Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > any motorcycle riders? Need some advice

any motorcycle riders? Need some advice
MM-o4
Senior User
Oct 25, 2004, 12:02 AM

Hi everyone.
I have been thinking really seriously about selling my car to get a bike. I have ridden a off road bike but not a road bike.

Any tips or things I really need to consider when making this move? I want to be as informed as possible.

I understand the danger and that it will be a steep learning curve but I also think it would be a ish load of fun

Any info would be great, but no gory stories would be appreciated.

Thanks

MM-o4

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2004, 12:21 AM

heads up for gravel. and take turns SLLLLOOOOOWWWW at first, its not anything like you think it should be.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2004, 12:22 AM

When you say road bike are thinking sport bike or cruiser? I can only speak on sport bikes. If you have never ridden a sport bike don't try to get a literbike(1000cc) or a 750. Start out with a nice 600. Please take a riding course. It with lower your insurance and you will be safer. Don't ride down the center of roads, that's where the most oil from cars is. Get accustom to the power because if you don't you are going end up popping wheelies by mistake and scaring the hell out of yourself or just plain busting your ass. And wear safety gear!

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 25, 2004, 12:23 AM

And whatever you do, don't pop wheelies out of stop lights down a 6 lane road trying to act cool.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
And whatever you do, don't pop wheelies out of stop lights down a 6 lane road trying to act cool.

Better yet, don't pop wheelies going 70-75 MPH on Interstate 95. And yes, I saw some IDIOTS do this.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 25, 2004, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
Better yet, don't pop wheelies going 70-75 MPH on Interstate 95. And yes, I saw some IDIOTS do this.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 12:27 AM

My friend was speeding on a highway in Quebeq. He was behind a truck with bales on it (fiberglass). One flew off, he hit it and went flying off the bike, driver of the truck notices and jams the brakes, guy slides all the way under the truck on his hands (he wasn't wearing gloves or a helmet at the time).

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2004, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:

No, see, that comes later. LOL

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 25, 2004, 12:28 AM

http://www.wbir.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=20568

The body of a white male in his mid-twenties was found along I-40 West, under the Western Avenue overpass, early Sunday morning. Through preliminary investigations, the Knoxville Police Department determined that the subject was involved in a motorcycle accident.

The accident occurred on Western Avenue at approximately 1:20 a.m. Sunday morning. The subject was driving a silver Honda motorcycle. Early investigation has suggested that the motorcycle left the road and entered the sidewalk; which in turn ejected the driver from his motorcycle onto I-40.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2004, 12:46 AM

And another thing don't buy a Katana because everyone will call you a girl(including the girls).

MM-o4  (op)
Senior User
Oct 25, 2004, 01:06 AM

cool. thanks for the feed back.

I'm in Australia and you legally have to have 250cc or lower as a learner.

I'm kinda excited I have to admit But I definitly will do extra course then I have to do but law just so I don't kill myself.

Can anyone recommend a good 250cc bike? I like the sport look. Thinking the Kawasaki ZZ-R250.

MM-o4
( Last edited by MM-o4; Oct 25, 2004 at 01:33 AM. )

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2004, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by MM-o4:

I'm kinda excited I have to admit But I definitly will do extra course then I have to do but law just so I don't kill myself.

Can anyone recommend a good 2500cc bike? I like the sport look. Thinking the Kawasaki ZZ-R250.

MM-o4
Well, that should be easy to learn on then. I haven't been on anything smaller than a 500, which was easy to ride, so I'm assuming the 250 will be a breeze but don't get cocky.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 08:16 AM

Make sure that you check on the laws for obtaining your motorcycle license. I am pretty sure, here in Texas, that you must have the license before you pick up your bike. I may be wrong, and if I am please show a link, but just something to think about.

If I could get a bike, I would go for the KLR650. Sure it is a dual sport, but that is twice the fun to have!

nerd
Senior User
Oct 25, 2004, 08:33 AM

Get the book Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code. Very good book, he even as a video that's a little 80's but it gets the point across. Also look into some local track days if you guys have a race track near by.

Brad

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2004, 09:34 PM

Buy good equipment. Don't EVER ride without gloves, they can fix broken bones, they can't regrow fingers. Buy decent boots, I'm partial to motorcross boots. Get a helmet that fits tight (it will loosen up), fit matters, fancy colours do not.

Get training. Get more training. Take a track school, take an advanced road riding class, take an off road class.

Ride. A lot.

After a few years, you'll have a better idea of what you want to learn next.

Everyone in a car is trying to kill you. Remember that every time you put on a helmet. Not randomly, they are deliberately going to try and kill you. This thought may help keep you alive.

Don't wear shorts. It may be hot, you may look cool, but you'll have no skin left if you ever come off. Leathers are the best, (good quality ones anyway) but there are modern alternatives that may be cooler if you ride somewhere hot.

If you will be riding anywhere cold, I can offer a load more advice on that (ex London courier)

Enjoy it.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
Everyone in a car is trying to kill you. Remember that every time you put on a helmet. Not randomly, they are deliberately going to try and kill you. This thought may help keep you alive.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
I think that was great advise... You obviously don't get his point, defensive driving on a bike is a must! The bike always loses.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by euchomai:
I think that was great advise... You obviously don't get his point, defensive driving on a bike is a must! The bike always loses.
no i got his point, be safe, but not every single driver on the road is going to go out of their way to run you over.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 10:45 PM

no i got his point, be safe, but not every single driver on the road is going to go out of their way to run you over.
Of course they aren't, you still are not getting the point. You need to ACT as if they are going to do that, it's kinda hard to pick out which driver isn't paying attention at the second you are passing them. He said in his original quote "this thought may help keep you alive". Think that way and your chances of living through bike riding are improved.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 10:52 PM

Of course they aren't, you still are not getting the point. You need to ACT as if they are going to do that, it's kinda hard to pick out which driver isn't paying attention at the second you are passing them. He said in his original quote "this thought may help keep you alive". Think that way and your chances of living through bike riding are improved.
why the hell would someone want to get on a bike to have fun only to be thinking that someone is going to run over you? sounds just about as fun as living in a dictatorship, always having to look over your shoulder incase someone wants go kill you. doesn't sound like fun to me.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 10:57 PM

why the hell would someone want to get on a bike to have fun only to be thinking that someone is going to run over you? sounds just about as fun as living in a dictatorship, always having to look over your shoulder incase someone wants go kill you. doesn't sound like fun to me.
okay, you are right, I am wrong... If you feel better now, I'm glad for you. (on a side note, living is pretty fun too)

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 01:14 AM

okay, you are right, I am wrong... If you feel better now, I'm glad for you. (on a side note, living is pretty fun too)
i wasn't trying to prove myself right, i just don't get why you would purposely want to feel scared everyday.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 01:19 AM

www.beginnerbikes.com is a good place to start. take a rider course, whatever they are called in your part of the world.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
Buy good equipment. Don't EVER ride without gloves, they can fix broken bones, they can't regrow fingers. Buy decent boots, I'm partial to motorcross boots. Get a helmet that fits tight (it will loosen up), fit matters, fancy colours do not.

Get training. Get more training. Take a track school, take an advanced road riding class, take an off road class.

Ride. A lot.

After a few years, you'll have a better idea of what you want to learn next.

Don't wear shorts. It may be hot, you may look cool, but you'll have no skin left if you ever come off. Leathers are the best, (good quality ones anyway) but there are modern alternatives that may be cooler if you ride somewhere hot.

If you will be riding anywhere cold, I can offer a load more advice on that (ex London courier)

Enjoy it.

J.
I agree completely. Cars are the enemy. Ride defensively, and always leave yourself an 'out'. Never follow close behind pickups, or any other vehicle with an open bed. Assume that there is *somethimg* in that pickup bed that is going to fly out and smoke you. Never follow a Vehicle that you can't see thru or around, you need to know what traffic is doing ahead of you.

Wear: Helmet, gloves, jacket, long pants, boots/ankle high shoes. Only leave the skin exposed that you want to replace at the hospital. Spend money on quality gear. If your budget is $4000, don't spend $4000 on your bike. Spend $1000 on gear and $3000 on your bike.

And keep the rubber side down.

Nobody is listing their rides!
2000 CBR 929 (Red & White)
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 11:32 AM

I've been a biker for years... Owned loads fo nikes from BSA Goldstars to Suzuki GSX-R 1000's...

My advice: Take a lot of care, and treat everyone in their cars as a lunatic and you will be fine.

However, something to think about;

It takes a **lot** of dedication to be an 'all year round' biker and give up your car... regardless of what anyone says, it is not fun riding in the wind and rain in mid November, water seeping down the back of your neck and trying to force it's way over the top of your boots... These days I just don't do it, and have my bikes for fun only...

Living without your car is a big commitment.

Shopping?
Want to out with friends?
Need to carry anything more than wallet and phone?
Wear a suit to work?

All hassle.

If you decide to do it... Good luck, and...!

1. Buy the best quality leathers you can. (Dianese, Spidi etc etc Brand names are best imho)

2. Only buy the best lid you can afford, and make sure it fits correctly... tighter the better. (I swear by my Mick Doohan rep Arai... showing my age!)

3. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear gloves... (I've seen what happens... best not to ask)

4. Have fun!!

Peace out,

TPC

**Edit**

Current ride - Triumph Speed Four, sold my GSX-R 1000. (Dreaming of a Vincent Black Shadow)

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 08:13 PM

i wasn't trying to prove myself right, i just don't get why you would purposely want to feel scared everyday.
I don't feel scared when I take a bike out, but every time I put on my helmet, I consiously think of the near misses, the hit, and the lost friends. It's about a second's worth of my time as I buckle the strap, I see the faces of those taken from me over 25 years on bikes, and the sounds and feelings of half a ton of steel hitting my foot at 80 miles an hour.

To me, I don't see a difference between "sorry mate, I didn't see you" and "oi, mate, you're ****ing dead!" Not looking or not paying attention is just as bad as deliberately aiming at you. A car is just as deadly as a gun, but people rarely give cars the respect they're due. Drivers are talking on the phone, discussing last night's game, thinking about what they'd like to do to that blond in the honda over there. They're not looking to see if there's anyone around them when they change lanes.

I assume that any car around me has an insane lunatic at the wheel, it's kept me alive a long time. I have around half a million miles on bikes (100,000 in a single year as a courier), I've seen most types of accidents and stupidity. You are incredibly vulnerable, and people are not going to be looking out for you.

When enough people pull straight out at you, forcing you to swerve, when yet another pickup changes lane into the space you're already occupying, when a few more phone users weave from lane to lane clipping you in the process, when another redneck looks straight at you and still pulls across you because he hasn't thought about how soon to change lanes and hell, you're smaller than him so you'll have to move, you'll start to think that they're deliberately trying to kill you. Assume this and it might help keep you upright.

Scared, no: Cautious yes. Having fun? You'd better believe it.

J.

**Edit**

Recently moved to Borneo and still missing my FZR1000. Looking for a small trials bike, but secretly harbouring the urge for an R1200GS or a big Cagiva.
( Last edited by Freeflyer; Oct 26, 2004 at 08:19 PM. )
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by MM-o4:

That's a pretty cool policy. Seems like it would be nice over here... although with a bike you're mostly just endangering yourself... It would be nice if 16 yo high school kids weren't allowed to fly around in 2 ton SUVs.

Back on topic I have a few friends who are serious bikers (one guy I work with just got hit by a suburban today) and from what I hear, the points that The Placid Casual makes are all good. But with a bike you really have to pay attention to everything, it's your arse on the line. Not good to have as your only transportation if you daydream or get really angry at times or don't get enough sleep probably.

~BS

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 12:10 AM

I've been riding motorcycles for 5 years and dirt bikes since gr 1. Here's some pointers:

1) Always assume the worst. Assume that car doesn't see you, that dog will run onto the road, there's a slow moving vehicle at the bottom of the hill and there are cows at the top of that hill (from experience). Always always always. If you want to stay alive that is. Cars are not looking for a motorcycle, they are looking for cars and trucks.

2) Remember that you can stop in half the distance of a car. Before you grab those front brakes make sure the car behind you won't rear end you.

3) When driving at night, watch out for critters crossing the road. I had no idea how many animals were on and around the road until I started riding. You'll see little glowing eyes on the road and in the ditch that you'd never see in a vehicle. If you do see an animal on the road, you'll often be forced into a split second decisions: swerve or hit. This may sound outrageous, but my instructor from a motorcycle course claims she sliced through a full grown male german shepherd with her sportbike. If you can't safely swerve, gear down and blast through/over the animal on the road. This is not fun but definitely better than laying it down and crashing into the ditch.

4) Short trips still means denim and leather. Gloves included. The way I picture road rash is like rubbing a grape over sandpaper. Once the skin's gone you just grind through the mush!

5) If you'll be driving in the city, take a course. The driver's in London, ON are so bad I could hardly make it to my course without someone pulling out in front of me. You'll learn how to keep stupid cars out of your lane and other useful stuff. Or just to stay on those country roads.

That's all I can think of. There were other good points above like knowing which part of the lane to ride in. You'll be amazed at how focused you are on the bike. You'll never have the same focus in a car.

Brad

edit: post may be filled with spelling errors. I'm so sleepy, stupid baseball!

MM-o4  (op)
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 02:45 AM

Thanks for the replys everyone. We have good people here at macnn

I will take all info/tips in mind when I go to my learners test in 3 weeks. Can't wait!

Thanks again everyone who posted

MM-o4

Forum Links
Forum Rules