Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 1GB or 2GB of RAM?

1GB or 2GB of RAM?
Ti X
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2004, 02:46 PM

I have a rev. a 17" PowerBook with 1GB of RAM, and it was always my understanding that the memory bus is too slow to access any additional RAM, and anything over a 1GB would be a waste of money. Who has gone from 1GB to 2GB with heavy PS use and seen a significant difference? Are there any reviews out there?
15" AI PowerBook
17" PowerBook 1GB RAM
15" PowerBook 512MB RAM
700Mhz iBook

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2004, 02:52 PM

I have a 17, about two months old. I started with 1GB (2 512s) but sold one and added a 1GB stick for 1.5Gb of ram.
For most jobs, it does seem a little speedier. I haven't really pushed it to see how menu meters reads it though.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2004, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Ti X:
I have a rev. a 17" PowerBook with 1GB of RAM, and it was always my understanding that the memory bus is too slow to access any additional RAM, and anything over a 1GB would be a waste of money. Who has gone from 1GB to 2GB with heavy PS use and seen a significant difference? Are there any reviews out there?
Depends on your usage. I found that 1GB was just not enough for me, my PB did start paging under heavy use and switching apps would get slugghish, so I went form 1GB to 1.5GB that did it for me. If you have a 2x512 config just swap one 512 for an 1GB stick and see what happens. If you are a 1x1GB I'd go straight for a 2nd 1GB stick!

Forum Links
Forum Rules