Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Got my 1st stuck pixel...

Got my 1st stuck pixel...
deviousgelatin
Nov 10, 2003, 02:01 PM

*sigh*

It's red, and now that I've noticed it I can't stop staring at it. But on the bright side, no white spots...

So, how many stuck pixels do you need before you can send it back for repair undle AppleCare?

nate_02
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by deviousgelatin:
*sigh*

It's red, and now that I've noticed it I can't stop staring at it. But on the bright side, no white spots...

So, how many stuck pixels do you need before you can send it back for repair undle AppleCare?
It used to be 3 I think, but I have two dead pixels that were there right away when I got my 15" back from reapair. I'm going to take it in and get a case # because the upper left corner is also a little darker.

If you have an apple store nearby, take it in and see what they say.
-nate

deviousgelatin  (op)
Nov 10, 2003, 03:06 PM

Thanks! Guess I'll run it over there this weekend & at least get a case# put on it. But given the reported backorders on the LCDs, I can live with it for a few more weeks.

djjava
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 03:19 PM

Thanks! Guess I'll run it over there this weekend & at least get a case# put on it. But given the reported backorders on the LCDs, I can live with it for a few more weeks.

wait a week, pray for white spot.. they'll take it back then.....
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 03:33 PM

Yeah, I hate the red ones. I don't mind a dead pixel as a tiny black spot is almost imperceptible, but a stuck red one while watching a movie is very irritating.

Sometimes massaging works, other times, it does not.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

deviousgelatin  (op)
Nov 10, 2003, 04:27 PM

Massaging?

Just gently rubbing the screen? Really? Any particular technique? I assume scented oils are out of the question....

mrgaskell
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 07:42 PM

"Massaging? Just gently rubbing the screen? Really? Any particular technique? I assume scented oils are out of the question...."

That is too funny. I heard it's okay, as long as it isn't alchohol based, right? Body paints for your PowerBook! A new industry! We'll all be rich...

jg
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 09:43 AM

i am having one stuck pixel myself ... but at the moment i couldn�t even tell where it is located. just let a few grains of dirt settle on the lcd, or choke at it two times and you won�t find it anymore!
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

deviousgelatin  (op)
Nov 11, 2003, 02:51 PM

Well, the massaging didn't get rid of the stuck pixel, but my powerbook says it feels better and more relaxed than ever before. Now it thinks we should take a spa weekend together. I keep telling it that the sauna is bad for it's delicate electronics, but you know powerbooks....once they get an idea in their heads.....

cliff
Nov 11, 2003, 04:17 PM

I have two stuck pixels on my new PB and the Apple store told me it was under spec. I don't tink they will do anything unless there are a large number of bad pixels or something else is wrong with the display.

rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2003, 04:57 PM

Massaging?

Just gently rubbing the screen? Really? Any particular technique? I assume scented oils are out of the question....
Use a soft cloth so you don't scratch the screen and gentle rub the area with the stuck pixel. I guess the friction or pressure activates the pixel and it may go away.

I had 1 stuck pixel when I got my 17" PowerBook screen replaced and I rubbed it away.

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by rcarlosnyc:
Use a soft cloth so you don't scratch the screen and gentle rub the area with the stuck pixel. I guess the friction or pressure activates the pixel and it may go away.

I had 1 stuck pixel when I got my 17" PowerBook screen replaced and I rubbed it away.
I got a stuck pixel when my PB15 came back after replacing the LCD (due to white spots).

I wanna try rubbing it out, but is there a particular way to rub it? Should the computer be off first? How long should I try it before giving up?

Thanks for any imput!

- PJ
24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

sharif
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2003, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by pbjudge:
I got a stuck pixel when my PB15 came back after replacing the LCD (due to white spots).

I wanna try rubbing it out, but is there a particular way to rub it? Should the computer be off first? How long should I try it before giving up?

Thanks for any imput!

- PJ
I've found that lightly tapping the spot with my fingernail got rid of 2 stuck pixels.

When you got your screen replaced was it the same screen that came originally? I got mine replaced and the backlighting was uneven (looked like an oil film on my screen) and the viewing angle not nearly as wide....i sent it back for repairs...3rd time in a month.

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2004, 12:50 AM

I have one stuck red pixel on my one week old AL15 too and rubbing or tapping does nothing for me. All this talk about what technique to use to rub your Book's screen... too funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules