Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Did apple can the iApps with Leopard?

Did apple can the iApps with Leopard?
rgkgraphix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 06:53 PM

So I did a clean install of Leopard today, and I couldn't find iPhoto, or iMovie or iDVD for that matter. Did apple can those in 10.5 or am I missing something?

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 06:57 PM

OS X has never included iWork (at least not in many years). They come free on new Macs, but not with new OS X disks. To install them, use the restore disk that came with your Mac - there should be a way to just install iLife.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2007, 06:59 PM

You're missing something.

iLife '08 isn't a part of Mac OS X. It's a separate application suite. While both are merged on the Recovery DVDs that ship with Macs you won't find it on any Mac OS X Retail DVD.

If you want iLife on Mac OS X Leopard you need to pop-in your Mac OS X Install Disc 1 (the one that originally came with your Mac), launch the "Optional Installs" (or something like that) installer and select the iLife applications of your choice. It might propt you to pop-in Mac OS X Install Disc 2 during the process.

Otherwise you need to acquire a retail copy of iLife '08, sold separately.

rgkgraphix  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 07:01 PM

ahhh interesting, I always thought they were part of the OS, but it's a new mac thing. Thanks!

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Oct 27, 2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by rgkgraphix View Post
ahhh interesting, I always thought they were part of the OS, but it's a new mac thing. Thanks!
I'm glad I found this thread--I was wondering if the new iPhoto was going to come with Leopard.

OT--what's the difference between Windows "bundled apps are bloatware" vs Apple "bundled apps are what users want!" One Apple ads touts the lack of bloatware as a feature, but since iPhoto, GarageBand, etc. aren't part of the OS, why are they not "bloatware?" I think they are, esp. since GarageBand can take up more space than the OS itself!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2007, 07:46 PM

The difference is you can just drag them to the trash on a Mac if you don't want them. On a PC they hang on for dear life!

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
I'm glad I found this thread--I was wondering if the new iPhoto was going to come with Leopard.

OT--what's the difference between Windows "bundled apps are bloatware" vs Apple "bundled apps are what users want!" One Apple ads touts the lack of bloatware as a feature, but since iPhoto, GarageBand, etc. aren't part of the OS, why are they not "bloatware?" I think they are, esp. since GarageBand can take up more space than the OS itself!
How you can call high quality and nagware/spyware-free software like the iLife '08 applications bloatware is completely beyond me.

Next to that you can choose to skip them when installing Mac OS X using the recovery DVDs. If you want to have them on your Mac is entirely up to you, and you alone.

wobbly
Oct 27, 2007, 08:12 PM

How about if my original install discs bundled with ibook were 10.3.x,
since then I've upgraded to 10.4.x.

If I want to do a clean install with leopard and then install those from my 10.3.x ibook specific disks will that work using what was described above?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 08:27 PM

I don't think so. What version of iLife was that? '04? I doubt it's compatible with Leopard
Linkinus is king.

wobbly
Oct 27, 2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
I don't think so. What version of iLife was that? '04? I doubt it's compatible with Leopard
my iPhoto is version 5, itunes = version 7, dvd player = v 4.6, iMovie = v 5

compatible with 10.5 or not?

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by wobbly View Post

I can tell you that iPhoto 5.0.4 is compatible. I just copied it over from my previous Tiger installation and it works fine.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2007, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by wobbly View Post

I think you're a bit confused about what applications come with iLife:

GarageBand
iDVD
iMovie
iPhoto
iWeb

iTunes & DVD Player are a part of Mac OS X. So those two will be on your computer regardless if you install iLife or not.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 07:55 AM

There are numerous FREE updates available for most of those apps listed. That doesn't necessarily mean they 'll suddenly be 100% Leopard compatible, but chances are the latest versions will run better under 10.5 than the older ones
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Ryanhdd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2007, 08:40 AM

I found what i was looking for ... i too was wondering where my iphoto and idvd and garageband went after i did a clean install.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
iTunes & DVD Player are a part of Mac OS X. So those two will be on your computer regardless if you install iLife or not.
To be precise, they are bundled with OS X, they are separate apps.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2007, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
Why wouldn't it be?

I can tell you for sure that iLife '05 works fine with Leopard - I'd be surprised if '04 didn't as well.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules