non-poisonous but I am not sure. All the ones I've caught can run really fast (in one case, alarmingly fast, like a face-hugger from Aliens) so they fit the description of the wolf spider.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob
You know what? I'm going to clean my room this weekend and come back with a picture of 20 brown recluses in my hand and I'll let you guys freak out over them. They are pretty much everywhere around my house.
Brown recluse bites are dangerous. I would have them exterminated if I knew there were poisonous spiders living in my house.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2005, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fyre4ce
The higher up the food chain you go, the generally larger and more dangerous to humans the creatures become.
where is *that* written? here is the food chain:

some large and dangerous animals on the top tier there

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 11:38 PM

I hate spiders.

I'll kill the mother fuxers if there gunna come in my house. They'd kill me if I went in their house.

I'll leave them alone if they're outside where they're meant to be, but if they're in my house, I kill them.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 24, 2005, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Kino
I have noticed a lot of bug threads lately. shoot, even tooki had a bug he wanted tagged. well i guess ill take a shot at it.

this guy is easily the size of a half dollar coin. Pretty scary critter. If i am not mistaken they make those funnel webs.

thank you,
That's a heinous ****ing monster, that's what that is. If I found that thing in my house, I would shoot it.

ThinkInsane don't dig spiders! *shudders*

You should have seen the results when I saw a camel spider.
Nemo me impune lacesset

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2005, 12:51 AM

Thursday another giant dragonfly attacked my students in class. Buzzes them for a while. Maybe I should collect spider to build giant webs around the school to keep the dragonflys out.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2005, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fyre4ce
Brown recluse bites are dangerous. I would have them exterminated if I knew there were poisonous spiders living in my house.
Because of where I live, you can't really exterminate them. They'll just come back. Anyways, they're not as dangerous as people make them out to be if you're healthy. A healthy average adult may not even notice getting bit.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2005, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob
Because of where I live, you can't really exterminate them. They'll just come back. Anyways, they're not as dangerous as people make them out to be if you're healthy. A healthy average adult may not even notice getting bit.
Move.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules