Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cool idea I had... would it work??

Cool idea I had... would it work??
cashsixT8
Banned
Aug 12, 2001, 03:48 PM

Think of this: I move to Africa, and gain citizenship there. Live there for a few years, go to school, whatever. Then, I reapply for US citizenship.

Would I become an african american? I mean, technically, I would be, right? So would I be entitled to minority status and stuff?

Just wondering, cuz that would be awesome! I'd get all the benefits of being a minority in our society!

- Ca$h

PS: Is this possible?

SpYn
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2001, 04:33 PM

another gringo wanting to be black...
i wear maroon so your blood doesn't show

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2001, 06:23 PM

Don't you have an American birth certificate?

No go my friend.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2001, 08:54 PM

That's the most creative thing I've heard in a long time.

You should consider not just Africa, but also China, Korea, Iraq and Afghanistan, and then GO FOR IT!!!

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Aug 12, 2001, 09:48 PM

Ahem.

African American also Af-ri-can--A-mer-i-can (af'ri-ken-e-mer'i-ken)
n.

A Black American of African ancestry.
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

CityGuy2003
Aug 12, 2001, 09:52 PM

i wasnt aware that you had to be a certain race to be an african american....there are many white people from south africa, zimbabwe, etc who become american citizens....that would make them african american too!

cashsixT8  (op)
Banned
Aug 13, 2001, 12:30 AM

So if you're a black person from South America and you come to the US you aren't considered an african american?

See, if they'd just throw out all the politcally correct BULL****, and call black people BLACK PEOPLE and call white people WHITE PEOPLE, then people like me (smartasses) wouldn't come up with crazy schemes like this.

- Ca$h <---100% french-irish-german-polish-euro-american

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2001, 12:58 AM

Only a white kid from the suburbs would want "all the benefits" of being an African-American.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2001, 01:00 AM

But who doesn't want to be... Afroken?

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: cpatubo ]

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2001, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by ort888:
<STRONG>Only a white kid from the suburbs would want "all the benefits" of being an African-American.</STRONG>
hahahha. well said.

Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2001, 10:47 AM

Yeah right. UNCF, Affirmative Action... who the hell WOULDN'T want that kind of stuff just because of where their ancestors are traced back to, or something ridiculously superficial like the color of their skin?
<A HREF="http://www.macnet2.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi" TARGET=_blank>
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2001, 05:27 PM

have you been drinking again ca$h?
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

cashsixT8  (op)
Banned
Aug 16, 2001, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Kozmik:
<STRONG>Yeah right. UNCF, Affirmative Action... who the hell WOULDN'T want that kind of stuff just because of where their ancestors are traced back to, or something ridiculously superficial like the color of their skin?</STRONG>
Exactly! Think about it! I could be doing a shitty job at whatever, have crappier grades, and just generally be DUMBER, and just because of the fact that I'd be a legit "african american" I'd be ahead of all you white ****ers!

That'd rule!

- Ca$h

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2001, 10:26 PM

Dude, that was totally uncool.

Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2001, 11:02 PM

I actually think Affirmative Action and the similar crap is actually more racist than not having it. So because someone has a slightly darker shade of skin it means they're inferior? It must, because otherwise they would not need the help of Affirmative Action and whatnot. So now people who are white have to score higher on SATs, have to look harder to find financial aid, have to be more qualified than minority applicants to find jobs, and we call it racial equality.

Who knew the amount of melatonin in one's skin could make them so incredibly different from someone with a different amount of melatonin in their skin? I have black hair and brown eyes. I think I should get some kind of break on college tuition or be considered over others for jobs!

Sorry if this is a somewhat incoherent rant. I do have well-formed opinions, but I don't always get them across well. I sound racist in some ways only because I'm more of an advocate than most for true racial equality, in that no one should be favored over anyone else because of something superficial like the color of their skin. I mean, think about it. How ridiculous is it to judge people by the color of their skin? That is still what's happening, only differently. MLK Jr.'s famous quote about his children living in a nation where they're judged by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin, is not what is playing out in our society. MLK Jr.'s dream has not come true, and with the pride, ignorance, and general idiocy of the majority of the society in the United States, I don't think it ever will.
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2001, 11:37 PM

I have a simpler solution Ca$h.

I went to school in Virginia which has a lot of Historically Black Colleges (HBC). The rumor was that because the % of white kids as the HBC were so low that you could get finantial aid to go to school there. Because, after all, white kids are the minority there and god knows it the duty of the Government to promote "diversity". I don't know if this is true or anyone who did this but maybe you'll be the first.

So just apply to Howard (or any of the others). What's your GPA and SAT? I don't know if you can get in

foobars
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2001, 12:03 AM

<STRONG>Who knew the amount of melatonin in one's skin could make them so incredibly different from someone with a different amount of melatonin in their skin? I have black hair and brown eyes. I think I should get some kind of break on college tuition or be considered over others for jobs!</STRONG>
The point of affirmative-action and programs like it is not to put under qualified minorities into places they don�t deserve to be. Rather, it is meant to provide opportunities to people who haven't had the benefit of being in the majority and are therefore subject to racism and other forms of xenophobia. If the standards for these people are slightly lower its because these programs are still relatively new and have not had a chance to effect the next-generation of minorities (children of the minorities benefiting). Once more people have had access to higher education and high-paying jobs their children will have the skills necessary to compete with white kids who have had the benefit of better schools and more money all along.

Kozmik makes a good point- benefits based on skin color is itself a form of racism but then again the diversity just isn't there in the higher paying jobs and upper ecilons of education. You gotta break some eggs to make an omelet.

San Acoustic
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2001, 01:29 AM

Screw it. What's the point.

[ 08-17-2001: Message edited by: San Acoustic ]

Avenir
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2001, 03:28 AM

afirmative action = 25% good intention / 75% bad result

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2001, 06:43 PM

cash you're stupid
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24

cashsixT8  (op)
Banned
Aug 19, 2001, 03:00 AM

I know you are but what am I? (this is the lamest response I could come up with, I found it suiting the equally lame response by Luther)

- Ca$h

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Aug 19, 2001, 03:38 AM

<STRONG>
Who knew the amount of melatonin in one's skin could make them so incredibly different from someone with a different amount of melatonin in their skin? I have black hair and brown eyes. I think I should get some kind of break on college tuition or be considered over others for jobs!
</STRONG>
I'm sorry, but I want to make sure we're all talking about the right thing:

it's

mel�a�nin [m�llnin ] noun
brown skin pigment:� a dark brown or black pigment that is naturally present to varying degrees in the skin, hair, eyes, fur, or feathers of people and animals as well as in plants

not

mel�a�to�nin [m�l tnin ] noun
color-changing hormone:� a hormone derived from serotonin and secreted by the pineal gland that produces changes in the skin color of vertebrates, reptiles, and amphibians and is important in regulating biorhythms

which is from...

se�ro�to�nin [s�rr tnin ] noun
neurotransmitter chemical:� a chemical derived from the amino acid tryptophan, and widely distributed in tissues. It acts as a neurotransmitter, constricts blood vessels at injury sites, and may affect emotional states. �LSD and certain antidepressants work by interfering with serotonin in the brain.

Not that cashie has much of any of this stuff.

I would love to see him walk in to Howard University and ask for an application. If he could get in there, I think he would actually learn a little about the rest of the world.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2001, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by lothar56:
<STRONG>cash you're stupid</STRONG>
No really, Cash... you are.

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 19, 2001, 04:16 AM

hehe, good catch daimoni.

when I read Kozmik's post, i looked over at my bottle of melatonin* pills and started wondering why my skin hadn't gotten any darker

*melatonin plays a role in sleep, aging, and reproduction in mammals. people basically take the pills to help them sleep. they also make your dreams pretty interesting. i recommend them.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2001, 05:16 AM

so THAT's where you get the inspiration for your graphics design

(j/k)
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2001, 11:43 AM

Sorry daimoni... too many damn things sound the same. You know what I mean though.
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

cashsixT8  (op)
Banned
Aug 19, 2001, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
<STRONG>

I'm sorry, but I want to make sure we're all talking about the right thing:

it's

mel�a�nin [m�llnin ] noun
brown skin pigment:� a dark brown or black pigment that is naturally present to varying degrees in the skin, hair, eyes, fur, or feathers of people and animals as well as in plants

not

mel�a�to�nin [m�l tnin ] noun
color-changing hormone:� a hormone derived from serotonin and secreted by the pineal gland that produces changes in the skin color of vertebrates, reptiles, and amphibians and is important in regulating biorhythms

which is from...

se�ro�to�nin [s�rr tnin ] noun
neurotransmitter chemical:� a chemical derived from the amino acid tryptophan, and widely distributed in tissues. It acts as a neurotransmitter, constricts blood vessels at injury sites, and may affect emotional states. �LSD and certain antidepressants work by interfering with serotonin in the brain.

Not that cashie has much of any of this stuff.

I would love to see him walk in to Howard University and ask for an application. If he could get in there, I think he would actually learn a little about the rest of the world.</STRONG>

Exactly my point. I could be DUMBER than you, and if I was 'african american' I'd have a much better chance at getting in. That'd be sweet. FYI: I have an ACT of 29 (blah) and I score in the 99th and 98th percentile of every subject, except grammar. So, I'm not the moron you think I am.

- Ca$h

Ruddigger
Senior User
Aug 19, 2001, 10:52 PM

I'm down as a hispanic on my birth certificate, but I'm the whitest looking mofo you'll ever meet. I guess I'm what Ca$h wants to be. White, with affirmative action on my side
Proud owner of the Original Macintruck

cashsixT8  (op)
Banned
Aug 19, 2001, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by Ruddigger:
<STRONG>I'm down as a hispanic on my birth certificate, but I'm the whitest looking mofo you'll ever meet. I guess I'm what Ca$h wants to be. White, with affirmative action on my side </STRONG>
Bastard!

Ruddigger
Senior User
Aug 20, 2001, 12:59 AM

Hehe, my sister won some scholastic award for hispanics, and she wouldn't go to the assebly to recieve it, cause she's white as a paper plate in a blizzard...
Proud owner of the Original Macintruck

Forum Links
Forum Rules