Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 2)
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2006, 12:31 PM

3rd? That's subjective. The spot for 2nd place in sales bounced back and forth between MS and Nintendo more than a few times. And the installed base break down I've seen is 66/17/17.

But I guess if you're that second 17, you're 3rd.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Rumor
May 11, 2006, 12:32 PM

From the looks of it, Sony will be losing a giant chunk of thier market share. MS could become the leader, and Nintendo not far behind. I'll probably go with the Revolution first for two reasons: cost and retro games. Then a 360 when the price drops a little. The only game right now that Sony has that I want to play is MGS.

Edit: The Revolution is predicted to be between $100 - $200.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 11, 2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Unlike XBOX and PS2 if you want to play older N64, NES and SNES games you need to repurchase them.

Say it aint so!! One of the large draws to the system was that you could download and play the old games... for free! At least that is what many of us thought they were saying.

Purchase NES games???? gimme a break!

I voted for Wii, and will get one, but this SUCKS! Who the heck is going to pay for NES or SNES games?? I would love to play Super Mario Bros and Uniracers, but I wouldn't be willing to pay for them again. Dang. That is depressing.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 12:35 PM

Hey Dumb dumb. you back again and calling me a fanboy? How does my sony bashing make me a fanboy dumb dumb?
If anyone in this forum can find this "Sony bashing" I'd like to know. The most I've seen from you is a weak "me too" experiment of disappointment in the Sony press conference after everyone else said how lame it was.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy
Say it aint so!! One of the large draws to the system was that you could download and play the old games... for free! At least that is what many of us thought they were saying.

Purchase NES games???? gimme a break!

I voted for Wii, and will get one, but this SUCKS! Who the heck is going to pay for NES or SNES games?? I would love to play Super Mario Bros and Uniracers, but I wouldn't be willing to pay for them again. Dang. That is depressing.
I'd assume they're selling them for 99 cents a piece or something, with newer games costing more. I'd probably send in my n64 carts for getting Wii versions.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Rumor
May 11, 2006, 12:41 PM

Nintendo is good at what they do: making fun games for all ages. They've taken me by surpise so far. I'll really find out when thier console is released.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 12:45 PM

Some famous Nintendo lines:

People don't want to wait for games to load off CD's. Carts are better. (Later admited carts were a mistake with the N64)

People don't want to watch DVD's on their systems. (They later admitted not putting a DVD player in the Cube was a mistake)

People don't want to play games online. Now playing catchup along with Sony to counter Xbox live which is hugely popular.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 01:09 PM

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 11, 2006, 01:32 PM

Anyone have another link to that 360 game video? Why do all youtube videos suck so bad?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 11, 2006, 01:37 PM

It's good to see Nintendo back on the top for the list of what system people will be buying. It's been a while. Maybe this will bring back in the third party creators.

And this line by Nintendo is true: "People don't want to wait for games to load off CD's. Carts are better." I hate waiting for stupid disks to load; carts are way better in that aspect. If they only weren't so expensive and bulky...

And I don't want to watch DVDs on my system, so that line is pretty true for me.

The online thing though... well two out of three aint bad right?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by goMac

The quality is too poor to make anything of it.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy
Carts are better." I hate waiting for stupid disks to load; carts are way better in that aspect. If they only weren't so expensive and bulky...
)

Of course carts are better. The thing is they aren't cheap for the end user or developer. It also slows down the development process.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 01:46 PM

It also slows down the development process.
No it doesn't. Everyone creates their games on computers anyway. It's been that way since the SNES. You never use carts mid development.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2006, 01:52 PM

Development is often done entirely on a different computer nowadays, as goMac says. But even before that was feasible, there was another way: you could use carts with EEPROM chips to hold the code. You would "burn" the code into the cart, then play on the real machine. Burning the code to the cart took time, of course, but no more than it takes to burn a CD nowadays.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 02:03 PM

No it doesn't. Everyone creates their games on computers anyway. It's been that way since the SNES. You never use carts mid development.
yes it does. Developers complained that they needed to use Special Nintendo Dev carts to test the games. They were expensive and instead of burning a cheap CD/DVD they had to use those monster carts.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 02:13 PM

Two polls with around 70000-80000 votes:

PS3 desire before E3

PS3 desire after E3

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Two polls with around 70000-80000 votes:

PS3 desire before E3

PS3 desire after E3

My thoughts exactly. Sony ****ed up at E3.

Angelo78
Forum Regular
May 11, 2006, 02:41 PM

I've owned the NES, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, but skipped over the Game Cube to get an Xbox (also owned a commodore 64 and Atari 2600 but won't go there in this post). This time around I'm going back to Nintendo. While I like some games for the Xbox I just don't enjoy them like I did with the Nintendo systems. I really got into the Zelda and Mario games. I don't care if they seem to be made for a younger fan base....I really like them. I'm 25 years old and found nothing spectacular about the Xbox. Sure the graphics are great but the only games I liked enough to play often were the Splinter Cell and Halo titles.

Trail blazing graphics impressed me a great deal a long time ago. One of the times that come to mind is playing Castlevania for the Super Nintendo and thinking it was amazing. I forget the level, but there is one had some cool 3d graphics and it was big in those days....at least to me and my friends. But the best part is that the game was really good too. Heck, the NES Castlevania games were fun, but hardly anything to look at. Same goes for Mega Man, Zelda, Metroid and Mario games. In the beginning they weren't that great to look at, although not bad, but the game itself kept me coming back. Don't even get me started on Dragon Warrior. Those graphics were bad even in those days, but I played it more than any of the current titles I own. That's what I miss and I hope Nintendo can bring to the table. If not I guess I'm going to have to buy another NES, Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64...lol

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 02:53 PM

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2006, 03:24 PM

But the PS3 is the best system, the facts prove it. Why is it in last place? Is it because of the price?
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
But the PS3 is the best system, the facts prove it. Why is it in last place? Is it because of the price?
Well what makes it "Best"?

Rumor
May 11, 2006, 03:45 PM

It's the best by adding a bunch of worthless (to many) crap and charging an insane price.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2006, 03:53 PM

I'm curious as to how many multiple accounts these guys are creating just to feed the poll.

There aren't 49 people on NN that CARE, let alone voted.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
It's the best by adding a bunch of worthless (to many) crap and charging an insane price.
I don't think there is anything on the PS3 that is worthless or I could do without.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
Again, the Toshiba HD-DVD player is $499.
The Pioneer Blu-Ray player will be $1800 (yes, $1800).

The PS3 will be $599.

I understand and agree that the price is high for a game console, but it's a STEAL for a game console WITH a Blu-Ray drive.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 04:06 PM

I am hearing some similar thoughts on other forums, although many are saying, yeah forget the PS3, but get the Wii... in addition to the Xbox 360 they already have been enjoying for 6 months. Two game consoles for the price of one, as it were.

The (not so) shocking part is that I see lots on the Playstation-oriented forums that are shifting away from the PS3 too.

I really wonder what's happening in Japan. I think the Xbox 360 will gain market share, but will still remain low there. Nintendo will really gain there methinks. The PS3 will still sell a lot of units, but will have nowhere near as big a share as I had originally been thinking.
LOL...

MS says buy a Wii (and an Xbox 360)

"Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3?" Peter Moore, a Microsoft vice president, said in an interview. "People are going to buy two (machines.) They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3."

"People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid," Moore told Reuters.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by starman
Again, the Toshiba HD-DVD player is $499.
The Pioneer Blu-Ray player will be $1800 (yes, $1800).

The PS3 will be $599.

I understand and agree that the price is high for a game console, but it's a STEAL for a game console WITH a Blu-Ray drive.
Yes, that is my point. It has blu-ray, 1080p, 2 teraflop system floating point (360 is 1 teraflop, wii isn't even a TFLOP), it can run linux, and all of that for $499!

Rumor
May 11, 2006, 04:17 PM

Blu-Ray means nothing to me. Neither does HD-DVD for that matter. I want a console to play games on, not be the media center of my home. Give me some fun titles and online competition.

Unless you have a hd-tv, it's worthless. Blu-Ray/HD-DVD isn't going to make the game look any better on my "normal" tv. And as much as I like games, I'm not going to spend over a grand for a good hdtv and console. I'd rather put a Jackson Racing Supercharger in my car.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 04:21 PM

LOL...

MS says buy a Wii (and an Xbox 360)

"Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3?" Peter Moore, a Microsoft vice president, said in an interview. "People are going to buy two (machines.) They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3."

"People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid," Moore told Reuters.

That is because MS doesn't see Nintendo as a threat. they already beat them last round. MS wants to crush sony and if that mean the enemy of their enemy is there friend so be it.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2006, 04:23 PM

How did MS beat Nintendo?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
How did MS beat Nintendo?
The Xbox has sold more units than the GameCube. That is the only space they are competing in.

That is until MS comes out with a handheld and then they will hate Nintendo again.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2006, 04:47 PM

Any share MS has was taken from Sony, not from Nintendo. Much of the logic behind MS siding with Nintendo comes from the fact that MS and Nintendo do not target the each other's demographic, never have and probably never will.

And you harp on repeatedly about how the GC was third in sales. Which is fact. But the difference in sales between Xbox and GC is so small that it's inconsequential. So why do you keep clinging to it?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ink
Mac Elite
May 11, 2006, 04:59 PM

Man, I love next-gen video game years. It's almost as good as a presidental election.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 11, 2006, 05:04 PM

I'm curious as to how many multiple accounts these guys are creating just to feed the poll.

What, Playstation isn't in the lead?? Someone cheated!

Sounds like someone is feeling a little bit insecure because their console of choice isn't everyone else's.

There are way more than 49 people that generally don't comment but browse the lounge. And almost everyone that plays video games (which is a large majority) has an oppinion on this.

Looks like PS3 is in last according to the poll right now. That's quite a slippage from their PS2.

Hal06
Forum Regular
May 11, 2006, 05:10 PM

Any share MS has was taken from Sony, not from Nintendo. Much of the logic behind MS siding with Nintendo comes from the fact that MS and Nintendo do not target the each other's demographic, never have and probably never will.
Seconded, let's see the kind of Bomberman each console got…

here is Bombermanland for Wii, classic friendly & cool Bomberman look:

here is Bomberman for xbox360, heavy and scary:

I guess all they share is a name…

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2006, 05:18 PM

Comparison of the consoles. ....PS3...drool...

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 05:21 PM

Why would that be the case? I voted once. I have one account. I suppose if it really mattered you could have an admin do a check by ip.

Do you think I would actually care enough to create multiple accounts to vote on this?

starman
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2006, 05:58 PM

Why would that be the case? I voted once. I have one account. I suppose if it really mattered you could have an admin do a check by ip.

Do you think I would actually care enough to create multiple accounts to vote on this?
As self-admitted fanboys, yes.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 06:19 PM

As self-admitted fanboys, yes.
You're right. You caught me. I've spent the last few days registering 30 accounts and skewing the poll.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 11, 2006, 09:43 PM

I always thought I wanted a PS3. A few weeks ago, I got the 360 for my birthday, and it's awesome. I was still considering eventually purchasing a PS3 when the price drops, mainly for GTA 4. I just saw the announcement that it's going to be released on the 360 and PS3 at the same time, which makes me wonder what the reasons for a PS3 will be till they get much cheaper and can be used as a Blu-ray player as well as a console.
The only reason Wii seems interesting is to be able to play the oolder games. If it's cheap I might pick up one of those and forget about the PS3.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2006, 11:16 PM

BTW, PS3 is backwards compatable with all previous games and it will probably enhance the quality of it too, like how the PS2 did with PS games.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2006, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
BTW, PS3 is backwards compatable with all previous games and it will probably enhance the quality of it too, like how the PS2 did with PS games.
I'm not holding my breath for full backwards compatibility. Sony is going to need it if they expect to sell a decent amount of units though.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2006, 12:42 AM

Goldeneye, San Francisco Rush, StarFox64, Turok... God I miss my 64.
I just nearly drowned in nostalgia....*gurgle*

Goldeneye - the game that literally took over my N64. There would be no Halo without Goldeneye.

Hal06
Forum Regular
May 12, 2006, 06:42 AM

Tech Comparison of the consoles.
that is more fair… anyway, is tech what makes them no more time cool, huh?

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 12, 2006, 07:15 AM

I voted Wii and 360, as an either/or. I have a PS2 at the moment, but £350 or £420 (roughly) is too much for PS3. The PS2 I have is a silver one (original, not slim), I bought it soon after it came out, whenever that was. Its been great, and still is.

I've held off the 360 for a few reasons, first, its MS, and I have a Mac, which automatically makes MS evil . Apart from PGR 3, the only thing that really made me take notice of the 360 is the Live Arcade games. Since the E3 show, with the new Live games, GTA 4 on the way, and a few other things, I've been considering the dark side, even if it is a game console.

The Wii looks fun, and different. No it isn't PS3/360 level graphics, but thats not the point of it. It will be cheaper than the others, and different. By the way, I understood that Goldeneye wouldn't be on Virtual Console, because it was a Rare game, and Rare is now part of MS, is that right?

A quick question... How good is the connectivity between the 360 and a Mac, as far as the media hub business goes?? (or connection to Windows through Boot Camp, anyone got that going?)

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2006, 09:14 AM

The Xbox has sold more units than the GameCube. That is the only space they are competing in.
Only in the US. In every other market, Microsoft is in third, usually by an impressive margin.

I suppose that says something rather... err... telling about the US market.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Dakar
Professional Poster
May 12, 2006, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Only in the US. In every other market, Microsoft is in third, usually by an impressive margin.

I suppose that says something rather... err... telling about the US market.
We like our consoles as ugly as our domestic cars?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2006, 10:35 AM

I bought my xbox 360 last night with need for speed, fifa, fight night and nhl2k6. I'm really impressed with it. The graphics on my 55" tv are amazing, especially need for speed.

It's nothing revolutionary, technically it's a glorified xbox with much better graphics and a really comfortable controller. But you know what, in my opinion, there will always be a place for the "regular" controllers and "regular" games, but the Wii will fit into video games nicely with it's non-"regular" controllers and non-"regular" games. I'll still be buying one, but I am in love with the 360.

I have one question though. Is there a way to queue stuff to download from the xbox live marketplace. I downloaded the top spin 2 demo last night and my xbox is busy downloading the amped 3 demo now. Is there a way I can set it to download 5 things while I'm away at work?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2006, 11:07 AM

No, and it's one of the more frustrating things about downloading stuff. Not only do you get super slow download speeds, but you can only download one thing at a time, AND you can't do anything while your file is downloading.

They need to do an update that allows you to select the files you want o download, and then have the Xbox download those in the background... even when you are playing games. (as long as you aren't online).

I love having the ability to download things, but the actual implementation is a little half-assed.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2006, 11:12 AM

Another "Meh" impression of the Wii's controls:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/12/wi...e3-experience/

So far none of the reviews of the controller or games have been glowing. In fact there have been much more positive reviews of the games for the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Everyone is just hopeful at this point but not that excited or blown away.

No you cannot judge how cool it is just by watching videos.

Forum Links
Forum Rules