Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hard drive sleep issue

Hard drive sleep issue
Talon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 12:00 PM

Hey all,
Sorry if this is a repeat, the search isn't working right now. I just wanted to poll and see if anyone else is having issues with their hard drives not going to sleep. I'm on an iBook 500mHz and since upgrading to Panther, I can't seem to get it to sleep w/o quitting all apps and unplugging my ethernet and usb devices. I know this is vague on details, but any ideas? Am I alone on this issue? Thanks.

-tally

discotronic
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 12:17 PM

Most likely it is one of your USB devices. I don't think it is your ethernet. What do you have plugged in to your USB port? Scanners and floppy drives usually cause a problem.

Talon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the reply. I unplugged the scanner and the hard drive is definitely being accessed less, but there is still a set of access noises every 5-10 minutes. Glad to hear this probably isn't a common problem. I might just need to start testing hardware and software combinations until I figure out what's keeping it awake. Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules