Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > alternative to idisk..

alternative to idisk..
nemo
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2001, 09:05 AM

I want to share my files by just sending someone a link with the download url in it so they can just click it and start downloading immediately.

You can do this with idisk but everything I upload seems to end up as a binhex.hqx file (unless there's a way to avoid this) and I need to share with PC users.

Freedrive is okay but the recipient needs to input email info etc, anyone know of another storage space where this is possible?

Thanks

jrlaff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2001, 04:36 AM

You can open an account at a web pages hosting provider, such as Geocities, and then put your files via FTP. So you can put everything you want and give the people the addresses, or even build a simple page with links to your files...

hope this helps.

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: jrlaff ]

nemo  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2001, 08:13 AM

Thanks jrlaff,
I've opened accounts with both geocities and Tripod, I've uploaded my file (PDF) yet I can't seem to work out how I display/access the file on the homepage they give you?

They have lot's of cheesy templates to choose from (not complaining because it's free, and I don't know much HTML) but public download access remains a bit of a mystery, any clues?

Cheers

nemo  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2001, 08:54 AM

I think I might have sorted it, (just typing in the directory path) http://download.tripod.co.uk:81/jimc...ormonsters.pdf
If the user hasn't got the PDF viewer I wonder if it would just dl to disk?..

jrlaff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2001, 04:48 PM

Well if the user attempts to get a pdf file and doesn't have the pdf plug-in, his browser will allow him to download it to his drive,

markbbb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2001, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by nemo:
<STRONG>You can do this with idisk but everything I upload seems to end up as a binhex.hqx file (unless there's a way to avoid this) and I need to share with PC users. </STRONG>
If you don't put it in your Public folder it doesn't automatically binhex it. Put it somewhere else and then link to it.

nemo  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2001, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by markbbb:
<STRONG>

If you don't put it in your Public folder it doesn't automatically binhex it. Put it somewhere else and then link to it. </STRONG>
Wouldn't you need a password to directly access other non-public folders? Why is it binhexed in the public folder anyway?

-Q-
Aug 13, 2001, 11:04 AM

Windows users can expand BinHex files using Aladdin Expander. You could always include a link to this utility on your page also...

And if they download WinZip, it also provides support for expanding BinHex files...

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: -Q- ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules