Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > **How do external HDD's work with Windows AND Macs?!?

**How do external HDD's work with Windows AND Macs?!?
Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2004, 02:25 AM

I want to back up files on my powerbook and on my pc with an external harddrive (thinking about buying an external enclosure and an internal drive and using it as a GIGANTIC flash drive (usb thumbdrive) for BOTH the powerbook and my windows desktop. flash drives work fine shuttling files from powerbook to pc and vice versa. will a external harddrive work as well? will i be able to use it with both my windows and osx machine? Will one or the other operating systems not recognize it? or will it function as i need it to?

any tips about what i need to know, or good enclosures to recommend? Thanks a bunch .. I'm such a newbie at these things

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Oct 9, 2004, 05:34 AM

Yes,it is possible to have a gigantic flashdrive...

You just need to format the disc to FAT32. You can do this from Disc Utility, just select DOS formatting, then both OS X and Windows can see and use it.

As for an enclosure, I would recomend a enclusore with both USB2 and Firewire, as many win-machines don't have firewire.

Macka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2004, 11:31 AM

Check this link for info on the process

http://macosxhints.com/article.php?s...30613121738812

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2004, 03:12 AM

Yeah you will need to format it as FAT32. If you are doing automatic backups using backup software you will first need to make sure that the software you use can do FAT32 drives from OS X. For example I tried silverscreen from LaCie and it would not write to a FAT32 partition.

Synk on the other hand worked and I find it to be an excellent program.

Ruahrc

Ryan1524
Senior User
Oct 10, 2004, 03:26 AM

Macdrive 5 is your friend. it allows PCs to read HFS+ volumes.
Ryan

Forum Links
Forum Rules