Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook Cafe Day

PowerBook Cafe Day
Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 02:27 PM

I was just thinking, I'm sure we're all proud users of the new PowerBook G4's, especially those of us with the 17" model... I thought maybe at some point in the near future, after most have shipped and been received, MacNN users could have a "PowerBook Cafe Day" where you go to your local Starbucks or coffee house (A hotspot location would be even better if you wanted to) and just bring it in to use it - and enjoy the envious stares you'll receive.

It's an idea... Anyone want to participate? I think it be cool if people from the same area all did it and there'd be a bunch of PowerBook users in the store at the same time..

Anyone who thinks this is a cool idea, feel free to suggest a date and time and all that.

Please Note: Even though I presented this idea, I take no responsibility what may happen if you bring your PowerBook and spill coffee on it or whatever. You'd participate at your own risk!
Another PC to PB17 Switcher
Became the proud new owner of a PB17 on 03/22/03
http://www.mattmargolis.com (Part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy)

djjava
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 03:07 PM

I'm so ready to get my stares, oohs, and ahhhs. I think a weekend is preferred (some of us work during the week). if there is a Saturdya or Sunday that falls on the 17th on a given month, that is a good idea (tho no weekend 17s for a while), or perhaps, a 4th of the month, in honor of the G4 (Sunday May 4th).

bring it on.. don't spill.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 04:51 PM

I'm down. I know a great hotspot in my area (Washington DC/Northern Virginia area) that has free wireless. I know "swsteckly" lives near me in northern Virginia. AssassyN lives in North Carolina, I am from Richmond VA and will likely be there when I get my 17. I'm down.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Raptorz
Mar 25, 2003, 06:13 PM

I'm in! I have a starbucks near me that should have it...if not maybe McDonalds does

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by Raptorz:
I'm in! I have a starbucks near me that should have it...if not maybe McDonalds does
There is this place in Clarendon called Common Grounds. It has free Wifi. That's where I think the Northern VA and DC folks could meet. If this happens.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

sensorfreaky
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2003, 06:57 PM

you friggin' geeks!

actually, I shouldn't talk. I go to more dorky car club gatherings than I care to publlicly admit.

macndave
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2003, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by badnewsblair:
There is this place in Clarendon called Common Grounds. It has free Wifi. That's where I think the Northern VA and DC folks could meet. If this happens.
BOOOO...You let out our secret.

Common Grounds is a great place; it has two small meeting rooms and a large general room. The coffee and food are GREAT. The staff really cool and the free WIFI is awesome (I am soooo glad that they got rid of the WiseZone Wifi service, it was a pain to use and expensive).

I only have an 800 DVI PowerBook but I would be willing to see a few AlBooks in use.

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 08:32 PM

I'm down. I know a great hotspot in my area (Washington DC/Northern Virginia area) that has free wireless. I know "swsteckly" lives near me in northern Virginia. AssassyN lives in North Carolina, I am from Richmond VA and will likely be there when I get my 17. I'm down.
I live in Geneva, Switzerland.

There's some sweet cafes here though...

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by macndave:
BOOOO...You let out our secret.

Common Grounds is a great place; it has two small meeting rooms and a large general room. The coffee and food are GREAT. The staff really cool and the free WIFI is awesome (I am soooo glad that they got rid of the WiseZone Wifi service, it was a pain to use and expensive).

I only have an 800 DVI PowerBook but I would be willing to see a few AlBooks in use.
Yeah, I thought about releasing the cat about Common Grounds, but I figure i tell people here, and get more Mac users in there. Plus, I'm always open for meeting you guys!

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2003, 08:59 PM

Ya Know- I don't think we even have a Starbucks in NH! Never thought about it b4. I go when I'm in MA or NY- but we just don't have em yet. Hmmmm... anyone from NH got any ideas? I wanna be part of this!

That is of course if EVER get my 17" PB from PowerMax!~!!!!!!

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by KeriVit:
Ya Know- I don't think we even have a Starbucks in NH! Never thought about it b4. I go when I'm in MA or NY- but we just don't have em yet. Hmmmm... anyone from NH got any ideas? I wanna be part of this!

Oh no. A reseller! I have pity for you. Though you still will probably get yours befroe Apple decides to give me mine

Miles Davis
Mar 25, 2003, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by KeriVit:

Actually there are a bunch of Starbucks in NH! Go to almost any Barnes and Noble. The only problem is that I believe you have to pay for SB Hotspot access (TMobile), unless there is a way around it....

Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2003, 09:33 PM

I'm down with that...but I'm going out on my own. I'm whipping the powerbook out in my classes tomorrow, then cafes later.

edited so no one can have their head in the gutter
( Last edited by Over Achiever; Mar 25, 2003 at 11:18 PM. )
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

Moose
Senior User
Mar 25, 2003, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Over Achiever:
I'm down...but I'm going on my own. I'm whipping it out in my classes tomorrow, then cafes later.

Careful. Don't want to run afoul of any public indecency laws.

baglunch
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by sensorfreaky:
you friggin' geeks!

actually, I shouldn't talk. I go to more dorky car club gatherings than I care to publlicly admit.
Well, with me considering voiding my warranty to change the color of my apple logo and keyboard backlight, I definitely feel like the geek version of the muscle car maniac or ricer.

Jacket  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2003, 12:28 AM

anyone in Massachusetts interested?

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2003, 12:46 AM

Darn there are no "Hot Spots" around here!
Dual 2.0Ghz PM 23" Al Cinema Display
17" 1.5Ghz Al PB
17" iMac

mrgaskell
Senior User
Mar 28, 2003, 02:27 AM

Nobody from Colorado, eh? I was at the 24 hours Fourbucks Coffee (Starbucks) the other day and there were 4 PBs and 3 iBooks at one time! (and one peecee user, a Dell no less). It was the only time that we were in the majority...

Simian
Mar 28, 2003, 02:30 AM

I'm in CT. I just love the oohs and ahhs.
They say the mind bends and twists in order to deal with the horrors of life...
...Sometimes the mind bends so much it snaps in two. :)
TMB-PS2

AlbertDeschesne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2003, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by GeekyJeff:
Darn there are no "Hot Spots" around here!
Does "wardriving" count?

cliff
Mar 28, 2003, 04:18 AM

Wardriving doesn't count dood.

The point is to have people staring at your PowerBook!

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2003, 05:07 AM

I thought about trying to get it to throb like the sleeping light or put a spinning pinwheel with the beachball colors. Course I'd do this on my 500Mhz not a new 17". Have those guys in Japan try it out first. They take theirs apart all the time hehe.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

tfr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2003, 10:19 AM

I've already discovered two hotspots here (my two favorites, unfortunately) that aren't compatible with the Airport Extreme - it just doesn't find the hotspot at all ("no Airport networks in range").

Both of them are luckily operated by the same company and admitted that they have some old Nokia base stations there that are now due a quick replacement. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
@home: iMac / 17" / 1GHz / 1GB / 80GB / SuperDrive
@go: PowerBook / 12" / 867MHz / 640MB / 40GB / Combo / BT / AE

Jacket  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2003, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by tfr:
I've already discovered two hotspots here (my two favorites, unfortunately) that aren't compatible with the Airport Extreme - it just doesn't find the hotspot at all ("no Airport networks in range").

Both of them are luckily operated by the same company and admitted that they have some old Nokia base stations there that are now due a quick replacement. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
dont' you have to pay or something to get a password for some of them?

djjava
Senior User
Mar 31, 2003, 09:44 AM

I was just in my local Starbucks in Beverly, Mass., (a non-hotspot) and a 12" Powerbook was there (with its owner). Someone jumped the guy on the cafe day... unless cafe day applies to 17" PBs only... speaking of which, what date works out for everyone? If you are intersted, a new thread will be created within the next couple days where people can post their location, where they are going, and whether or not the location is a hotspot.

drink up. don't spill.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Jacket  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2003, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
I was just in my local Starbucks in Beverly, Mass., (a non-hotspot) and a 12" Powerbook was there (with its owner). Someone jumped the guy on the cafe day... unless cafe day applies to 17" PBs only... speaking of which, what date works out for everyone? If you are intersted, a new thread will be created within the next couple days where people can post their location, where they are going, and whether or not the location is a hotspot.

drink up. don't spill.
it should be on a weekend. anyone who can afford a PB17 obviously must have a job and thus would only be available on a weekend.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2003, 02:33 PM

Heh, thats true. I was talking to my local best buy guy about mac programs (which they dont have any) and he said that thier target market was way below me. I live in Waco TX so many people live below average around here. Its ok though cause I can always get stuff off the net, I just thought it was cool that I have the BMW of laptops.

By the way, alot of networks arnt viewable by just searching. My university for instance requires you to pu tin specific locations and password for the computer to even see it. SO I dont think it as much an hardware issue as it is a settings issue. Afterall it is b compliant

Forcelite

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Mar 31, 2003, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by mrgaskell:
Nobody from Colorado, eh? I was at the 24 hours Fourbucks Coffee (Starbucks) the other day and there were 4 PBs and 3 iBooks at one time! (and one peecee user, a Dell no less). It was the only time that we were in the majority...
I'm down in Colorado Springs. Really sucks though, because we only have one cafe with WIFI and they actually managed to find a way to charge MORE than Starbucks Fort Collins is the place for free WIFI.

Jacket  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2003, 12:16 PM

is anybody still interested in doing this????

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2003, 12:57 PM

I am in the washington dc area, but sadly my 17" (unless something drastic happens) won't be here that early, that and my wife and kids probably won't let me go that long

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2003, 03:23 AM

I already do that....

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules