Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > To sleeve or not to sleeve

View Poll Results: Sleeve, no sleeve?
Poll Options:
Yup 42 votes (93.33%)
Nope 3 votes (6.67%)
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll
To sleeve or not to sleeve
MrCaN
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2004, 06:57 PM

Ok, that is the question. I have a brand new PB in transit, my first mac, and am wondering if I should get a sleeve for it. I was leaning towards the Radtech sleeve, but I was wondering if I really need it, who uses on and who doesnt' and why?
Mr. CaN

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 07:07 PM

i put my powerbook inside a sleeve which goes into a laptop backpack. can't be too protective of a $2,000 laptop

Konsole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 08:26 PM

Zero Halliburton Laptop Cases

I have the Z3si for my 15" which is on its way, the Z5 works for the 17"

These cases are as tough as anyone would ever need and fit the powerbooks like a glove. I got my z3si online for $170 U.S.
15" PB 1.5ghz 128vram/512ram/80gb

nick_coday
Apr 24, 2004, 08:28 PM

Yes, got a new Timbuk2 sleeve for my baby, need to protect it.
--------------------------------------
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

Nibi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 08:35 PM

Go for a sleeve. I also have a Radtech, it is stylish and fits very snug. But dont expect it to protect your Powerbook from drops or hard impacts. Its thin and is meant to protect it from superficial damage.
Well man, sometimes you just gotta race.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 09:16 PM

I simply use the sleave my Mac Al 15" came in. It's not pretty, but it's been surprizingly durable and best of all it was free. I use a Targa brief case and use the "Apple Wrap" before I strap my book in for the ride. I'm sure it's one of the reasons my book still looks brand new, even though it is used everyday. A sleave is a must.

MrCaN  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2004, 09:50 PM

Anyone here use the zeroshock from shinza.
Mr. CaN

ibulldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 11:07 PM

I've been using the Radtech Powersleeve for my 12 inch PB and I love the thing. It's perfect for moving the machine from room to room, or when in transit in my Samsonite Alum. Briefcase. I was so taken with it that I ordered the 15 inch model before I ordered my 15 inch PB.

Now it waits to be filled (hopefully, this Wednesday according to FedEx).

n_lim
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2004, 11:37 PM

I have the zeroshock and love it. Thin with still a decent amount of protection - more than just neoprene, but not so bulky as a more rigid sleeve. Very stylish as well.
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

iomatic
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 01:10 AM

Zeroshock:

http://shinza.com/product_info.php?p...6d53891580f63e

Have ordered 2 (for two different 12"-ers.); works great, diminutive, no hassles, quick, etc.

Enjoy.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 01:27 AM

When I get a laptop, I'm getting one of these:

Roadwired R.A.P.S.! Advanced Protection System Wrap

�_Layered construction and overlapping/self-securing design protects against the elements. Lining material (see below) is a true moisture/vapor barrier.

� 1/8-inch thick foam interlining throughout, to protect against bumps and jolts.

�_Patented Corrosion Intercept� lining (originally developed by Lucent Technologies Bell Labs to protect missile and space components) protects against environmental gasses, pollution and humidity, improving the performance (clock accuracy, key response, etc.) of electronics, reducing errors, and extending useful life.

�_Hook/loop closure material at all four corners allows R.A.P.S. to be folded, rolled and closed in virtually limitless configurations, to conform perfectly to any contents.

�_Primary materials: Velcro-compatible tricot exterior with Corrosion Intercept� lining and mesh ventilation layer.

nick_coday
Apr 25, 2004, 01:56 AM

I have one, it won't fit around a laptop. Only a PDA/Camera is/are the biggest these work for.
--------------------------------------
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

gostan
Apr 25, 2004, 07:31 AM

I currently use a Waterfield Designs sleevecase with my 12: IBook and I have ordered a size 11 Sleevecase from WD to go with the 15" ALBook when it arrives. Either Sleevecase fits into a Small Cozmo Bag from WD. The Sleevecase protects the computer in and out of bag. Great system with no wear and tear after 2 years of use.
24" Intel Core 2 Duo IMac 2.4 Ghz
15.4"/2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2004, 12:57 PM

I voted "nope" for the sleeve. They provide next to no protection, and coming from someone who has dropped his Powerbook three times and damaged it each time, take it from me--if you get a sleeve, you should also get a padded laptop bag/case ALONG with your sleeve. Even if the sleeve is padded, you really can never get enough protection for your laptop.

I use the Marware Sportfolio II. It has lots of padding, and I keep its height off the ground minimal when I'm carrying it. I'm not joking...if you have your laptop in a sleeve in your backpack or something high up from the ground, that's another couple of feet your Powerbook would travel on its way to the ground, producing more force on impact, and a huge dent for your trouble. The Sportfolio goes in my shoulder bag, or I use the strap and put that around my shoulder. Both the Sportfolio and my shoulder bag are padded.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

MrCaN  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 25, 2004, 02:06 PM

I would kinda like to know who the zeroshock fit, are the tight? What I want it for is I have a messenger bag, that has a laptop pocket in it, with alittle padding, but I would like a sleeve to help with scratches and what not, but then after class I would jsut like to carry the computer without the backpack to work, so I think I may be leaning towards the zershock now. Its not far to work, alittle ride in the car, then a short walk, so rain shouldn't be a huge issue, but sometimes it will get alittle rain on it.
Mr. CaN

iomatic
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 02:57 PM

The Zeroshock fits perfectly over the 12"; it was designed for this form-factor. It's fantastically diminutive, if you're a professional and want to slip it into a stylish, hip bag (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 � some of these vendors also make laptop-specific bags). Of the choices I have here, take a look at 5 and 6; they sound like they make a case that may fit your needs (portable, strap-able, slipcase-design).

Originally posted by MrCaN:
I would kinda like to know who the zeroshock fit, are the tight?

( Last edited by iomatic; Apr 25, 2004 at 03:06 PM. )

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2004, 04:36 PM

i have the booq Powersleeve, which only holds the Powerbook and 2-3 small accessories. i got it because it is vertical for the 17-inch, and very light, and relatively attractive. oh, and fairly cheap for something with a shoulderstrap!

but sometimes i wish i had a real bag... that could take my powerbook, a phone, pda, mouse, extra battery, etc. so keep that in mind when considering this one:

PowerSleeve 17

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2004, 11:13 PM

I second the Sportfolio from Marware. It's quite nice, and keeps my 12in Snug.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 08:12 PM

I have a Timbuk2 DeeDog (Large / 2nd largest) messenger bag. It has a center divider that fit my old fujitsu laptop just fine. The bag is waterproof but not padded at all. Most backpack/messengerbag built for laptops look bulky, are expensive, and have less space to hold books when the laptop is in. I like Timbuk2 products (and would recommend a Timbuk2 grip sleeve) as all their products are well built, but I chose to go with a Crumpler School Hymn. It's really hard to find the bag in the states, most places being sold out or overcharging. the website price for it is 50 retail. i've seen it go for 79.99 before shipping for the 12inch model .. haha ..

What sold me is the skin tight fit .. maybe not as snug as the radtech .. but seriously .. that radtech sleeve is a joke .. it offers no protection except from your fingernails. It looks cool as HECK though .. I thought they look great .. but .. not for what I need it for. The Crumpler School Hymn has a hard shell inside , and slightly padded, fuzz and lint free interior fabric, and a zipper protector so you wont scratch up the mac. it's not very thick compared to most bags out there, but i dont need fluff, i need something that can take weight (books stacked on top of it) and not put pressure on the lcd or hinge of the powerbook.

If anyone wants, I'll put up a review about how well it works in a week or so if anyone is interested. I know it must suck to buy bags/sleeves, i've killed 3 days on forums before i decided to just bite the bullet and buy .. and the first site ran out of that color .. great .. Here's to hoping you guys find what fits you best .. that's the best advice i can give. Good Luck

By the way .. it isnt very thick .. just incase you guys read into this ... check out their site .. i think its http://www.crumplerusa.com/products/...hool_hymn.html .. not totally sure though .. google it ... =)
( Last edited by Lancer409; May 4, 2004 at 08:22 PM. )

Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 4, 2004, 08:13 PM

btw, i heard the zeroshock can be compressed to very thin material that stays thin for a while because of the property of the material (read a review) how true is that? is it rigid, semi rigid, or semi floppy (hard to tell from pictures, and i've read in reviews that it's quite rigid, it's semi rigid, and that it's quite flimsy .. *sigh* subjective .. hehe thanks

hodaddy
May 4, 2004, 11:13 PM

i got one of these from willow design for my ibook500. now my 12" p'book uses it. the company has gone/is going out of business. you may still be able to get one if you hurry.

i love mine. it fits right in my backpack and is top loading, so i can just drop my p'book in when i'm ready to go.

i dont use a sleeve to protect the computer from drops, tho with the extra padding this thing provides i have no doubt it would survive a fall --especially if in the backpack too.

i mainly use it to protect it from scratches and flexing while i carry it around. i wouldnt travel without it. it has made many cross-country and trans-continental trips without a hitch.
if it aint' broke, break it.

krux`
Forum Regular
May 5, 2004, 02:24 AM

Well for my powerbook i got 2 accessories, a backpack with a laptop place, and an InCase laptop sleeve, check it out: http://homepage.mac.com/krux/PhotoAlbum16.html

Bought it at the Apple Retail store!
15"AluPB1.5GHz1GBR80GBhdbcklitkeyboard 10.4.8
email: [email protected] iChat: [email protected]
http://www.davidgclark.com/

Religion is for those who have never had a spiritual experience.

Bonhomme7heures
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2004, 06:43 PM

Got a Marware sleeve also.

http://www.marware.com/SFSleeves.html

Fits the alu 15" like a glove.

But I'm still looking for the perfect bag to go with it. Something like a messenger bag would be great but which one?
------------
Black Macbook
2Gb RAM

Formely: 15" ALU powerbook 512mb RAM

sillydog701
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2004, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by Phat Bastard:
I voted "nope" for the sleeve. They provide next to no protection, and coming from someone who has dropped his Powerbook three times and damaged it each time, take it from me--if you get a sleeve, you should also get a padded laptop bag/case ALONG with your sleeve. Even if the sleeve is padded, you really can never get enough protection for your laptop.
Good point.
However, the sleeve still has its protection, keeping the scratches away other objects from the backpack.

Sometimes, I just can't carry a proper laptop bag... reasons are...
* not enough room in laptop bag/case for anything else.
* don't want to carry two bags.
* (my old) laptop bag is too heavy
* really need to reduce the weight on the go.

MrCaN  (op)
Forum Regular
May 6, 2004, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by Bonhomme7heures:
Got a Marware sleeve also.

http://www.marware.com/SFSleeves.html

Fits the alu 15" like a glove.

But I'm still looking for the perfect bag to go with it. Something like a messenger bag would be great but which one?
Yea I need a good bag, I am thinking one of those that is a one strap over the shoulder, that hangs on the back, kinda like if a messanger bag had a child with its cousin the backpack.
Mr. CaN

Forum Links
Forum Rules