Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Saw the 17" PowerBook in person

Saw the 17" PowerBook in person
iohead
Feb 7, 2003, 06:34 PM

So I went to the Apple Store in Palo Alto during lunch time. Indeed they have a display model (on the rotating thingy). I did touch and feel it - it *IS* a desirable machine, from almost any point of view (except price, maybe!)

Here's the most interesting part: I talked to two employees - they both said that it will be in stores MID TO LATE FEBRUARY!

As Eric Cartman would say, "Sweet!"

-A

mginsberg
Feb 7, 2003, 06:44 PM

That sounds like what they did with us PowerBook 12" buyers. For anyone that has one on order, I would recommend contacting the Apple Store daily and when they get one in, go get it quick. It will probably be in stock for sale, before you get they one that you ordered.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2003, 06:58 PM

Thanks for posting this! Makes even more excited as the time draws near for pre-orders to begin shipping out!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2003, 07:01 PM

I was in Akihabara yesterday and so I stopped by a few of the major Mac shops hoping they might have a display model of the 17" somewhere (one place I tried had an LCD iMac just days after they were announced) but no go. They did have a lifesized color cardboard cutout though. Doesn't really seem as huge as people were saying, but it is certainly on the big side.

QTI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2003, 12:26 AM

Apple Hong Kong had a "party" on 5/2 and they showed off the 17" among other things. Participants (registered through their website) can try out the real thing.

I didn't go though.

--
QTI

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2003, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by iohead:
Here's the most interesting part: I talked to two employees - they both said that it will be in stores MID TO LATE FEBRUARY!
Snap some digital photos of these clowns, so we know who to hunt down and beat when they don't show up until late March!
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2003, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by QTI:
Apple Hong Kong had a "party" on 5/2 and they showed off the 17" among other things. Participants (registered through their website) can try out the real thing.

I didn't go though.
Thanks for posting that picture though! That is the best picture I've seen yet, because it adequately conveys the size of the machine AND THE SCREEN! As Steve Jobs said, it is stunning.

Same feeling I had when I first set up my 22" Cinema Display on my desk. Just kinda stared at it for 10 minutes, powered off.
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com

cliff
Feb 8, 2003, 05:56 AM

Man that screen is HUUGE

..but the width is tiny..

Can't wait!

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2003, 09:50 AM