Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mac for me?

Mac for me?
gerardwaysgirl13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2006, 11:27 PM

Hi everybody I'm new here and to the idea of getting a Mac (which I'm going to blame on two of my internet aquantinces and leave it at that).

I'm looking at getting an iBook G4, probably by the end of the year. I have a couple questions that go along with it...

-What are a couple reasons to go with a Mac over a PC desktop?
-Would a new iBook be OK for occassional recording/podcasting (most of our main work gets done on a desktop)? Would it need more RAM to do this?
-I'm a high school sophmore, which means that an iBook is a big money dump over a $600 Dell. Will this computer still be good when I'm off to college for basic use?

Ooh, and this is a good one: My dad is having like, a love affair with Dells. How am I going to convince him to let me get a Mac? He did let me get this piece of $#!t compaq that I'm on now, but it cost a lot less that even a Dell and an iBook would be a lot more...

Thanks for your opinions and advice!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2006, 01:04 AM

Get whatever works for you. A computer is a tool, not a religion.

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2006, 01:25 AM

The best way to decide what computer is better for you is to use them both for a few days and decide which one you like more. In general on a Mac you have to worry about virii and security less than a Windows machine (less, not ignore it all together) and I personally prefer the GUI of OSX compared to XP.

If you are a big gamer then the Mac is not for you, keep that in mind.

RE podcasting, I have no experience there so I cannot say, and the iBook should be fine for basic college use (email, iTunes, web browsing, instant messaging, word processing, etc.)

and for your info, I am GUESSING that the iBook G4 will be replaced with an intel version by the end of the year, only time will tell.

Good luck with your decision,

Chris
This signature is obsolete.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2006, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
Get whatever works for you. A computer is a tool, not a religion.
What if he already has a religion, but wants a computer to go with it ?
What religion does a Mac fit ?

-t

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2006, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by pintamino
-Would a new iBook be OK for occassional recording/podcasting (most of our main work gets done on a desktop)? Would it need more RAM to do this?
-I'm a high school sophmore, which means that an iBook is a big money dump over a $600 Dell. Will this computer still be good when I'm off to college for basic use?
-Mac OS X. It's more stable and secure than Windows and, IMO, is easier to use, although it has its quirks that can be difficulties for new users switching from MS.
-An iBook would be fine. New Macs include for free the iLife '06 suite of media apps, including GarageBand multitrack software. The current version of GB has new optimizations and features for podcast production. I use a current-revision iBook to do music production and it works well for my needs (mid-sized projects using moderate effects and few to no software instruments). I use Steinberg Cubase for most of my work but GarageBand is solid (it's based on Logic) and I use it for demos. The stock 512MB of RAM will most likely be adequate for your needs.
-Short answer: yes. Long answer: The iBook G4 will be fine for many years for web surfing, word processing, etc. You can future-proof yourself, however, by waiting until Apple replaces the iBook's G4 processor with an Intel Core chip. The new 'Books (which will likely be called MacBook) will be released this year, according to Apple's plan to transition its entire line to Intel in '06. Speculation and rumors point to a spring/early summer announcement for the Intel iBooks.

Ooh, and this is a good one: My dad is having like, a love affair with Dells. How am I going to convince him to let me get a Mac? He did let me get this piece of $#!t compaq that I'm on now, but it cost a lot less that even a Dell and an iBook would be a lot more...
There are enough arguments that can be made, ranging from the benefits of OS X over XP to the concept of 'value-added' software such as iLife compared to the 'lite' and demo versions of software that publishers pay to have bundled with computers in hopes that you'll buy the full version. Feature-by-feature comparisons of the new Intel-based Macs to similarly-equipped PCs have shown that the PCs, which appear significantly cheaper on first sight, have actually lost their price advantage. I'm sure that the Intel iBooks, when announced, will continue this trend. In addition, the total cost of ownership is lower for Macs. You don't need to subscribe to anti-virus software or buy a firewall. (There are no OS X viruses and malware is generally not a problem, and OS X has a very serviceable firewall built in.)

I will second what Chris said above: try out a Mac for a while and see how you like it. You may want to check out Mac 101 for an introduction to OS X and its features. However, if you're a big gamer, forget it. The games market for OS X is pretty anemic.

volcano
Senior User
Mar 26, 2006, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Gilpin
and for your info, I am GUESSING that the iBook G4 will be replaced with an intel version by the end of the year, only time will tell.
You don't have to guess. Steve made a point when he introduced the new Mac Mini last month that all Apple computers would be equipped with an Intel processor by the end of the year. In fact, I'm hoping the new Intel-based iBook and MacBook Pro (13" I hope) are introduced next month.

But, come to think of it, Steve isn't the best at keeping his promises...

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Mar 26, 2006, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
What if he already has a religion, but wants a computer to go with it ?
What religion does a Mac fit ?

-t
Judaism.

Small, in the utter minority, but the quality is amazing.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2006, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Corpse of Chewbacca
Judaism.
Small, in the utter minority, but the quality is amazing.
That was OS 9.

Now that the Stevior arrived, Apple is under the X and goes mainstream

-t

forkies
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2006, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by volcano
steve pics
i like the pants he's wearing in the bottom pic!

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2006, 06:03 PM

Welcome to MacNN pintamino. I look forward to getting to know you. I think that an iBook is a very nice computer. Should definitely get more RAM. Would also recommend AppleCare.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2006, 06:08 PM

No spyware or Virus's on OSX. That alone should settle it.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

madflava54
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2006, 08:28 PM

I bought my first mac (an ibook) about 18 months ago, i cannot believe i ever used a pc at home. Anyone who ever argues for pc over mac has never owned one, whereas i would imagine that the majority of mac owners have owned/regularly used a pc at one time or another. ever heared of a mac user going back to a pc?

PCs may have the upper hand in horse power, but the reliability of a mac is worth 10x that. the only thing i regret is not spending a little more at the time on specification, as the ibook is entry level (as far as notebooks are concerned), and a little more under the hood would be very nice.

bottom line is, even if you get a mac that's slower than a pc in the same price range, it will work so much better, and you'll realise how terrible windows is... amen

applesnapple
Mar 28, 2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by pintamino
Hi everybody I'm new here and to the idea of getting a Mac (which I'm going to blame on two of my internet aquantinces and leave it at that).

I'm looking at getting an iBook G4, probably by the end of the year. I have a couple questions that go along with it...

Thanks for your opinions and advice!
I seriously doubt that an iBook G4 will serve you well when you are in college. The iBook G4 is going to be discontinued soon, and as an outdated model I don't think it could keep up for another few years until you get into college. As for your dad, try to frustrate him with the dell. I dunno install a virus on it or something, lol. If you really want to Im sure you can find a way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules