Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > WoW Closed Beta Ending -- Stress Test Beginning!

WoW Closed Beta Ending -- Stress Test Beginning! (Page 2)
MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2004, 10:00 PM

I just hope they disable cmd-q for the release. They chose to use cmd (instead of ctrl) as the right click modifier... and with the wsad movement I end up hitting the not-so-innocent combination of cmd-q often enough that it's extremely annoying.

~BS

Turias
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2004, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by MrBS:
I just hope they disable cmd-q for the release. They chose to use cmd (instead of ctrl) as the right click modifier... and with the wsad movement I end up hitting the not-so-innocent combination of cmd-q often enough that it's extremely annoying.

~BS
Wow, I know very few gamers who use a 1-button mouse.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2004, 08:18 AM

I was playing on my powerbook with the trackpad and keyboard. Very handy. Regardless of how often it would come up, it's a pretty crappy 'feature'. And relaunching the game doesn't get back in, you need to wait for your guy to time out.

Going to buy a mouse though, I'd like one with a whole lotta buttons. Tried a buddy's logitech mouse with two buttons for the thumb and 3 along the middle line (along with the mouse wheel), but WoW wouldn't let me assign those 3 buttons to keys. Any suggestions? What's the best gaming mouse?

~BS

Arkham_c  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by MrBS:
I actually really like the command-q existing in the game. When I want to log off for the night, and I am not in an inn, command-q is the only way to quit without waiting.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2004, 02:20 PM

re: logitech mouse

I have that mouse, and can assign things to the buttons. However, this is because I have many buttons set to certain keystrokes. However, I think USB overdrive will allow you to set them to generic MOUSE 4 and MOUSE 5 inputs, et cetera. The included logitech drivers only allow you to set MOUSE 1 through MOUSE 3.

I haven't looked into USB overdrive... I think I will do that presently. I don't know if it contains functionality to change my settings depending on active app.

re: quit without waiting

I usually hit command-m while I wait my 20 seconds. it lets me use the rest of my computer. Since I check my email before going to bed, having to wait 20 seconds to sleep my computer after quitting playing is no biggie.

redJag
Senior User
Nov 18, 2004, 06:40 PM

When you choose exit click exit now and it quits right away.. your guy still sits there until you time out but the game quits right away.
Travis Sanderson

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2004, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Turnpike:
re: logitech mouse

I have that mouse, and can assign things to the buttons. However, this is because I have many buttons set to certain keystrokes. However, I think USB overdrive will allow you to set them to generic MOUSE 4 and MOUSE 5 inputs, et cetera. The included logitech drivers only allow you to set MOUSE 1 through MOUSE 3.

I haven't looked into USB overdrive... I think I will do that presently. I don't know if it contains functionality to change my settings depending on active app.
USB Overdrive lets you set different mouse button actions for different applications. So you could go the MOUSE 4, MOUSE 5 route, or you can set different key strokes to the buttons. I think the keystroke method is preferable, since it will be easier to play when the mouse isn't there. My biggest problem with using the mouse buttons in WoW or other games is Expos�. I have the front center button set to all windows and the mouse wheel click set to show desktop. These are set in USB Overdrive to work system wide.

-matt

Forum Links
Forum Rules