Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Considering A New Powerbook

Considering A New Powerbook
Agent69
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 01:09 PM

I currently own a single processor 1.25ghz PowerMac G4 MDD but find myself wishing for the portability that a Powerbook would provide. But before I commit to moving to a new computer, I have some questions:

1. The 1.5ghz G4 is available in both the 15� and 17� PowerBooks, which seem to be identical except for case size and screen size. Everything being equal, shouldn�t the 17� Powerbook run a little bit cooler and quieter due to its larger case size?

2. Can anyone give me their impressions on using a Powerbook with BlueTooth peripherals? I ask because I would like to use Bluetooth as a way to save wear and tear on the built in components of the Powerbook when I am using it at home.

3. Does the built in keyboard on PowerBooks still show up as an ADB devices? (I am one of those people who prefer to remap the Cap Lock key to CTRL.)

4. Except for hard disk speed, is there any reason a 1.5ghz G4 Powerbook shouldn�t perform as well, if not better, than my 1.25ghz PowerMac?

Thanks!!
Agent69

Saramin
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2004, 01:27 PM

1) It has more room for air circulation so it should run a bit cooler, yes. It's only going to be by a couple degrees at most though, so I wouldn't hinge your decision on that alone.

2) I use a bluetooth mouse with my PB daily and have yet to have any problems. The keyboard and touchpad are pretty durable though (or at least more durable than some other parts), so it's unlikely that you'd need to have external peripherals for the sole purpose of conserving wear and tear.

3) No idea, as I've never had the need to change anything. If you tell me how, I can check it for you.

4) Generally speaking, RAM and HDD speed are the bottlenecks of any laptop. The video card also plays a part if you're doing things like gaming and whatnot. Assuming you upgrade your memory you should be fine. You can also always upgrade the HDD itself later on if you don't mind voiding the warranty.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2004, 02:58 PM

Some Xbench results show that the new PB are faster than 1.25 PM, with HD and VRAM upgrades ofcourse.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Oct 8, 2004, 05:00 PM

ADB? thats a term i thought i would never hear again, do they really show up as ADB?
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Agent69  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:
ADB? thats a term i thought i would never hear again, do they really show up as ADB?
I know that the technote says that the trackpad issues ADB commands. It doesn't say anything about the keyboard, however.
Agent69

Agent69  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Saramin:

4) Generally speaking, RAM and HDD speed are the bottlenecks of any laptop.
According to the documentation of the 17" 1.5ghz Powerbook, the RAM speed and bus speed are the same as my PM-G4, 167mhz, so I should think that it would work as well as my PowerMac G4 does. Of course the hard disk access will be a bit slower.

The reason that I was bringing all this up is that my PowerMac G4 really is fast enough for me. If I can get equal or better overall performance from the Powerbook, I think that I could be happy with it.

By the way, has anyone every had problems with debris getting in the ports of the sides of the Powerbook? Does anyone make something to cover them when they are not being used?

Thanks.
Agent69

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 10:00 PM

If you want to switch your Caps Lock and Control keys, you can use uControl: http://www.gnufoo.org/ucontrol/

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules