Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Future of G5 single Processor?

Future of G5 single Processor?
G5power
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 02:25 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts or speculation on the future of the PM G5 single processor systems? It seems that it was basically ignored by Apple with this weeks product announcements / price changes.

I am ready to buy a G5 headless system for my first Apple system & have been following the forums and online stories for several months. Essentially I am in the market for a system that offers at least 4 slots for memory upgrades, space for a second internal hard drive and a video card that can be updated. Those are all things that I have upgraded on my previous Linux and Windows systems and I find that it allows me to get prolonged use by relatively inexpensive upgrades.

My preference would be for Apple to offer a 1.8 or 2 Ghz system with 512MB & 160 GB drive with at least a 64MB video card in a midsize tower. The current PM G5 1.8 is a very poor value at it's current configuration / price point. Additionally the tower size is extreme for the limited amount of internal space for drives.

This weeks updates have left me at a dead end. There is a void in the Apple product line between the mini and the base 1.8 PM and I'm surprised that Apple doesn't seem to appreciate the value of a "mid range" G5.

powertrippin
Baninated
Apr 29, 2005, 02:28 PM

Get an upgraded G4 tower on ebay. Still pretty dang fast, espcially with dual processors, cheap, and you can fit a TON of stuff in them.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2005, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by powertrippin
Get an upgraded G4 tower on ebay. Still pretty dang fast, espcially with dual processors, cheap, and you can fit a TON of stuff in them.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 04:32 PM

a g4 sounds perfect, but for a headless why would you want a 64 video card, it shouldn't matter. and you don't need a fast processor.

OreoCookie
Apr 29, 2005, 05:01 PM

What do you want to do with that system?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2005, 04:25 PM

I think having a single processor G5 hurts apple's sales more than they think. My employer buys around 50 Macs a year. We always get the lowest end towers available, but would never by iMacs/eMacs. We always end up getting the singles. If the singles were not available, we would get the duals. There are many others that just want a tower and don't have much of a budget. These people are going to get the minimum configuration. I really think that Apple should do away with the singles altogether.
--Laurence

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 30, 2005, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Laurence
I think having a single processor G5 hurts apple's sales more than they think. My employer buys around 50 Macs a year. We always get the lowest end towers available, but would never by iMacs/eMacs. We always end up getting the singles. If the singles were not available, we would get the duals. There are many others that just want a tower and don't have much of a budget. These people are going to get the minimum configuration. I really think that Apple should do away with the singles altogether.
That makes little sense. If it weren't for the singles, a lot of people wouldn't be buying a Power Mac at all. And many of those wouldn't be buying any Mac.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2005, 04:52 PM

I think there is some truth to that, but how much is subjective.

Where I think the single hurts Apple is on platform perception. For $1,500, the single 1.8GHz G5 really does not feel like that fast of a machine, especially with standard RAM. And unfortunately, many people's first real intro to the Mac is with Apple's lowest end expandable desktops.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I think there is some truth to that, but how much is subjective.

Where I think the single hurts Apple is on platform perception. For $1,500, the single 1.8GHz G5 really does not feel like that fast of a machine, especially with standard RAM. And unfortunately, many people's first real intro to the Mac is with Apple's lowest end expandable desktops.
I disagree. I have a new 1.8 G5 and it is plenty fast for everything I do at home, including Photoshop/Quark/InDesign, etc.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2005, 11:47 PM

In comparison to what?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett
I disagree. I have a new 1.8 G5 and it is plenty fast for everything I do at home, including Photoshop/Quark/InDesign, etc.
I agree with you, for the most part. I just went from a single 1.6 G5 to a dual 1.8 G5 and honestly in most things I can't tell much difference. iPhoto is a bit faster when clicking thru pictures, and iMovie exports are a bit faster. I do use Photoshop, but I'm not a graphics pro so I'm sure I'm not stressing it like a lot of other users would. Honestly for the plain jane stuff like email, surfing, chatting, and word processing I was totally happy with the 1.6. The dual is faster, but not by leaps and bounds. I can see the market for the single, for those of us who want more flexibility than an all-in-one.

powertrippin
Baninated
May 1, 2005, 10:16 AM

JasonRX7, no offense, but why do you even have a G5? If you're just doing crap like that, you might as well sell it and get a g4 tower and take a vacation with the extra $ or something.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by powertrippin
JasonRX7, no offense, but why do you even have a G5? If you're just doing crap like that, you might as well sell it and get a g4 tower and take a vacation with the extra $ or something.
I had a G4 tower before, it was loud. I don't need a G5, I just wanted one. Plus, I like really big monitors. I do networking for a living, but in my free time I like to edit home movies for friends and family for fun. I'm also a gadget freak. Just like having nice stuff.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 1, 2005, 05:58 PM

Heh... All I do on my machine is listen to music, talk on iChat and browse the forums.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

verbo_phobia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 12:06 AM

I had a G4 1.25 MDD, and it ran Panther okay-ish, not great. I had to sell recently due to emigrating, and now I face this same dilemma - I'd love a dual G5 but just can't afford it. I don't like the iMacs and wanted something a bit more upgradeable, so the single 1.8 is about my only option.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 4, 2005, 12:08 AM

I bought my 1.25ghz G4 not too long after the G5s came out for a grand.

Got $512 megs of ram for free with it as well.

It's more than fast enough.

I may even skip the G5 all together and wait till the G6 comes out.

verbo_phobia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Zimphire

I used a dual G4 1.42 at work alongside a dual G5 2.5, and I didn't really think the extra money was well spent on a G5.
But if you look at the technical specs of the G4 against the G5, ie FSB and AGP, the G5 *should* be much faster. I wish I understood more about how those specs really affect performance..

Zimphire
Baninated
May 4, 2005, 01:00 AM

verbo things are so fast now that most tasks you wont see a difference.

I mean it could be TWICE as fast, but who can really tell a fraction of a second faster?

NOW, when doing major processor intensive things, esp with Video or Audio, or 3D rendering, I am sure a difference will be noticed.

I do mostly 2D design so I doesn't effect me.

having lots of RAM does however.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 01:11 AM

verbo things are so fast now that most tasks you wont see a difference.

I mean it could be TWICE as fast, but who can really tell a fraction of a second faster?

NOW, when doing major processor intensive things, esp with Video or Audio, or 3D rendering, I am sure a difference will be noticed.

exactly. but in swimming that fraction of a second could decide who wins the race and who doesn't.

(sorry, big meet tomorrow)
iamwhor3hay

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
I agree with you, for the most part. I just went from a single 1.6 G5 to a dual 1.8 G5 and honestly in most things I can't tell much difference. iPhoto is a bit faster when clicking thru pictures, and iMovie exports are a bit faster. I do use Photoshop, but I'm not a graphics pro so I'm sure I'm not stressing it like a lot of other users would. Honestly for the plain jane stuff like email, surfing, chatting, and word processing I was totally happy with the 1.6. The dual is faster, but not by leaps and bounds. I can see the market for the single, for those of us who want more flexibility than an all-in-one.
Xactly. I essentially bought an expandable iMac, and the expandability is worth it to me. I till definitely ditch the 5200 and add a 250 GB drive in the near future.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by verbo_phobia
I used a dual G4 1.42 at work alongside a dual G5 2.5, and I didn't really think the extra money was well spent on a G5.
But if you look at the technical specs of the G4 against the G5, ie FSB and AGP, the G5 *should* be much faster. I wish I understood more about how those specs really affect performance..
My experience is that when the machine has to start moving a lot of data around � large Photoshop images and/or lotsa programs open at the same time � the G5s memory bandwidth really shines. I start to notice the G4s spend more time waiting.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by MrForgetable
exactly. but in swimming that fraction of a second could decide who wins the race and who doesn't.

(sorry, big meet tomorrow)
Don't take your Mac swimming, you will regret it!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

G5power  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 01:08 PM

I would buy a new G4 tower with it's expansion options for $999. For example a G4 tower with a superdrive, 512MB RAM, 120 GB HD for that price. However since the G4 towers were discontinued that is no longer an option. Additionally I would like my first Apple to be a new system _ (I realize that not all of you will understand that).

The G5 single is currently sitting at a strange price point for it's specs.

Agent69
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 01:17 PM

Your experiences pretty much are in line with mine.

I bought my single processor 1.25ghz MDD in January of last year. The only modification that I have made to the unit is to max the ram to 2GB and to add a Airport card.

For me, the main reason to buy a new PowerMac is that the MDD is a bit loud.
Agent69

G5power  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Agent69
Your experiences pretty much are in line with mine.

I bought my single processor 1.25ghz MDD in January of last year. The only modification that I have made to the unit is to max the ram to 2GB and to add a Airport card.

For me, the main reason to buy a new PowerMac is that the MDD is a bit loud.
I would do the same thing if I had the same system, drop a bunch of RAM in and then start looking for a deal on a large second HD.

I wasn't aware of the Sale page off of the Apple website and missed any deals when the G4's went away. At the time I was checking the local CompUSA and MicroCenter thinking that they would have some sort of closeout deals.

Forum Links
Forum Rules