Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Going to graduate in 2 months, gotta find a job

Going to graduate in 2 months, gotta find a job
krillbee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2006, 12:24 AM

I am going to graduate with a B.A. in Psychology in 2 months, as long as I do okay in my Senior Seminar class, lol.

I am concerned about what I will do after I graduate though. Finding a job with a psych B.A. right away, aint easy. I wont be in debt after college though, I will basically be flat broke, so I dont need to start making money right away, since I can live my parents and get free rent and food

This summer I could work at my college again moving furniture and getting $9.25 an hour. Last summer the job was pretty fun. This would help me postpone the search for a real job, and I could make a little money over the summer. I really would want to make more than 9.25, since I think my time is worth more than that, and this job is only for the summer, but its basically there if i want to take it. And if I dont work this summer there may be the possibility that I'll just sit on my ass and do nothing, which wouldnt be good.

Think I should work at my school fulltime this summer again?
Or should I just start looking for a real full time job? (the scary part, something i've never done before)
( Last edited by krillbee; Mar 28, 2006 at 01:39 AM. )

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2006, 01:25 AM

Go real, go full-time. If you can, get a job doing something you love. If you can't, get a job that will pay you what you're worth to do what you're doing.

Congrats.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 28, 2006, 01:37 AM

job++++
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2006, 09:10 AM

There's no rush. You're going to work for the next 50 years, so why be in a hurry? If 9.25 pays your bills, I'd look until I found a great job that I really wanted. No sense in taking a job that is mediocre or that you'll be leaving in a year or two. Money isn't everything, and job satisfaction should get consideration.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2006, 11:46 AM

Depends, what do you want to do with your BA in Psych? Research? Therepy?

if you want to do either of those, you'll need grad school eventually

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2006, 12:34 PM

Congratulations. That is a big plus to be able to graduate debt free. I wish you all the best. Staying with you parents and working at your college will give you time to explore your options.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2006, 01:17 PM

Congratulations! I'd suggest taking a couple months off, or just do the summer job. I think a small break is well-deserved after college if you don't need the money right away. But don't get used to it, after summer get a real job, ya bum

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2006, 01:30 PM

Can you get a decent job with a bachelor ? Here you need masters minimum, BA is next to worthless. I'd say: get a masters. Otherwise just go full time.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2006, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Can you get a decent job with a bachelor ? Here you need masters minimum, BA is next to worthless. I'd say: get a masters. Otherwise just go full time.
I'm not going back to school for a long time. Sure you can get jobs with a bachelors, just not any teaching jobs, or a psychologist, counselor, or anything like that.

At this point though, all I'm worried about is this summer and the year ahead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules