Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > mac os x server DNS help

mac os x server DNS help
someone
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2007, 07:10 AM

Hi,

I'm having a lot of trouble with BIND and DNS on 10.4 Server. I want to configure each DHCP client to look at my server (192.168.1.1) for DNS. That part's working. Then I want the server to route DNS queries to a list of DNS servers (specifically, openDNS). How do I configure this? Do I have to create a forward zone?

thanks,
someone who loves Macs

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 24, 2007, 07:23 AM

First off, you are aware that there's a bug in the DNS service in Server 10.4 after Security Update 2007-005 (v1.0), right? Read all about it here.

After ensuring that this isn't impacting you, I think adding a forwarder in Bind should be the way to go. If I understand the function correctly, that should do what you're looking for. Of course check out the man page for Bind to make sure I haven't misread something here...it's awful early here!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

someone  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2007, 07:34 AM

Hey,

Thanks so much for the reply.

Yes, I am aware of the bug -- that level of nonfunctionality, if you will, is inexcusable. I've been wrestling with server admin for hours now (it's 4:30 AM), and it's some of the worst Apple software I've used. Don't even touch Gateway Assistant.

Anyway, the forwarders do seem to work -- thanks again for the tip. Interestingly, you COULD set up forwarding zones from 10.3 server... Progress, indeed....
someone who loves Macs

Forum Links
Forum Rules