Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Adding a Linksys WRE54G: Can it be hard-wired?

Adding a Linksys WRE54G: Can it be hard-wired?
Shamuuu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2008, 09:28 PM

Hey there,
I'd like to add a Linksys WRE54G to my home network.

My wireless router is on my second floor (where the bedrooms and offices are), and my possible WRE54G would be on my first floor... because I want to enable wireless access to my outdoor patio. The problem is that the reception from the second floor to the first floor is usually bad for my other wireless devices... so, the WRE54G might nott pick up the wireless signal from the second floor most of the time (meaning it then couldn't repeat the signal to my outdoor patio).

What I'd like to know, since I have an ethernet jack on my first floor right by where I placed the WRE54G, is if the WRE54g v2 (which has an ethernet jack) can simply rely on the hard-wired ethernet cable for picking up the signal to repeat.

From what I can read... it seems that the WRE54G only uses its ethernet jack for setup... so does it have to rely on a wireless signal? I'd love for it to be able to repeat the wireless signal it grabs from the hard-wired ethernet cable.

But, I don't know if that's how repeaters work... or maybe should I look at another product that I can plug a ethernet cable into, to send my signal farther?

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules